Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
1,690 Posts
Negative... this a placebo effect
"offroad" mode only changes the intervention strategy of the ABS and some of the other electronic nannies... it will not change the way the self locking OBU works.

SSP said:
The self-locking centre differential cannot be compared with a mechanical 100% differential lock. If an
axle or a wheel spins without power, there is no drive. Outside the locking range of the transfer box 0BU,
the EDL control system provides support. If a wheel loses static friction, the power is distributed evenly to
all wheels by braking that particular wheel.
If the propshaft is removed, there is no drive.
You also can't flip a rotary dial... just sayin.... :p

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Negative... this a placebo effect
"offroad" mode only changes the intervention strategy of the ABS and some of the other electronic nannies... it will not change the way the self locking OBU works.

You also can't flip a rotary dial... just sayin.... :p

You already answered your own confusion

·
Registered
2004 V8
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The rear locker will modulate traction even in HI auto settings. I didn't know about it until I tested it.
Unlike T2 and T3, EDL works with ABS+ to proactively provide traction.
I saw Otis (13 Cayenne diesel) going through the same obstacle, and it exhibited a bit more wheel speed before it gained traction.
T2 and T3 are more light off-road vehicles, much like the mainstream of modern SUVs currently available on the market.

·
Registered
2004 V8
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
  • Is that a stock steel spring suspension? Anything done to it?
  • What size tire are you running?
  • Where did you get your skid plate?

That is much tamer material than I've had mine through, these things are beasts.
Stock steel suspension.
Front PRG 2" lift adapters were used to level the front end after strut replacement (long story). 31-inch tires on OE 19" wheel.
Skidplates are home-brewed.

Cheers...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts