Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3,500 miles on my conti x contacts. Developed SWS shortly after install. I had this done right when i purchased it.
Balance at VW to no avail.

Made sure dealer followed TSB and I did the TSb myself.

While out of town I took it to a Porsche dealer. Since during the trip sometimes it was acceptable, others not. Happens above 65 mph.

Dealer comes back and says...you have flat spots in your tires.

They said they can balance or balance and do some full road force job, but basically the tires are jacked.

My Greg does sit alot. Probably drive once or twice a week for about 100 miles.

But the question arises, if I get vw to replace tires, which I doubt, won't this tire get flat spots again? Should I have gone with a v rated tire instead of h?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I wouldn't have thought you would get flat spots after just a few days standing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Tires can develop flat spots from sitting for just a few hours after the tire "cools". The flat spots go away as the vehicle is driven and the tires heat up. Hence why the VW TSB mentions this and to also have the RFB done just after the vehicle is driven and not after sitting.
That being said, new tires when manufactured can have flat spots as well. Mine did and even after the RFB and TSB followed I had a slight SWS. The SWS went away after driving the vehicle for 500 miles or so. Felt great after that. I'm assuming a very slight amount of wear/scrubbing from driving occurred to minimize the manufacturing flat spots enough to get rid of the SWS. This is just in my case and just my opinion on the matter.

The same happened with the 18" OEM VW rims and new snow tires I just had installed. The SWS was there when done but is now gone.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update here. After driving 400 miles on Porsche re-balanced the tires. There is improvement in SWS for sure.

But, it still happens just more random. It starts at 65 to 70 and is the worst at 75.

HOWEVER, at times 75 is smooth with now SWS. Then maybe some road condition change or other condition happens and then I get SWS.

So, that said. I am tending to agree that the tires are jacked, because if it was incorrect mounting, it would be felt at all times.

The tires are obviously adjusting to road condition.

The Plan: Today I opened a claim with Conti, and tomorrow I am having a new set of TerrainContacts installed. 109V rated, light terrain tire.

If my new tires do not solve the problem. I am back to the dealer for steering gear fix. I don't see that I have any other options.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tires can develop flat spots from sitting for just a few hours after the tire "cools". The flat spots go away as the vehicle is driven and the tires heat up. Hence why the VW TSB mentions this and to also have the RFB done just after the vehicle is driven and not after sitting.
That being said, new tires when manufactured can have flat spots as well. Mine did and even after the RFB and TSB followed I had a slight SWS. The SWS went away after driving the vehicle for 500 miles or so. Felt great after that. I'm assuming a very slight amount of wear/scrubbing from driving occurred to minimize the manufacturing flat spots enough to get rid of the SWS. This is just in my case and just my opinion on the matter.

The same happened with the 18" OEM VW rims and new snow tires I just had installed. The SWS was there when done but is now gone.

That is good to know because Discount Tire offers a 30 day exchange. So, If I have SWS after new set of tires, I should drive at least 500 miles within 30 days.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Did they follow the VW TSB on re-mounting the wheels/tires on the vehicle after the Porsche re-balance?

When you get your new tires RFB'd ask them to follow the VW TSB on remounting them to the vehicle. Attached is a copy below that you can print out and bring with you. Also if they are doing a RFB ask them if the wheels or new tires had any flat spots.
Let us know how it worked out.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. New Conti TerrainContacts are on.

The tires are great. I really like the feel and the look. Shop said they only found 1 tire with flat spots.

The bad. SWS is reduced, but still there 70 to 80. It is not horrible, but its there.
I checked PSI. 36 in front, and 42 in rear. I provided the techs with the TSB.

What should I do? Try lowering PSI, give it 500 miles, contact VW about steering gear.

I can't believe this. Why is it so hard?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Update. New Conti TerrainContacts are on.

The tires are great. I really like the feel and the look. Shop said they only found 1 tire with flat spots.

The bad. SWS is reduced, but still there 70 to 80. It is not horrible, but its there.
I checked PSI. 36 in front, and 42 in rear. I provided the techs with the TSB.

What should I do? Try lowering PSI, give it 500 miles, contact VW about steering gear.

I can't believe this. Why is it so hard?

I bet the tech hammered down the wheel lug bolts with an impact gun. They need to be tightened in proper order with a torque wrench.

It’s not the tires causing SWS, it comes down to improper wheel mounting. Get a floor jack and torque wrench and do it yourself, the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bet the tech hammered down the wheel lug bolts with an impact gun. They need to be tightened in proper order with a torque wrench.

I provided the TSB. It looked like they followed it from what I saw. The only thing different was that they said they use impact to 65lbs, then hand torque to spec.

I am bringing it back Monday. To have them re-check everything.

But remember, I had this at porche just days earlier. and watched them implement TSB.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I provided the TSB. It looked like they followed it from what I saw. The only thing different was that they said they use impact to 65lbs, then hand torque to spec.

I am bringing it back Monday. To have them re-check everything.

But remember, I had this at porche just days earlier. and watched them implement TSB.

I never had any luck with VW or Audi shops fixing SWS on two different Touaregs that I’ve owned. It was really frustrating, so I just started to mount the wheels on myself and that has worked so far with 5 different sets of tires.

Use your wheel hanger tool to get all the holes lined up and tighten in a star pattern in increments of 30 (30, 60, 90, and finally 133) The first tightening at 30 is the most crucial to properly mount the wheel to the hub.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The first tightening at 30 is the most crucial to properly mount the wheel to the hub.

This is true and since they used a torque gun at 65lbs. for the initial tightening, it might be why you have the SWS still. Remount them correctly and IMO drive the vehicle at least a few hundred miles if the SWS is there still but very minimal. This will give the tires a chance to wear a little/reduce flat spots and as I said, in my case totally got rid of the SWS.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is true and since they used a torque gun at 65lbs. for the initial tightening, it might be why you have the SWS still. Remount them correctly and IMO drive the vehicle at least a few hundred miles if the SWS is there still but very minimal. This will give the tires a chance to wear a little/reduce flat spots and as I said, in my case totally got rid of the SWS.
Going to VW Tuesday. We will see. Talked to a Toyota Tech, he said they have the same problem on 4 runners and had to follow a specific RF procedure, etc to correct.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update here.

Took it to the new VW dealer and after test driving it, they said basically, they are not confident they can get it any better.

This is what I expected and thankfully cost me nothing.

I have decided I am not spending anymore money on trying to correct the issue. I will spend a little bit more time, as discount tire is will re-balance for free.

I am bringing it back to them to do so and will insist again they follow the TSB.

That will be it, after that. I can't spend anymore time solving it. Ill drive it for a year, then decide if i want to trade it in for something. Maybe the diesel jeeps will be out by then.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just want to chime in and say I have a 2014 lux with 19" and I had the SWS issue with my stock Michelin tires.
I am currently running Nokian WRG3 SUV Tires for about 2 seasons now and I no longer have the SWS issue, Went to 3 different VW Dealers to find a service rep. that cared enough to follow the TSB and Torque it down to 133ft. lbs.

BTW I use 38 PSI on all 4's . Touareg's are very finicky I find that if 1 tire is off by a couple lbs. you'll feel notice a difference.

Good Luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts