Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had to replace their remote key yet? My husband went surfing with my key in his pocket and we took it apart and dried it out and when we went to use it later the car told us that the remote battery was dead so I figured(and hoped) we could just replace the battery but at my 5,000 mile service I was told it would need to be re-placed.They said it would be $188.00 for the remote and $88.00 for installation. Yikes! Anyone else have to replace a remote? If so what were your costs? Should I stick with one remote for a bit?
Kristy

· Registered
866 Posts
Maui Reg said:
Anyone had to replace their remote key yet? My husband went surfing with my key in his pocket and we took it apart and dried it out and when we went to use it later the car told us that the remote battery was dead so I figured(and hoped) we could just replace the battery but at my 5,000 mile service I was told it would need to be re-placed.They said it would be $188.00 for the remote and $88.00 for installation. Yikes! Anyone else have to replace a remote? If so what were your costs? Should I stick with one remote for a bit?
Kristy
I'll give you one of mine. You just need to pay for my personal delivery, and a week or so on the beach there! :wave:

· Registered
136 Posts
I was looking for a second remote and was quoted $250 parts and labor. Yikes! I also wanted a regular key and was told that there is just the remote and the plastic key.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Dry it out for a few days

Take the electronic key apart and let it sit near an air conditioner vent for 3-4 days. The AC will dry out the deeply embedded transistors on the circuit board. Then add new batteries and try the remote again.

I had one of my DV cameras sunk 15 ft underwater and it stopped working. I used a hairdryer on low to dry it off and then left it by the AC vent for a week. Magically the camera worked again and has been running fine ever since.

Give it a shot. It can't hurt. Good luck. -Jake

By the way. I have swum with my electronic Jeep key several times and it continues to work fine. I wonder why the VW's is so delicate.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remote

Thanks for all the input! 4x4 thanks for the offer but I think It would be cheaper to buy a new key. Ha Ha! But if your ever in Maui look me up. We can go surfing. Well, I got my car back yesterday from its 3 day 5,000 mile service and they did all the recalls and what nots and all is well. Going from reverse to drive is much much smoother now. They also covered the oil change as it took them a few days to finish everything and I got a rental. Not a Touareg as we have so few here. None on the lot right now. Just wanted to say thanks for the replys and have a great day!
Kristy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.