Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after debating doing this project myself or going to a local shop in Atlanta. I decided to go for it and tackle it myself. I started taking the front of the Treg apart tonight and didn't start until I saw motor! Don't even have a manual yet. My bentley cd should be here tomorrow or next. Here's a pic of how I left her tonight.

Got a question. There are these bellows? Look like vacuum actuated with plastic rods which should be attached to levers on the intake manifold. I tried to do some research but didn't find much. What are these? Mine are broken as you can see in the pic.

I'll keep taking pictures and posting my progress as long as people are interested. I'll try to document what I can with pictures or if I find things that aren't in the manual.

Thanks!

Lee

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Wow! Outstanding man. That'll make a great addition to the DIY section. Your going to be a legend on the forum when your done. The way you've got it gives you all the room you need to work the timing belt replacement.

Oh...those broken links control a variable induction within the manifold. Get those hooked back up and your V8 will come to life.

Congrats on the adventure.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, found another post on here that addresses the problem of the broken plastic rods for the intake manifold valves.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/anyone-else-have-the-same-problem-19608.html

I think I plan on fabricating something myself. Nothing fancy with cnc machines . Just some bolts, rods, couple bushings. I'll post a write up about it. Should be pretty cheap and last the life of the engine.

Going to the beach for a few days. My parts will be here Tuesday when I get back.

Moderator, Should this thread be moved to DIY section? If not I'll start a new one there with my write ups.

Lee

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matt we posted at almost the same time!! haha

I didn't take any pictures until I got the whole front off, but I'm going to start now and take as many good pictures as I can and do a write up with all the little things that the bentley manual may not address.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What happened to this thread? Any updates? I was hoping someone else would blaze the trail on the TB, as I need to do this soon.

Regards,
Brent

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
For some funny reason I keep coming back to this post to stare at the pictures. Amazing to see the front opened up like that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brent,

Yep, still on track to work on this and take pictures and post along the way. I got my Bentley manual yesterday and parts will be here tomorrow.

TVaitonis, I agree..I keep looking at them too! It's pretty cool to see that nice V8 instead of a bunch of plastic crap covering it up.

Updates to follow so stay tuned!!

Lee

·
Registered
275 Posts
LTrain, if you need a pic of the front of the V8 with the OEM plastic push rods to the intake manifold flaps still intact let me know I will be glad shoot a picture and post it. I checked my 2006 V8 the other day and my plastic rods are still there (for now).

·
Registered
181 Posts
WOW! I'm impressed at your bravery for attempting this task! I'm eagerly awaiting the writeup! I own 2 V8 Touaregs, so this will be VERY needed. Each has about 55k on them, so I have lots of miles left till this is required, but still. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey everyone, I finished yesterday and the treg is back on the road better than ever. I didn't take as many pics as I would have liked and I didn't change the cam and crank seals, but I should be able to do a pretty good write up. A bentley manual and tools are necessary of course. I'll write up as much as possible though. Got a couple little tricks I'll share.

Evolvingpowercat, I actually found another post dealing with the pushrods for the intake. Thanks for the offer though. I actually have a good idea how to fix it with parts that cost about $20. All metal fasteners that will last forever. Write up to come!

Update sometime tomorrow!

Lee

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Congratulations Lee!

Your entitled to wear the Superman cape this week!:p

I think your right on to replace the plastic links with a metal swivel eye arrangement. I meant to mention a couple days ago that if there's another V8 owner out there with un-broken links they can give you the center to center length so you can translate that to the hardware you build.

Again.....nice work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats Lee. Sounds like quite a few people are really looking forward to this write up. Thanks in advance. Bow Down You are the Man.
Did you get your Bentley DVD repair manual directly from Bentley Publishers ($130.00)? I've been kind of flying without it, but it appears now I'll go ahead and order it.
What was the condition of your old TB when you got it off?
Ok, I'll quit asking questions and wait for the write up.

Regards,
Brent

1 - 20 of 30 Posts