Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
After months of waiting the new ebox/module for the towbar was available for the M21 Touareg.
I don't know what exactly has changed but this module is different to the previous years.
Few pictures of the installation, highly recommend VW towbar installation, all up there were 9 modules recoded and the 10th ie 69 was installed, so you can imagine how much the electronics are interconnected.
Following modules have to be recoded for the towbar:
09, 13, 17, 3C, 46, 6D, 74, A5, CF and finally 69.
The kickopen function continues to work well, just kick anywhere on either side of the towbar
Would be interesting to see, compare what aftermarket installers do...
The additional indicator on VC is cool, alerting that the blinkers on the trailer are working/flashing, with the 1 on it.
Towed the jetski around and tested it works well. The start stop gets remapped- doesn't switch off as often, going downhill it drops into lower gear compared to not having the trailer, rear traffic alert etc are disabled- it alerts/reminds you on the vc as you start and then goes away, note remains in the vehicle status messages if you want to scroll...
All up a very neat install with everything working the way it should be.
When reversing to hitch the trailer the guided line to the receiver of the trailer which comes up on the screen is very accurate, line it up and raise the suspension to latch, too easy!
Few pictures
View attachment 246677
View attachment 246678
View attachment 246679
View attachment 246680
Thanks for the pics. Just wondering did they cut out any of the back bumper to fit the towbar? I can't quite tell from the pic. Mine is due to get fitted at Beachside VW first week of December and not really keen for them to do a cut out if they don't have to. Thanks.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
Hi, yes, the plastic bumper has to be cutout to have the tow bar pop through, refer picture in post 7 above.
If you can't make out the cut out section then they have done a good job.
This is where it all depends on the tech and their skill, leads to variability in the work given there's no factory cutout.
Good luck. I recommend hooking up a trailer there and then when you go to pickup post install, test it all out inc the kick open function.
Wow they did a great job then, thanks for clarifying that. I'll give them that photo and hopefully they'll be able to get something close to it hahaha. I'll definitely test it out when I'm there with a trailer.
I've decided to hang off getting the break controller fitted at the same time. I'm looking to use this mob up in Stafford Queensland to fit TowPro, Street Navigation & Hema 4WD Nav - https://advancedice.com.au/recent-installations_volkswagen/#vwtouareg

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
Like Singh's mine was cut but only below the towbar and you pretty much need to get down to towbar level to see it. The shiny black party of the bumper cover is bowed slightly upwards by the hitch receiver, but a) you need to look real close to notice and b) I'd rather have a bit of flexible plastic bowed a bit than a much more obvious cutout around the top of the receiver
View attachment 247695 View attachment 247696 View attachment 247697
Brilliant! Thank heaps for the photo. I will pass that on as well so they do as neat of a job as possible. Cheers.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
Oh by the way there is a delay in the Street Navigation & Hema 4WD Nav chips for the Touareg due to world wide chip shortage. Not sure what that's about but again we have to wait for another part for the Touareg.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
Got it, yes have heard of their products and resellers here but haven't used any of it. I saw the video, would be good for someone to confirm if there are any bugs and interferences across the canbus and other networks.
Let us know how you go if you choose to use it, them.
I will let you know once they can get the chips into the country and then see whether I'll get it done.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
Had mine done recently and sensor works fine but for some reason my engine light stays permanently on. They said it doesn't affect anything but i need to take it back so they can work through with UK to find why its happening. Little things like the Sat Nav is a little slow to start up after coding but nothing else major.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
Yep...it seems that way. I also had the tow pro put in as well but they reckon the issue happened after tow bar was installed.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
That doesn't sound right, there should be no impact on nav booting up and there should be no engine light come on.
They obviously have no idea on how to code it properly
Now it seems that when they fitted the towbar, it caused an issue with the Adblue sensor. They now have to order a new Adblue tank with the sensor from Germany which takes 2 weeks. They can't read the Adblue level and don't how much is in the tank so advised to not drive the car. So they organised a hire car with Allianz. So the saga continues to fix the solid engine light issue. They reckon its to do with Adblue sensor issue. Let's see...

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
From what I know it's the incorrect coding that's causing the solid engine light... Recode BCM and .....oh well let's see if replacing adblue tank and sensor helps....bizarre
Yeah let's see what they come back with. Not holding my breath.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
I don't think I have an Adblue tank in my Launch Edition? Can't you just put 20l in and drive it anyway? Surely that will last 2 weeks?
I woke up thinking exactly the same thing. Have just called them to buzz me back so I can pick my car. Rather it be with me fir 2 weeks for sure.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
I woke up thinking exactly the same thing. Have just called them to buzz me back so I can pick my car. Rather it be with me fir 2 weeks for sure.
Got my car back!

Spoke to VW as to why they needed to keep my car for two weeks. Answer was “we are concerned that we/you can’t see the Adblue level”. I took my 10 litre Adblue container with me and said that I’ll top it up with that and wait the two weeks for the tank to arrive thanks 😀😀

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
Got my car back!

Spoke to VW as to why they needed to keep my car for two weeks. Answer was “we are concerned that we/you can’t see the Adblue level”. I took my 10 litre Adblue container with me and said that I’ll top it up with that and wait the two weeks for the tank to arrive thanks 😀😀
Does anyone have the correct coding required for the tow bar installation? Wouldn't mind sharing that with the dealer when my car goes back on March 16th to fix the supposed faulty Adblue sensor.

·
Registered
MY21 V8 Wolfsburg Black
77 Posts
It's a bit complex, there's no standard coding from what I know, reason being each model is different, even within the CR range there are differences across the years, and then there are differences based on optional features, take adblue, scr and module as an example, 2019 models here never got it so coding is different.
Having said that there are some common coding across the standard modules.
I scanned mine before and after installation, which was done perfectly, and have reported the modules that need coding but didn't spend the hour to map reach bit and byte changed.

Given the V8 and V6 Wolfsburg models are exactly the same except for the additional 2 cylinders ie extra engine ecu you will be safe to take this list and ensure they code the listed modules.
When I get some time I will try and extract exact changes.
Sorry did I miss where the list is you mentioned above, to ensure they code the listed modules? Thanks 🙏

1 - 20 of 44 Posts