Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok So my Towrag has 32000km and the pad warning light has come on. Pulled the wheels off, and the pads have about 4-5mm left all round. There are lips on all rotors, front worse then back.

Front are 31 and 30.5mm respectively, so just within spec.

So i need to replace pads and rotors on the front and just the pads on the rear.

QUESTION.....

Can you please tell me a decent rotor and pad combo that will not wear down again in 30000km and that does not produce so much dust that you get asbestosis every-time you stomp on the brakes.

I want a decent HD set of rotors for the front and a decent set of pads please.

I need to replace these within a month so any help is greatly appreciated. :nerd:

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It is very unusual for a Touareg to go through its brakes in such a short distance.

50-60,000 miles plus would be much more the norm with a few getting to 100,000 miles!

What sort of driving do you do?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its all town driving and Hobart is very hilly.

Other than that, NFI.

So any advice is much appropriated

·
Registered
3,630 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
When you changed the discs and pads, check that the calipers are working correctly.

And the first brake fluid change is due at 3 years, thereafter every 2 years, so you might want to do that at the same time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m in Hobart as well, also with a 2016 150TDi with 53k on the clock but with no brake wear indications. I know Hobart is hilly but not sure how that sort of wear happens.
In any case, I can think of two options that I would take: One, go & talk to Andrew Robinson in Pearl St Moonah, the best VW mechanic I know of (& no, no affiliation other than having built & cared for our 76 Kombi for 16 years & service all our other VW vehicles over that time).
If Andrew can’t help you (which I would find startling) I would go to ABS in Elizabeth St to see what they suggest.
Andrew’s number is 6272 1137.
And our Touareg is going there tomorrow for service. Have never taken it to VW dealer as don’t like the idea of first year apprentice working on it & being charged full hourly rates plus nearly $30 litre for oil. Andrew is a fully qualified VW mechanic with aroun 40 years experience & charges fairly.
He also raced VW Golfs some time back so is conversant with suitable modifications for our vehicles.
That’s my 2 cents worth, I hope it is helpful.

Kombi-76

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
That looks like a jolly spiffing recommendation!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts