Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well heres the story...I bought my 04 v8 touareg from my neighbor a few weeks ago knowing that it had issues. It wont start. I spent hours doing my research reading the forums on here before buying it and everything was pointing towards the battery being weak or the kessy module having bad resisitors and or the mosfet transistors. They had taken it to a few local shops dragging it on and off of a rollback each time since it wont start and stuck in park and eventually they got a quote from the dealer to replace the steering column and all of the related modules. From what I read on here, but correct me if im wrong, repairing the electronic components on the circuit board in the kessy module will accomplish the same thing for a very small fraction of the $3000 estimate that the dealer gave them. So first i checked the battery and apparently the first time the previous owners had it in the shop it had been replaced already so i just gave it a good charge and it actually did start up. I let it run for an hour or so and drove it around some since it had been sitting for a several months but the next day it was right back to the initial problem....it wont start, wont even crank over. The only thing I get is "Move the Steering Wheel" message on the the information display in the dash. So next i ordered the resistors and mosfets that some other members have had success with replacing in the kessy module but it didn't change anything. So now here I am. Anybody have any suggestions for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
~Dave~

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
Wow...sounds like you bought yourself quite the project.

If it were me, I would get ahold of a Vag-Com, get the battery charged up and run a scan, see what codes there are, clear them (since there will be a ton of codes simply because the battery was dead), start the car, drive it around a bit, then rerun the scan and see what codes you have at that time. It might point you in the general direction.

Also does it have a NAV system. There was an issue with the early, CD based NAV's draining the battery and also the digital amp's draining the battery.

If it has the Nav, there is a firmware update for that to solve that issue. I have the .iso file for that and if you PM me your email, I can send it to you with install insturctions.

As far as the amp, maybe try finding the fuse for it and pulling it and seeing if your drain is still there.

There was also a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) wherein the alternator cable to the battery was bad. It resulted in the battery not being charged when the truck was running. That was a recall on most early models I think. Since it was a recall, you should be able to call a dealer and see if that was done, as recall's are stored in a nationwide database.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does nav but I think the battery was dead just because the car had been sitting for so long without being driven or anything. I haven't been able to get it to start at all since that first time a few weeks ago. I have tried unhooking the battery several times and pulling fuses but nothing has worked. Will Vag-com even work if its not powering up completely....it seems like just the accessories are working but nothing else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had a problem starting when battery died. I found the battery could not be charged in the car and had absoluty no power, the easy answer in my case was to Jump start using another vehicle. Hope that may help you.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sounds like the dead battery has caused everything to shut down. Get a new battery and batteries in your key fobs. If the KESSY module has forgotten its programming, there's nothing you can do, it has to go to the dealer to be reprogrammed. KESSY modules are VIN specific, so make sure you have the right one (dealer may be able to tell you which one is right). My experience of multiple KESSY modules, steering columns, ignition switches, etc is that the correct KESSY module is key. All of my repairs could have been avoided if anyone at the dealer or VW had bothered to check that I had the right one.

I have been told by several people you cannot switch out modules on the steering column, you must replace the whole thing.

The electronics can be a nightmare, but once they're fixed, the vehicle is fantastic.

Good luck, keep us posted!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The key fob battery was was replaced in June and the main battery was replaced in beginning of October. So far I have had 3 alarm calls since main battery replaced, the alarm sounds for about 15-20 min and then everything is dead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I initially tried a new battery even though the one that was in the vehicle checked good. The battery in the key fob seems fine. It will lock and unlock everything just as it should. When I open the door and get in the vehicle the touareg greeting shows up on the mfi but as I try to start it the messege "Move the Steering Wheel" randomly shows up on the mfi but the gauges dont come on and it doesnt crank at all. I also hear a ticking sound from somewhere in the dash above the pedals. What would be causing that? I think whatever is triggering that messege to come up is preventing it from starting. I dont understand why the kessy would need to be reprogrammed since it is the original one? They previous owners had it at the dealer when it went "brain dead" and the dealer gave them the typical $3000 estimate to replace the steering column and all related components. From what I've read here on the forums it seems like that never ends up fixing anything. Should I look into getting vag-com? Can reprogramming and stuff be done with that or do you have to take it to the dealer for those kind of issues? Sorry for so many questions but I like to understand things.

·
Registered
272 Posts
turbopwr68 said:
I initially tried a new battery even though the one that was in the vehicle checked good. The battery in the key fob seems fine. It will lock and unlock everything just as it should. When I open the door and get in the vehicle the touareg greeting shows up on the mfi but as I try to start it the messege "Move the Steering Wheel" randomly shows up on the mfi but the gauges dont come on and it doesnt crank at all. I also hear a ticking sound from somewhere in the dash above the pedals. What would be causing that? I think whatever is triggering that messege to come up is preventing it from starting. I dont understand why the kessy would need to be reprogrammed since it is the original one? They previous owners had it at the dealer when it went "brain dead" and the dealer gave them the typical $3000 estimate to replace the steering column and all related components. From what I've read here on the forums it seems like that never ends up fixing anything. Should I look into getting vag-com? Can reprogramming and stuff be done with that or do you have to take it to the dealer for those kind of issues? Sorry for so many questions but I like to understand things.
My experience was the key fob would sometimes unlock the door by pushing the unlock button. I would get in, put the key in the ignition and nothing. The Touareg home screen shows up and he radio worked but that's it. Sometimes the alarm would go off, but only a few times. Key then stuck in ignition. Move key left and right a million times and the Touareg would either wake up and start or it would remain dead and I would have to use a paper clip to get the key out of the ignition. Wait 20 minutes and all was usually fine. I never had the "move steering wheel" message, nor did I ever have the alarm go off by itself.

Te clicking you hear is the steering column unlocking. It sort of sounds like "zip" and then all the lights come on. The small clicks are the instrument cluster waking up.

Do you have two keys? Try to re-sequence the keys to the vehicle. I believe the procedure is on the manual.

Try to find or buy a VAG-COM. Pull the codes and post them here or take them to your dealer.

Many modules stop talking to each other but have not failed. This can happen if the previous battery had been dead for a long time, or I the vehicle senses such a large voltage drop it decides to shut off non-essentials. If your car loses programming, you will need to visit a dealer. They have to hook up your car and get the programming from Germany.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2006 touareg instrument cluster lights delayed at night

Help, Help , At night when I turn the lights on (fully to right) the instrument cluster doesn't light up for sometime, minutes not seconds. Is this caused by a bad light sensor? or a defect in a delay? or a adjustment problem. Very dangerous as it is impossible to see speedometer until lights come on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.