Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Touareg 210TDI R-Line Wolfsburg Edition Pure White
145 Posts
My experience so far. The install was done by the pre-delivery facility of Lennock VW in Canberra, quoted and billed as 4 hours - but 4 hours in VW dealer speak is $720! The kit was $1690, so $2410 all up.
No complaints about the physical installation, although the hitch rattles and clanks in the receiver over decent bumps. No anti-rattle bolt as standard.
Still no kick to open, despite several recoding attempts the day after fitting. They didn't try to fob me off, but they don't seem to know how to make it work. I'll take it back on a work trip in a couple of weeks and hopefully they'll have got the answer from VWA by then. The owners manual is explicit in saying that kick to open works for factory fitted towing so it's odd that some dealers can get it right and both here in Canberra haven't.
If anyone knows what the correct coding changes from pre-towbar should look like I'd appreciate it. I don't have my own scanning tools but perhaps being able to show Lennocks what they need to change might help. I gave them the list of modules from post #1 but they apparently had those anyway.
Even though it takes a second or two to activate, kick to open is proving surprisingly useful and I really don't want to lose it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a call from the pre-delivery centre today confirming they had been following up the problem with VWA and think it's probably the location of the sensor, as they are using coding confirmed to work on other MY21s. Car's booked next week to pull the bar and move the sensor. Seems they haven't done many MY21s until mine with the shortage of parts, but now they have a flood. Shame they didn't get it right first time, but their attitude and followup has been very positive.

On the plus side I tried out the towball guide line to our van last week. Centimetre if not millimeter perfect. My wife was a great guide before Touareg, but she's out of a job now!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Like Singh's mine was cut but only below the towbar and you pretty much need to get down to towbar level to see it. The shiny black party of the bumper cover is bowed slightly upwards by the hitch receiver, but a) you need to look real close to notice and b) I'd rather have a bit of flexible plastic bowed a bit than a much more obvious cutout around the top of the receiver
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bumper Wood
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grille Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
145 Posts
Back to the dealer pre delivery centre today apparently to have the kick to open sensor moved to one side so it's not behind the hitch. It now at least works, but seems fussier than before fitting the towbar. I'll live with it for a while and learn the quirks before deciding whether it is a pass or fail.

Seems it was just bad luck for me that mine was the first MY21 they had done before I complained and they found out that the sensor move is required . You'd think that would be in the tow bar kit fitting work instruction ... :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
newbie with a 2021 210 Elegance My22. What should I be expecting as a ballpark for installing OEM towbar kit and EBC of some description- perhaps Redarc.
Just after rough estimates so no need to name any dealers at this stage.
Thanks.
VW Towbar and associated modules were about $2300 installed. Don't think about trying to skimp on adding the correct VW modules. The towbar itself fits neatly and keeps the ball overhang where VW specifies for ball weight management.

Yet to tow with it, but I'll be using an Elecbrakes trailer mounted EBC which has programming and manual override on a remote that connects to the trailer unit via Bluetooth. No vehicle side wiring required at all

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm glad you've finally got it resolved, but what a horror story re the damage by the auto electrician :( . Thank goodness you arranged the brake controller wiring under the dealer's responsibility with the towbar fit.
No doubt there are lots of good tradesmen out there, but it worries the heck out of me that dealers outsource jobs and you have no idea whether the people your car ends up with might approach a computer on wheels with an HQ Holden mentality. I can't bring myself to giving the car to a sparky for a brake controller install and will go with a wireless controller instead - I definitely have trust issues.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mate when you installed your redarc break controller did you attach it to anything? Mine was installed and it’s just dangling up under the steering wheel column and I’m having the odd issue with it either flashing red or blue green which means it’s either constantly learning. Have a feeling it should be fixed to something.
Unbelievable. Your installer was little short of negligent.

The connection to the brake lights circuit tells the controller to respond to the subsequent initial deceleration which for a fraction of a second is due to vehicle brakes only, but the operation of the caravan brakes depends on the deceleration sensed internally by the accelerometers in the brake controller, and if it is floating it will not sense that initial vehicle deceleration properly and likely the braking signal to the van will be delayed. And flopping around could generate inconsistent braking signals.

If you have any recourse to the installer I'd be asking for a serious please explain

1 - 7 of 7 Posts