Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I haven't been active here for a few years now though I still have my T1 Touareg. It is my daily driver but I don't drive a lot (20-25 miles per day) so she only has 140k miles on it. Over the last two years I have had some issues with the suv that were not too complicated for my local workshop to fix. Recently however, one of the headlights went out. Combine this with the fact that I have been getting error messages in the dashboard relating to headlights.... so I decided to go to a workshop that has experience with German cars especially VWs and Audis.

I was getting two separate error messages. 1) Whenever I turned the ignition on, the error "Check Headlight Range Control" would pop up, and 2) Whenever I turned the headlights on, the error "Please check lights" would pop up, and one of the orange lights (turn signal light) would be off for a minute or two before turning on.
I told this workshop all about that. They did a hasty job, replaced the #headlight and ballast but didn't address the error messages. So I complained and they checked again and told me things that were quite informative.

The T1 Touareg's headlight assembly contains many things. It contains the Xenon headlight bulb, an HID light bulb, the orange signal light bulb, a headlight range control motor, and if I understand correctly, also a #ballast that is needed for the #xenon headlight.

If the headlight range control motor goes bad, the dash shows an error. However, this error can also happen if the level sensors located around the front suspension aren't working properly. In my Touareg's case, it is the motor in the headlight assembly that has gone bad. In the past VW used to sell the motor by itself but they no longer do. Now if this motor goes bad, you have to buy the entire headlight assembly. The idiots at this workshop had already changed the xenon light and the ballast, so I was hesitant to ask them to do something else which means that I still get the #HeadlightRangeControl error.

The way things are designed in the T1 Touareg, the headlight assembly is installed by sliding it into proper position. If it isn't installed properly, a connection here or there can be loose and the dash displays the "Please Check Lights" error. In my Touareg's case, there was corrosion buildup around some connectors and it was keeping the orange light from having a tight connection with the electrical system. The guys at the workshop cleaned off the corrosion and put everything back, and I no longer get the "Please Check Lights" error.

If I had known all this before, I would have opted to replace the entire #HeadlightAssembly even though it would have cost 200-300 dollars more. Why? Well, my Touareg is 17 years old. When the headlight died, I had a bad headlight, a bad ballast, a bad range control motor, there is plastic peeling off, and there is dirt/humidity inside making the headlight dull. If I got a new light assembly, all the components would be new including the motor, and I would have no longer had to deal with the annoying range control error.

Whenever the other headlight goes out, I'm getting the entire headlight assembly! #PleaseCheckLights

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
There are two known issues with the T1 headlights.

The insulation gets brittle with the heat and falls off the wiring which can lead to shorts, and the "chroming" falls off the headlight reflector bowl which reduces the light output.

The halogen headlights on the T1 were never up to much so new units fitted with Philips Ultinon Generation 2 LED "bulbs" is a good upgrade and better than the previous alternative of upgrading to the zenon headlight units which also required the addition of a short wiring loom to adapt the existing feed to fit the connector on the back of the new headlight units.

If you already have the zenons then once again, as suggested in the first post, new headlight units are the way to go but fitted with the latest upgraded Philips x-treme vision gen 2 bulbs to get the best light output.

None of the Philips bulbs are cheap, but they are very good!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.