Club Touareg Forum banner
121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
64 Posts
yep...was in this post below. But it is not a list of dealers/workshops who can assist with CR Towbar coding specifically. However, you may find a workshop who will be knowledgable than the dealer you are dealing with.
Thank you Steve. I’ll ring around after I find out more about the remaining error and see if anyone else can help clear it. The current dealer says they are working with VW to fix it. At this point I would rather find someone who may have more experience in tow bar coding.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
64 Posts
Spoke to the dealer today and VGA has finally admitted that a wire might have been damaged as part of the tow bar and brake controller installation. So now they need to get all the wiring tested to find the fault. I asked them to isolate the brake controller but they can't do that without uninstalling the whole unit. Even if they uninstall the tow bar and brake controller, the damaged wire could still exist in the can bus wiring itself. So at this point, it looks like the fault was with the installation and had nothing to do with recoding. Let's see what they come back with in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
64 Posts
Spoke to the dealer today and VGA has finally admitted that a wire might have been damaged as part of the tow bar and brake controller installation. So now they need to get all the wiring tested to find the fault. I asked them to isolate the brake controller but they can't do that without uninstalling the whole unit. Even if they uninstall the tow bar and brake controller, the damaged wire could still exist in the can bus wiring itself. So at this point, it looks like the fault was with the installation and had nothing to do with recoding. Let's see what they come back with in the next couple of days.
So after speaking to the dealer about eliminating the brake controller as a possible root cause of the error issues, I got a call confirming that they indeed found it to be caused by the brake controller installation. I’ll get more details when I pick the car up tomorrow morning. Very happy after waiting since November last year to have this issue resolved. Nothing wrong with tow bar installation. Repair invoice going out to Auto electrician from VW for the job covered under warranty. That’s going to be a big bill. His insurance won’t be happy.

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Bring it to Sydney, am certain the folks at McCarrolls will have the coding sorted for you in a jiffy

Reactions: Elb91

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
64 Posts
Bring it to Sydney, am certain the folks at McCarrolls will have the coding sorted for you in a jiffy
Ok, here is the update on what happened with my tow bar installation issues. So as you know they swapped out the Adblue tank and the main ECU for the car going on the errors that appeared after coding. That didn't fix the coding and error issues. They managed to get rid of most errors but there was still one hanging around that they were working with VWA on that. I spoke to the service manager again after speaking to a mechanic friend who suggested isolating the brake controller. When I mentioned the brake controller, the service manager asked if it had been installed at the same time as the tow bar and I said yes. Now I would have thought that the previous VW dealer that did the installation of both the tow bar and brake controller, would have mentioned that to him but doesn't look like they did. This service manager previously installed brake controllers. He checked the cabling and found that one of the main car cables had been severed by the auto electrician during the cable run for the brake controller. I actually saw the pictures they took of the wires severed all over the place. No wonder there were errors popping up that didn't make sense. They fixed the wires and it all works a treat now. I might still invest in the coding tools so I can check for myself in the future. So now it's a matter of getting the car ready to tow a 3.5t van. Install the GME UHF radio and look for new wheels. Will run out the 21's first though. It's a great tyre for now.

·
Registered
2021 Touareg 210TDI R-Line Wolfsburg Edition Pure White
89 Posts
I'm glad you've finally got it resolved, but what a horror story re the damage by the auto electrician :( . Thank goodness you arranged the brake controller wiring under the dealer's responsibility with the towbar fit.
No doubt there are lots of good tradesmen out there, but it worries the heck out of me that dealers outsource jobs and you have no idea whether the people your car ends up with might approach a computer on wheels with an HQ Holden mentality. I can't bring myself to giving the car to a sparky for a brake controller install and will go with a wireless controller instead - I definitely have trust issues.

·
Learner
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I won't let any sparkie close to my Touareg. Too much incompetence out there and modern vehicles ever so 'electronic' now

·
Registered
2019 Touareg CR 3.0 TDI
113 Posts
I agree with Singh 100%. I spent a few days installing a Redarc brake controller, VHF/UHF radio and front and rear cameras. I'd prefer to take time and know the job done properly.

·
Learner
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
I agree with Singh 100%. I spent a few days installing a Redarc brake controller, VHF/UHF radio and front and rear cameras. I'd prefer to take time and know the job done properly.
Perhaps a post on your diy would help @Malaudi 👍😃

·
Learner
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Will organize some photos and post soon Singh.
Great, that could help many from the wrath of....even if folks don't want to undertake diy, they could use the info to ensure it's done right

Reactions: Steve_L
121 - 131 of 131 Posts