Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can feel almost every bump or drop on the road surface when driving at low speed. It's so bad, not only it starts to get my kid motion sickness, I myself sometimes feel sick as the driver.
I used to drive a 12 TDI and it was not like this.
Is there anyway to inspect or adjust the shock absorb?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You can't adjust the suspension.

What size wheels and tires are fitted, what make and model, and what tire pressures are you using?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Seems like higher than the door sticker's suggestion.

You can visually inspect if the rear shocks are leaking oil

If everything is fine, try carrying some weight in the cargo area, 100lbs on top of each rear suspension, it may help.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Leaky or blown shocks would soften the bumps.......
Is it "bumpy" or "floaty".......
If you're driving in very cold temps, the shock oil can thicken up and result in a shopping cart type of ride......

My instincts would be worn\blown suspension bushings (you should be able to see uneven wear on tires, and it may even pull or wonder to the sides), or more than likely, crappy tires, or even more than likely, run flats...... although with the size you listed above, I'd be shocked if they were run flats.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Lowering your tire pressures will also smooth things out.....I'm not familiar with the sport\tech trims you mentioned, but if it's got "sport" suspension or "lowering" from factory, you're probably on stiffer springs too.....

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
And the make and model of tire?

Regardless, what does the door placard say the pressures are for a lightly loaded car? I suspect it's not 40 psi.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Leaky or blown shocks would soften the bumps.......
Is it "bumpy" or "floaty".......
If you're driving in very cold temps, the shock oil can thicken up and result in a shopping cart type of ride......

My instincts would be worn\blown suspension bushings (you should be able to see uneven wear on tires, and it may even pull or wonder to the sides), or more than likely, crappy tires, or even more than likely, run flats...... although with the size you listed above, I'd be shocked if they were run flats.
leaked shocks has no oil to buffer the bouncy steel coil springs... once it starts bouncing, it won't stop.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
leaked shocks has no oil to buffer the bouncy steel coil springs... once it starts bouncing, it won't stop.
Read again..... the OP is saying that he has a "jittery" ride..... almost like a SOLID suspension.
I stand by my comments.... shocks only "smooth out - aka dampen" movement, they don't make it RIGID (which is what I'm interpreting that the OP is saying his ride feels like)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Make sure you only check/change/set the tire pressures when the tires and wheels are cold.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My 2016 Lux doesn't drive anything like you are describing. I also had an 2012 Lux ,and the 2 cars were basically driving the same. I would suggest the front tires should be at 33 PSI. Rears are set so when you tow or carry a load the car balances out. Unless there were unusual stresses that broke something I have no clue. You have had a 2012,so you know what they should ride like. Let us know if you find out what the issue turned out to be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts