Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After months of waiting the new ebox/module for the towbar was available for the M21 Touareg.
I don't know what exactly has changed but this module is different to the previous years.
Few pictures of the installation, highly recommend VW towbar installation, all up there were 9 modules recoded and the 10th ie 69 was installed, so you can imagine how much the electronics are interconnected.
Following modules have to be recoded for the towbar:
09, 13, 17, 3C, 46, 6D, 74, A5, 5F and finally 69.
The kickopen function continues to work well, just kick anywhere on either side of the towbar
Would be interesting to see, compare what aftermarket installers do...
The additional indicator on VC is cool, alerting that the blinkers on the trailer are working/flashing, with the 1 on it.
Towed the jetski around and tested it works well. The start stop gets remapped- doesn't switch off as often, going downhill it drops into lower gear compared to not having the trailer, rear traffic alert etc are disabled- it alerts/reminds you on the vc as you start and then goes away, note remains in the vehicle status messages if you want to scroll...
All up a very neat install with everything working the way it should be.
When reversing to hitch the trailer the guided line to the receiver of the trailer which comes up on the screen is very accurate, line it up and raise the suspension to latch, too easy!
Few pictures
Hood Automotive tire Automotive tail & brake light Tire Table

Speedometer Odometer Gauge Vehicle Automotive design

Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

Speedometer Gauge Line Odometer Plant

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m quite surprised you didn’t factory order it with the tow package.
Would love to, and have the articulated towbar but for some reason ADR(Aussie design rules) have a problem with it and as such VW provide a dealer install option only...grrr

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the UK they short-changed Gen 2 owners who didn't order a factory fitted towbar with a 600 watt coolant fan versus the 850 watt that came with the towbar.

Hotter climates seemed to get the 850 watts as standard.

I'd be interested to know what wattage your Gen 3 coolant fan is rated at down under.

It's a bit hard to reach the fan label but I believe it can be done using a mobile phone.
That's another good point for I would go for the factory towbar.
I will check that....my towing involves tugging a mere 500kgs or so from home to the closest boat ramp to launch the jetski

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My experience so far. The install was done by the pre-delivery facility of Lennock VW in Canberra, quoted and billed as 4 hours - but 4 hours in VW dealer speak is $720! The kit was $1690, so $2410 all up.
No complaints about the physical installation, although the hitch rattles and clanks in the receiver over decent bumps. No anti-rattle bolt as standard.
Still no kick to open, despite several recoding attempts the day after fitting. They didn't try to fob me off, but they don't seem to know how to make it work. I'll take it back on a work trip in a couple of weeks and hopefully they'll have got the answer from VWA by then. The owners manual is explicit in saying that kick to open works for factory fitted towing so it's odd that some dealers can get it right and both here in Canberra haven't.
If anyone knows what the correct coding changes from pre-towbar should look like I'd appreciate it. I don't have my own scanning tools but perhaps being able to show Lennocks what they need to change might help. I gave them the list of modules from post #1 but they apparently had those anyway.
Even though it takes a second or two to activate, kick to open is proving surprisingly useful and I really don't want to lose it.
Hi, They should have installed the antirattle bolt down below, refer pic.
Re the kick open , the physical sensor is from the towbar out, if you sneak a peek from the exhaust looking inside the bumper you can almost see it, so if you kick in and out either side it works perfectly.
Get them to speak to VW HO or VW Mccarrolls, else come by when you're in sydney, you have the same spec vehicle as I, so should be easy to copy across.
Beyond the coding changes there could be adaptations that have been changed which I haven't done a pre and post of, amid other setup changes :)

Gas Bumper Auto part Machine Metal

Reactions: Elb91 and Wolfy

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the pics. Just wondering did they cut out any of the back bumper to fit the towbar? I can't quite tell from the pic. Mine is due to get fitted at Beachside VW first week of December and not really keen for them to do a cut out if they don't have to. Thanks.
Hi, yes, the plastic bumper has to be cutout to have the tow bar pop through, refer picture in post 7 above.
If you can't make out the cut out section then they have done a good job.
This is where it all depends on the tech and their skill, leads to variability in the work given there's no factory cutout.
Good luck. I recommend hooking up a trailer there and then when you go to pickup post install, test it all out inc the kick open function.

Reactions: Elb91

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh by the way there is a delay in the Street Navigation & Hema 4WD Nav chips for the Touareg due to world wide chip shortage. Not sure what that's about but again we have to wait for another part for the Touareg.
Not sure if I understand that, Street navigation and HEMA specifically for the touareg?

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will let you know once they can get the chips into the country and then see whether I'll get it done.
Until then start saving the $2500 they charge apparently

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Had mine done recently and sensor works fine but for some reason my engine light stays permanently on. They said it doesn't affect anything but i need to take it back so they can work through with UK to find why its happening. Little things like the Sat Nav is a little slow to start up after coding but nothing else major.
That doesn't sound right, there should be no impact on nav booting up and there should be no engine light come on.
They obviously have no idea on how to code it properly

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
And they wanted to have the car for a week to find the problem and I said no way, fix it within 2 days thanks.
That's rubbish, is this a VW dealer you are referring to?
I could do this all in about 10mins.

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Try mt Gravatt, ask for Willem

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Normally out to Moreton Island, in Moreton Bay. There are a bunch of wrecks out there and we can also go on the Eastern side (ocean side) to go whale watching in the right season!
Might catch you around, ride a mere jetski

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Reactions: Snerlo

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Hey Singh, did you get a brake controller or Anderson put in as well?
Nope, not yet, but thats a diy for me. I don't trust any of the sparkies for the quality I seek in installation of either, have seen some of the work others have accepted, not for me.
Brake controller simply gets plugged in, into existing wiring in the footwell, only part you need to decide and appropriately place is the knob to set the control.
Anderson, similarly, run a wire from the source ie battery to the back, follow the towbar cables at the back, there are outlets, grommets on either rear ends...

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Now it seems that when they fitted the towbar, it caused an issue with the Adblue sensor. They now have to order a new Adblue tank with the sensor from Germany which takes 2 weeks. They can't read the Adblue level and don't how much is in the tank so advised to not drive the car. So they organised a hire car with Allianz. So the saga continues to fix the solid engine light issue. They reckon its to do with Adblue sensor issue. Let's see...
From what I know it's the incorrect coding that's causing the solid engine light... Recode BCM and .....oh well let's see if replacing adblue tank and sensor helps....bizarre

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I think Adblue came into Australian Tregs around the T4 ( gen 2 facelift) in 2015. My 2013 certainly does not have it

cheers
Rohan
Was there in some Aus T1 Touaregs as well, especially the R50 and V10s.
Don't think any 7Ps got it here in Australia.
2019 CRs don't have it either. Came in again with euro6 from 2020

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Also strange that on my wife's Tiguan it has info on the Adblue in the digital screen info, but nothing in mine?
Can you take a picture of the screen please.
Would be good to get a scan of the car as well, unsure where you are.
Wouldn't mind enabling the same on the touareg

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
We are in Dayboro. Wife's Tiguan diesel got stolen 4 months ago. She now has a Tiguan 162 petrol R-line. Sorry mate 🙂
My Launch Edition defo doesn't have Adblue 👍
Sorry to hear that, hope she's enjoying the petrol replacement, but a bad engine that and none of the diesel issues.
Yep, launch editions missed out on the added complexity of reducing global emissions

Reactions: Kiwitd

·
Learner
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Does anyone have the correct coding required for the tow bar installation? Wouldn't mind sharing that with the dealer when my car goes back on March 16th to fix the supposed faulty Adblue sensor.
It's a bit complex, there's no standard coding from what I know, reason being each model is different, even within the CR range there are differences across the years, and then there are differences based on optional features, take adblue, scr and module as an example, 2019 models here never got it so coding is different.
Having said that there are some common coding across the standard modules.
I scanned mine before and after installation, which was done perfectly, and have reported the modules that need coding but didn't spend the hour to map reach bit and byte changed.

Given the V8 and V6 Wolfsburg models are exactly the same except for the additional 2 cylinders ie extra engine ecu you will be safe to take this list and ensure they code the listed modules.
When I get some time I will try and extract exact changes.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts