Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm upgrading my sound system!

I am very disappointed with the base sound system. I am coming out of a 2011 Infiniti EX35 with a Bose sound system. I was very pleased with the Infiniti Bose system and never even thought to check the Toureg's sound system before I purchased it. I am just getting started on an audio upgrade. I will be adding a digital sound processor, an amplifier and a sub-woofer.

My purchases thus far:
  • Audison Bit Ten D
  • Pioneer TSD-SWX251 Down-firing 10" Subwoofer with enclosure
  • Jensen POWER15005 / POWER1500.5D / POWER1500.5D 5 Channel Class D Amplifier
  • Fierce Car Audio PREMIUM SPEAKER WIRE 12 GAUGE 20 FT
  • Metra 70-9003 Radio Wiring Harness for Audi/BMW/VW 2002-Up
  • Metra 71-9003 Reverse Wiring Harness for Select 2002-up BMW 5 Series, Audi, and Volkswagen Vehicles OEM Radio
  • Scosche Revopak4 4-Gauge Revo Series Single Amp Power and Audio Kit-Silver/Black
  • 2 of Scosche reVo6 Revo 6-Feet 2-Channel Audio Cable Twisted Pair with Molded Ends (Clear/Black)
  • Dynamat 13100 1-1/2" Wide and 30' Long DynaTape Sound Deadener
  • 2 of Dynamat 10435 12" x 36" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Door Kit

All totaled about $1000 thus far...

I hope to start the installation in the coming weekend.

Rich

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
902 Posts
Make sure to take pictures along the way

And tell what works well, what doesn't..

I also agree, the base sound system is sub-par, although I would have bought the TDI anyway.

My 2003 4runner Limited had the JBL synthesis 10 speaker system and it was great. Never needed anything else.

I think the Touareg lacking a really good center speaker is a shame.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will take pictures for sure...

I'll take pictures and provide commentary on the build along the way.

It will take some time to complete because I don't have a lot of free time and it's still rather cold in Jersey and I do not have room in the garage to work on it there.

With the center grill, it appeared that there was a center speaker, but there is none.

LOL... sorry if I offended anyone with my misspelling of Touareg!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I also come out of an Infiniti with the Bose system (G37 Conv.) and also didn't check the sound of the Touareg. I would have gone with the Exec for sure if I would have known...

Your setup seems very nice. If you could share any experiences getting this done, that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Personally I enjoy the crisp clear sound of the DynAudio system in my 2012 Exec TDI - I've never listened to the sound system in a lower trim level Touareg....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello all...
I am sorry for the delay, but I've not gotten started yet!
I don't have a covered space and with the extended winter in the Northeast, it's just been too cold to get started! I am hopeful that it gets started this weekend!
Rich

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jmdumalski...
You were definitely smarter than the rest of us. Thanks for sharing.
Rich

Personally I enjoy the crisp clear sound of the DynAudio system in my 2012 Exec TDI - I've never listened to the sound system in a lower trim level Touareg....
2013 Mazda CX-5 (Wife's DD)
----------------------
2004 Touareg V8 (SOLD)
2002 Golf TDI (SOLD)
2002 Beetle TDI (SOLD)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have to thank you...this and a few other threads led me to compare the two systems when I was out shopping and the base system in the Lux is really unfortunate. There was a lot of hiss and distortion at the louder volumes. I ended up with the Exec for multiple reasons including the sound. I hope that you are able to get some great audio out of your upgrade. Keep us posted! Thanks.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Dynaudio claim it takes 2 months of regular use for their system to "burn in".

Someone on the UK site, clearly still disappointed as many are with the more expensive system, says he's been waiting over 2 years for that to happen . . . !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Guys. For the 2012 LUX VR6, I just want to confirm, is there a Head Unit amp (and connections for the 71-9003) and speakers(connections for the 70-9003) in the BACK RIGHT of the car behind the panel?

Or is this only in the exec?? If there is not a connection in the back right, I imagine, for a clean install, the installer will have to pull off the head unit and add the 71-9003 and run the wires to the amp, and then run the wires back into a 70-9003, which connects back to the speakers.

Here is the install instructions I would like to give him, but only if the connections are in the back of the car.

1) remove the back right panel in the trunk to access the head unit amp / speaker connectors
2) disconnect speakers from head unit amp
3) hook in a 71-9003 wiring harness to the head unit amp
4) run the wires from the harness to the ARC ks 125.4 (has speaker level inputs / output converter and auto on)
4) run the amp outputs into a 70-9003 (which connects back to the speakers)

Also realize I need to run power from the battery back to the amp - I understand battery is under the front driver seat and there is a channel from the drivers seat, under the back seats to the trunk.

Please advise if I have this right.

Thanks!

Some threads I have seen:
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f45/good-2011-sport-lx-audio-upgrade-for-cheap-70056.html (looks like he ran the speaker cables from the front for the amp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Day One Progress

Hello all...

I got started this past weekend!

I'll try to put together a logical, categorized step-by-step view of the installation process. So starting with power...

Power:
I got the seat out okay! I got the triple square bits from a local auto parts store and used a socket and ratchet to unbolt the seat rails. The seat was slid back into the reat seat footwell and tilted back to expose the battery area. I cut the carpet area and folded it back to expose the entire area. attaching the four gauge power cable was easy after I used tin snips to reduce the eyes size with was preinstalled on the power cable. Using a nut, split ring washer and flat washer, I secured the cable. I also used Locktite to further ensure a forever tight connection.

The power cable exited the area to the side and was run to the back of the vehicle under the moulding along the base. These tools I got from Amazon made this easy and will likely make it easy for any additional panel remover.

Where to mount the DSP and the amplifier:
I looked at all the available spaces and decided that the empty space inside and under the spare tire is the best place to install the Audison Bit Ten D and the Jensen Amplifier. Before I do the install, I covered a lot of the bare metal space with Dynamat.

It got dark at this point and colder, so this was the end of the day-one work.

More to come... :)

Rich :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Diesel_Don...
I don't understand your question, it IS under the seat...

Power:
I got the seat out okay! I got the triple square bits from a local auto parts store and used a socket and ratchet to unbolt the seat rails. The seat was slid back into the reat seat footwell and tilted back to expose the battery area. I cut the carpet area and folded it back to expose the entire area.

This was in my post on how I got to the battery area. The second picture shows the underseat area.

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
902 Posts
I thought the battery was under the seat. Where is that?
Under the seat means "under the carpet UNDER the drivers seat". The driver seat needs to be moved out of the way, and the carpet then needs to be cut in strategic spots to expose the battery.

I think the battery and cabling is installed before the carpeting at the factory (must be).

In order to replace the battery, or do additional power work like sound systems and such, the carpet needs to be cut to expose the battery and the connectors on the bus bar.

I have the picture of the strategic areas to cut on ELSAWin, so someday when my battery needs replacing, I won't be guessing where to cut the carpet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
May Update

Sorry this has taken waaaayyyy longer than I expected...

All is installed and working very well! Most importantly it all sounds GREAT!
I completed the entire install without cutting anything OEM and I also did not cut any of the cables I purchased even though many were too long. In the event I did soemthing wrong along the way or I wanted to take out the equipment, I wanted to be able to reune everything for whatever purpose.

Here are some of the next steps with pictures...

Power was run to the rear from the battery:

The amplifier was mounted to the base of the spare tire well using industrial-strength velcro strips.

The Audison Bit Ten D DSP was mounted on the OEM amplifier using the same industrial strength velcro, but I added zip ties around the two units just in case the velcro or the adhesive failed. I doubt it will but it was a "better-safe-than-sorry" measure.

So, if there are questions on the install... please let me know!

I'm still working with the sound through the Audison software, but even before the tweaking, it sounds 1,000% better... In fact, I am quite surprised at how good the OEM speakers sound as compared to the stock system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BIG QUESTION !!! FM Radio is out...

Somehow... I've lost my FM signal...

I get no HD anymore and most FM stations do not come in well!

What could I have done to screw that up?

The antenna into leads into the OEM amplifier are intact...
What could have gone wrong?

Thanks, in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going to call this one a false-alarm!

I get Satellite radio just fine, AM fine as well, including AM HD and FM just seems weak while in my driveway... I do get some stations in HD so if they all work for some stations, there must not be anything wrong with the radio or antennae.

Got a long drive coming up, so I'll test it again then.

Going to reassemble everything and get all the panels back in place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2013 Touareg with new sound system - All back together

Here is a view of things all back together...

I drilled and filed a notch in the panel and ran the USB cord through a rubber grommet.

Over time, I'll fine tune the sound... The Audison Bit Ten D software is easy to understand and the instructions and help files are outstanding.

:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts