Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my roof frame replaced last month on the MY16 Touareg (under warranty), after noticing noises when opening the sunroof.

The dealer tells me that he had done this repair to a number of Touaregs.

All good you say. Not quite. When the sunshade is fully open/back, I have noticed a tapping/clanging noise when going over certain roads imperfections.

The noise goes away when the sunshade is not fully open.

I haven't yet been able to figure out what road imperfection triggers the noise, but when it triggers, I can easily hear the noise when the right tyre travels over the square raised road markers.

I noticed there was a mention of a noise after a user replaced the roof frame (in a related thread for the T3 Touareg), that was caused by a missing/loose clip:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/t3-panoramic-sunroof-problems-220378.html#post1345274

Has anyone heard such a noise, when the sunshade is fully open? I expect this noise is a result of the dealer pulling off the roof lining and whatever other bits and putting them back again.

The dealer has mentioned to bring the car in for them to check out the noise, but as I can't reproduce the noise all the time, I don't want the excessive dealer kilometers put on the car, and then being told they have fixed (not) or could not reproduce.

I have also attached the service report and the parts replaced.

MY16 Touareg Roof Frame replacement job details.jpg

Interestingly there were two black screws left in the back of the car.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My 2016 Touareg had 2x sunroof frames last year - 1st to cured detatched drains - and 2nd as dealer was dissastisfied with the operation of the first.

It looks likely it now needs its 3rd replacement frame as parts have broken around the wind deflector and the anti-trap circuitry is preventing the sunroof being closed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
In the early 90's I learned Volkswagen sunroofs work best if they are never operated. I've used the sunroof at least 10 times in my Jetta wagon since I bought it new in 2004, and haven't had a failure yet. My Touareg's sunroof has been opened at least twice that I can recall. No issues yet.

Just a pet peeve of mine, but I hate bundled options like sunroofs and automatic transmissions. I'd happy pay an extra $1,000 for a sunroof delete option. No noise reverberation, no potential leaks, no weight in the car where it is needed least....

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2016 Touareg had 2x sunroof frames last year - 1st to cured detatched drains - and 2nd as dealer was dissastisfied with the operation of the first.

It looks likely it now needs its 3rd replacement frame as parts have broken around the wind deflector and the anti-trap circuitry is preventing the sunroof being closed.
Sorry to hear that you have had repeat issues with your sunroof.

Hopefully you get it sorted out on the 3rd attempt.

I will look to find some roads near the dealer that reproduce the noise and then book it in to get it sorted out this vibration type noise when the sunshade is fully open. Worst case scenario, I don't have the sunshade fully open.

·
Learner
4,637 Posts
No issues for me so far, works well in all scenarios. But it appears this is a weak point as its been reported by several owners

·
Registered
132 Posts
Same here, use mine on my 2014 almost daily this time of year, zero problems. To be honest I'd be VERY wary letting any dealer do major work on something like the sunroof, it just feels like something they probably don't often do and there's a greater likelihood they'll screw it up. I reckon that's what happened here.

·
Registered
301 Posts
As a note. If you ever get an annoying rubber on rubber squeaking sound - and it can be annoying if right in you ear - just get some Gummy Pledge rubber lubricant. Such a simple fix. All quiet then. I raise this in case you go to a dealer with this noise like I did. The damage those apes did to the car trying to sort this out sigh . . .

·
Learner
4,637 Posts
Same here, use mine on my 2014 almost daily this time of year, zero problems. To be honest I'd be VERY wary letting any dealer do major work on something like the sunroof, it just feels like something they probably don't often do and there's a greater likelihood they'll screw it up. I reckon that's what happened here.
X2

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If it's a warranty job you're stuck with the dealer.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe VW/Audi has a tube of lubricant available specifically for panoramic sunroofs. Also, there are videos on YouTube which illustrate the lube areas and detail the process quite nicely. I looked into the lube process for the new 2017Alltrack panoramic roof noisiness; however, mine was eventually replace by dealer under warranty... sounds like this issue occurs across models/platforms...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just want to revive this thread... I previously owned 2 Vw jettas that were virtually bulletproof before getting my 2016 V6 Touareg as a VW CPO “peace of mind” pre-owned car. This vehicle was my dream when I was in university.

This will be my last VW. I was willing to stomach the rough idle at start and engine light as they covered a “TerraClean” which somewhat helped.

Then the rain started and the soaked passenger A-Pillar and the floor appeared. At first they said the hose came off and sent me home.

Wasn’t the case. The pano roof frame had a hairline crack/fracture and has been at the dealer since May 23, 2019.

I am on the 4th month of it sitting in the shop with no real answer as to when this part will arrive.

Yes, they are paying for my loaner but the loaner is a crappy basic Tiguan that can’t tow and has 2-wheel drive.

Do I have a play here or am I screwed? VW customer service of Canada gave me a case manager that never returns calls. And the dealer remains clueless.

This is so ****ed. Never again Vw. Just sad from a business standpoint.

I could have easily afforded an X5 but went with VW based on the previous reliability and service I’d experienced.

I really love the car but the company has put a sour taste in my mouth. Thoughts? 😔

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
TouaregCam
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing