Club Touareg Forum banner

MY10 Roof "ribs" peeling?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Njord 
#1 ·
Just noticed this yesterday on my 2010 model. The leading edge on all the ribs are chipping, and there are a few bubbles also. 70k miles, second owner - is this something I should take up with VW? The pieces appear to be painted, which is surprising given that the actual roof rails are polished aluminum.

Has anyone experienced similar?

See less See more
#4 ·
This has happened on both of my 04 V10's. I bought new rails for both but just started to replace them. The part is plastic with 2 thin 3M adhesive strips. When you pull the old parts the adhesive strip remains about 50% attached to the roof. Nothing will remove the old adhesive that I have tried so far. I went to a VW approved collision center and asked advice and they recommended a 3M eraser wheel. I have purchased the wheel but have yet to try it. If I had not removed the original strips I would have just masked off the rails and used a shaker can of paint to renew the strips.

If someone is interested, I do have a second set of replacement strips that I was going to use on my second 04 V10Tdi. That car is being used as the doner for my Corvette swap so I have no need for them.

#5 ·
3M adhesive remover

Blownvette,

Have you tried 3M Adhesive Remover? I've used this stuff for almost 30 years and it has never failed me.

3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner Quart 08984

First used it working at a body shop that specialized in German cars while in high school. Always had a can on hand since.

#6 · (Edited)
Blownvette,

Have you tried 3M Adhesive Remover? I've used this stuff for almost 30 years and it has never failed me.

3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner Quart 08984

First used it working at a body shop that specialized in German cars while in high school. Always had a can on hand since.
Check out the 3M adhesive remover wheel, was the only thing that would remove the adhesive. Once clean I decided not to replace the roof slats, liked the bare look.

#11 ·
Parts number to be exact :)
7L6 861 561 9B9 (outer) and 7L6 861 465 9B9 (inner).
Satinschwarz color. My black strips are still OK and I hate everything pseudo luxurious in peeling off silver. (Especially on sunny days when you stay behind T3 with that f...ing shining stripe on top of the rear bumper).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.