Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just joined the club :) I owned a 2010 V6 Touareg, and that was an awesome vehicle. Then I traded it in for a 2013 V6, and was immediately disappointed with the silly spare wheel arrangement. The spare wheel well is too small for a full size wheel. Didn't see that when I bought it. Here in South Africa we do a bit of serious off-road, so a proper spare is a "must" At the moment, VW are going through a rough ride regarding the emissions scandal, and adding to their woes is the fact that they also cheated with fuel consumption figures. I use 30% more fuel than what the book says! ( I get good results on other cars I drive ) My final gripe is the ignition key.....it does not always release when I switch off. Sometimes takes up to a minute of fiddling before I get it free. Dealer can't fix this. Otherwise, it's a great and capable car. Anybody seen a good spare wheel bracket design?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
that is if you are tall ....

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
This was my solution

It clamps so hard I can't move it with brute strength to the point I back off for fear of breaking the roof carrier.

It sits like the proverbial dog business to a woolly blanket.

I like it. Easy, simple, and strong.

I will use a safety tether until I have tested in all conditions.

I am also from South Africa.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Hi, Just joined the club :) I owned a 2010 V6 Touareg, and that was an awesome vehicle. Then I traded it in for a 2013 V6, and was immediately disappointed with the silly spare wheel arrangement. The spare wheel well is too small for a full size wheel. Didn't see that when I bought it. Here in South Africa we do a bit of serious off-road, so a proper spare is a "must" At the moment, VW are going through a rough ride regarding the emissions scandal, and adding to their woes is the fact that they also cheated with fuel consumption figures. I use 30% more fuel than what the book says! ( I get good results on other cars I drive ) My final gripe is the ignition key.....it does not always release when I switch off. Sometimes takes up to a minute of fiddling before I get it free. Dealer can't fix this. Otherwise, it's a great and capable car. Anybody seen a good spare wheel bracket design?

I didn't think there was anyone left on the planet who believes what any car maker claims on fuel consumption regardless of whether the company has possibly been tweaking the numbers or not as real world driving bears no comparison to laboratory results!!:D

As for the spare, you would have had the spacesaver in the 2010 too unless you had opted for the spare wheel carrier on the back?

Others have complained about the key release. From what I read they seem to find that this happens when they are too quick on the draw and slowing down by slightly delaying the key pull after turning the engine off works better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love/Hate

Thx Nooby, Agree about the makers fuel consumption claims, but 30% above is not acceptable. My 2010 Treg had a spare mounted on a bracket, and room for another in the spare well. I just think VW goofed on the new model, and if we gripe enough they will rectify on the next generation. Will try your advise regarding key extraction,:idea:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
HA .... Bob a couple of blokes (and Mel and who ever else i have not managed to catch who is not male) on a forum having a whinge about what VW makes or does

Sorry mate you are going to need more than at least 40% of the market who do and want to be owners of a VW to force a marginal reaction.

Beyond that become a substancial shareholder where you can drive DIRECTLY the way that VW should act and continue to grow and then maybe you MIGHT get somewhere as you would be a shareholder which should be their end concern

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
forgot about this .... do like this a lot 4E .... but i am not tall

This was my solution

It clamps so hard I can't move it with brute strength to the point I back off for fear of breaking the roof carrier.

It sits like the proverbial dog business to a woolly blanket.

I like it. Easy, simple, and strong.

I will use a safety tether until I have tested in all conditions.

I am also from South Africa.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I really don't they won't fix it.

There simply aren't enough people demanding full sized spare wheels.

In fact there weren't/aren't enough people demanding hi/lo boxes [and even fewer people actually using them!] which is why the T3 onwards became emasculated with, for example, the US market not even getting the REAL Touareg - the Escape model as we know it in the UK.

If anything, I think we could well see even the spacesaver disappear yet again - yes, some markets [and the hybrid] only got/may still only get for all I know - a can of gunk and the air pump!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I really don't they won't fix it.

There simply aren't enough people demanding full sized spare wheels.

In fact there weren't/aren't enough people demanding hi/lo boxes [and even fewer people actually using them!] which is why the T3 onwards became emasculated with, for example, the US market not even getting the REAL Touareg - the Escape model as we know it in the UK.

If anything, I think we could well see even the spacesaver disappear yet again - yes, some markets [and the hybrid] only got/may still only get for all I know - a can of gunk and the air pump!

I agree, never mind that many are going with runflat tires and getting rid of even space saver tires to save weight and space. I could see VW going that way too.

Plus, with the way that tires are built/constructed, and with TPMS, there just aren't many flats anymore.

I got one but I had run over a chunk of steel-a freak piece laying on the highway one afternoon.

·
Registered
219 Posts
A spare seems a bit silly reason for "hating" your Treg. The mileage thing seems pretty off, have you had the car checked out? 30% off is significant and never had a car that far out of the range. Perhaps your driving habits? Also I would hardly call the newer Tregs emasculated. I've owned 4 if you count the Cayennes I've owned and most of that offraod locking difs ect stuff never got used, not even once. I would like to have the option of air suspension but the steel is still really excellent ride handling and ground clearance. I'm on the side of a better road car/all weather vehicle. I'm not using it for off road use and most buyers aren't either.

·
Registered
734 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts