Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frustrated, but hopeful?

After the last 50k miles of the occasional burning oilly substance smoke wafting out under the hood (once or twice fogging the cabin too) - and NEVER finding a drop of oil on the ground... Despite adding dye to the engine oil and looking for weeks with a UV-Light, there was narry a drop or sparkle found. I had no oil leaks/drips.

However, I think I am closer to a diagnosis. I would like those knowledgeable players here to opine...

For our latest trip to Colorado (from TX) - I had the dealer perform the 120k service. I had noticed previous to that service, the steering on cold start would sometimes feel jittery, which normally is an indication of low fluid.

Right after the 120k service, I mounted up the heavier BFG T/A K02's and I noticed the jittery steering cold-start feel was gone. Makes sense - probably topped up the PS-fluid at service.

During our drive to and from Colorado the burning-white-smoke problem was far more evident than ever before. Always associated to low-speeds, steering intensive actions as compared to straight-line running. My brain now says this must be PS related.

I am guessing I have a loose PS-pump fitting or seal that as there is more demand on the pump from the heavier tires, there is more leakage/spray that is vaporize around that hot area. Always on the passenger side.

I found a diagram for the R5-TDI that shows the PS-Pump, and the the A/C compressor that is driven by the PS-Pump. I would love to find same for the V10 if anyone can point me to same.

Do any of you think my theory holds water?
Is the ONLY way to get at this on a V10 to drop le'moteur?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Sounds plausible to me. Could be a pinhole leak in a fitting or hose. If the dealer serviced your power steering, it should appear on the work order. I'm sure they would have charged you for the fluid and labour.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The power steering pump is next to the oil pan below the exhaust. It is unlikely that a power steering fluid leak would get completely burnt off by the exhaust and not reach the ground. It sounds more likely that you have the classic tandem pump leak.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! What are the other symptoms of the classic Tandem Pump leak? I have never experienced any hard starting or other engine oddities that I know of. What new neurosis should I be listening for? :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Either oil or fuel running down the back of the motor.

-J

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thank you both! What are the other symptoms of the classic Tandem Pump leak? I have never experienced any hard starting or other engine oddities that I know of. What new neurosis should I be listening for? :)
Rob.

You can get oil and sometimes fuel leaking from the tandem pump located on the back of the RH cylinder head. It typically finds its way onto the exhaust close to the turbo. During regen that area of the exhaust get's very hot and the oil fries off much like a fajita skillet. I have that exact leak and if you happen to park the car during a regen it will visibly smoke from the cowl area on the RH side and sometimes it will come into the cabin via the air vents. Mine is only really noticeable during regen cycles.

I have had the issue for about a year and it's much worse in the colder weather than in the summer months. Not sure why. I just bought a tandem pump and need to find a weekend to do the R and R which includes pulling the intake manifolds, EGR cooler etc.....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mike. In my case the smoke from hood, or inside cabin has never intersected (as far as I know) with the Regen event that I have been able to notice or correlate.

Leads me to think I have either a) missed that observation or b) truly not tied to it.

In your case have you never had the right side white-burning-smoke and distinct burning wax smell at times OTHER than during the Regen cycle?

Given my oil level always holds true, but the PS-level is dropping I am instinctually pre-dispositioned to assume it is PS-circuit side stuff. Which is probably the strongest indicator that it won't be THAT problem. HA!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Rob my power steering fluid needs topping off about once a year as does my coolant and I have no idea where either is going. I did fix a couple of very small coolant leaks that never got large enough to drip so I suspect that there are a couple more that I never found.

It took me a while to figure out that the smoke and regen cycles were coincident. Most times I can now tell when a regen is happening. There is a very subtle kind of a surge rather than the usual silky smooth power. Some people think the regen is a puff of smoke out the back and it's done that's not true the cycle can take 10 minutes or more. On mine with over 100,000 miles it seems that I get 3 or 4 regen cycles and then it doesn't do it for another 250 to 300 miles or so.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Popped it on the lift at the Tire Shop and low and behold - there is leak evidence now!

Black engine oil dripping on right rear side of engine. Pass side 1st cat looks partially like a well seasoned cast iron skillet! Lots of oil all around and fairly dry looking forward toward the PS pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Popped it on the lift at the Tire Shop and low and behold - there is leak evidence now!

Black engine oil dripping on right rear side of engine. Pass side 1st cat looks partially like a well seasoned cast iron skillet! Lots of oil all around and fairly dry looking forward toward the PS pump.

Yep classic tandem pump leak

regards
drag

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Drag! OK time for me to read up on Tandem pump replacement. Anyone got any awesome process documented? Or do I need to bring up my Bentley manual and print a bunch of pages?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts