Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
Just got car back today after they changed the Adblue tank to fix solid orange engine light issue. We know that it's a coding problem but oh well. Drove off and now it's throwing up an Adblue error saying it will cut the engine off in 1000km hahaha. So now they are admitting its a coding issue. Booked it in with Bayside Camberwell who are just up the road for me to get this sorted. Let's see what they diagnose. So can't really go far in my Treg until it goes back in to be diagnosed April 11th. Well at least I have a new Adblue tank hahaha. At this point the car computer can't tell there is at least 10 litres of Adblue in the tank. I also asked about having the ability to see the Adblue levels. I got told that apparently the 2021 Touareg doesn't come fitted with the Adblue level reader like the engine oil reader. I told them that it didn't make sense as there is a warning indicator at a certain level so there must be something reading the liquid level of the tank right? I didn't get a concrete answer to that one. I'll update you all as this unfolds.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
If you can share a complete scan of your touareg perhaps I help point out where the issue is, is is certainly the coding causing it.
I cannot find any measuring value for adblue level similar to let's say engine oil so they could be right, not that I am staying I am 100%
Thank you for you help Singh.🙏🏽

I’m tipping I will need to get the complete scan from the dealer? If so, do you know if it’s something they are likely to charge for and be open to giving out? What’s it likely to look like may I ask? Thanks

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
They may, else depending upon where you are check if you have a fellow ct member with vcds close to you
I’m in Melbourne but I would also be willing to purchase a vcds tool and learn how to use it. Do you have any recommendations on best place to purchase one and manual to use it with the CR? Thanks 🙏🏽

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
I could be in Melbourne next week, Aussie distributor for Ross Tech is here in Sydney..in Brookvale, look them up and place order online
Once you have it we can get into how to use etc. Fairly straightforward
It would be good to catchup when you’re in Melbourne if you have the time. I’ll look up the distributor and order one thanks 🙏🏽👍🏽

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
Does anyone have the correct coding required for the tow bar installation? Wouldn't mind sharing that with the dealer when my car goes back on March 16th to fix the supposed faulty Adblue sensor.
I have had an update about my faulty vehicle with VW for over 2 months now. They decided it was a faulty ECM in the end and had to order a new one. I have a date of 7th June and all they can tell me is that it can change and I have no other update even though I've asked them to chase up a more definitive date as to when the part will be delivered. I am just wondering whether this fault would have come with the car as new and any recoding due to towbar addition would have shown up the fault. I'm wondering whether I have grounds to escalate this matter? Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
You can escalate for sure but the problem is supply, especially anything to do with chips.
Do a full scan and share or swing by next time you're in Sydney. I would like to give it a go with recoding as is, no harm in trying
Would love to, however, VW will not release the vehicle to me without replacing the part. The car has been with them since late April. I'm not sure what I can do to get them to release the car. They say they cannot release the car to me. I didn't think they can hold the car against my will. Didn't push it because I thought it was a safety issue or liability issue for them.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
What!? That's BS, only grounds could be if it was unsafe to do so.
But if it's just the towbar module issue and any potential impact in towing unsafely then they would just ask you not to tow or remove the tongue etc.
Dealership incompetence is what I sense, sorry to hear of this
Yeah it is and I’ve escalated the issue. It was also throwing up the Adblue error saying it will not start the engine in 500k but I’m sure they can reset that and I did ask.

If it’s delayed a lot longer I will ask for my car back and I respective of what they say I’ll push to have it back while they wait for the part. Might get someone locally to reset it for me if that’s even possible??

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
Hmm, makes me think of redundancy when such a sensor fails to update the ecu. Getting a message that the car won't start in 500kms isn't something I would like if I was outback, etc.
Guess the easy way is to do a quick recode and tell the car it doesn't have scr and problem solved, till you can fix the root cause.
Why you got this issue so early in its life does make me think...
I agree. It seems to me that it either had a pre-existing issue from new or something went very wrong with the electrical work installing tow-bar and Redarc brake controller.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
For that reason I don't trust anyone, sparkles with my Touareg.
Having said that ecu for scr is tucked away in the rear right of the boot.
I can't recall if it uses the same bus signal as towing module.... Will check
Thank you. I'll have a look once I get my car back as well.
Also after telling the dealer that I have escalated, they have finally made the call to parts in Sydney for an update. Geeze they couldn't just do that in the first place? lol.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
For that reason I don't trust anyone, sparkies with my Touareg.
Having said that ecu for scr is tucked away in the rear right of the boot.
I can't recall if it uses the same bus signal as towing module.... Will check
I recall someone here had a list of dealers that were competent at installing and coding the vehicle. I think it was a spreadsheet.

Can someone please upload it. Would much appreciate it.

The reason I ask is after waiting 2 months for my car to be repaired after the tow bar was installed, they still can’t get rid of all the errors. They have replaced the control unit and still have one more error. I’m about to speak with them about what that error is and ask for my car back to take somewhere else.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
yep...was in this post below. But it is not a list of dealers/workshops who can assist with CR Towbar coding specifically. However, you may find a workshop who will be knowledgable than the dealer you are dealing with.
Thank you Steve. I’ll ring around after I find out more about the remaining error and see if anyone else can help clear it. The current dealer says they are working with VW to fix it. At this point I would rather find someone who may have more experience in tow bar coding.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
Spoke to the dealer today and VGA has finally admitted that a wire might have been damaged as part of the tow bar and brake controller installation. So now they need to get all the wiring tested to find the fault. I asked them to isolate the brake controller but they can't do that without uninstalling the whole unit. Even if they uninstall the tow bar and brake controller, the damaged wire could still exist in the can bus wiring itself. So at this point, it looks like the fault was with the installation and had nothing to do with recoding. Let's see what they come back with in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
Spoke to the dealer today and VGA has finally admitted that a wire might have been damaged as part of the tow bar and brake controller installation. So now they need to get all the wiring tested to find the fault. I asked them to isolate the brake controller but they can't do that without uninstalling the whole unit. Even if they uninstall the tow bar and brake controller, the damaged wire could still exist in the can bus wiring itself. So at this point, it looks like the fault was with the installation and had nothing to do with recoding. Let's see what they come back with in the next couple of days.
So after speaking to the dealer about eliminating the brake controller as a possible root cause of the error issues, I got a call confirming that they indeed found it to be caused by the brake controller installation. I’ll get more details when I pick the car up tomorrow morning. Very happy after waiting since November last year to have this issue resolved. Nothing wrong with tow bar installation. Repair invoice going out to Auto electrician from VW for the job covered under warranty. That’s going to be a big bill. His insurance won’t be happy.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
Bring it to Sydney, am certain the folks at McCarrolls will have the coding sorted for you in a jiffy
Ok, here is the update on what happened with my tow bar installation issues. So as you know they swapped out the Adblue tank and the main ECU for the car going on the errors that appeared after coding. That didn't fix the coding and error issues. They managed to get rid of most errors but there was still one hanging around that they were working with VWA on that. I spoke to the service manager again after speaking to a mechanic friend who suggested isolating the brake controller. When I mentioned the brake controller, the service manager asked if it had been installed at the same time as the tow bar and I said yes. Now I would have thought that the previous VW dealer that did the installation of both the tow bar and brake controller, would have mentioned that to him but doesn't look like they did. This service manager previously installed brake controllers. He checked the cabling and found that one of the main car cables had been severed by the auto electrician during the cable run for the brake controller. I actually saw the pictures they took of the wires severed all over the place. No wonder there were errors popping up that didn't make sense. They fixed the wires and it all works a treat now. I might still invest in the coding tools so I can check for myself in the future. So now it's a matter of getting the car ready to tow a 3.5t van. Install the GME UHF radio and look for new wheels. Will run out the 21's first though. It's a great tyre for now.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
I'm glad you've finally got it resolved, but what a horror story re the damage by the auto electrician :( . Thank goodness you arranged the brake controller wiring under the dealer's responsibility with the towbar fit.
No doubt there are lots of good tradesmen out there, but it worries the heck out of me that dealers outsource jobs and you have no idea whether the people your car ends up with might approach a computer on wheels with an HQ Holden mentality. I can't bring myself to giving the car to a sparky for a brake controller install and will go with a wireless controller instead - I definitely have trust issues.
Yep I definitely have trust issues now after that ordeal. Finding a reliable auto electrician is a huge problem for owners of these cars. My next thing is to get the GME UHF fitted. Might learn how to do that one myself.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
Mate when you installed your redarc break controller did you attach it to anything? Mine was installed and it’s just dangling up under the steering wheel column and I’m having the odd issue with it either flashing red or blue green which means it’s either constantly learning. Have a feeling it should be fixed to something.
I'll get photo of where mine is installed.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts