Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Decided to post some details on my 06 V10 getting over 250,000 miles. Will list some issues that I had to deal with, hope will be useful for members.
The car got 3rd set of front suspension arms, links and 2nd set for rear. Got oil changed in differentials and transfer case.
At 230,000 miles my right turbo quit working, got the engine removed, replaced both turbos, right side tandem and left side pumps, that were leaking. Turned out that the right turbo mechanically was still sound, but the oil leaking from tandem pump fried the electronics of it. The cost was $8k - $2k for each turbo, $2k for engine removal/insatll, $1 k for 2 pumps, $0.5k for intake removal and cleaning, another $0.5k for some other parts.
At 240,000 miles the transmission started acting weirdly shifting from 2nd to 3rd. My mistake to believe that the transmission fluid lasts lifetime, up to 120k miles, after that no mechanic wanted to change fluid, so it it lasted to 240k miles, which I figure was it's lifetime:). New transmission cost was $7.2k from dealer plus installation. Went to good transmission shop in Colorado Springs - Transmission Clinic (Tom), got it rebuilt in 2 weeks with replacement of front and rear drive shafts (used rebuilt units) total for $7.3k.
At same time, in cold weather, started getting glow plug fault codes and batteries started dying. Batteries were 1 year old, replaced it with new set of Interstate batteries. These started dying after couple of weeks, with same fault codes (all 10 glow plugs are faulty), with cold weather. After seeing several mechanics and doing research, appeared that new Alternator was needed. Got it replaced, cost was very close to $3k.
Now the car behaves pretty well, hope it lasts as long as possible.
Within last 2 months have drove it through Alpine loop - Engineer and Cinnamon passes, Imogene pass from Ourey to Telluride, Ophyr pass, it was pretty much the only outsider from Jeep community:)
I will be keeping the car until the engine quits in remote future, hope will last over 500k miles.
For first 100k miles I was taking the car to dealership for oil change service at every 10k miles. Afterwards I have been doing it myself, every 7-7.5k miles.
Have changed the rear driveshaft at 90k miles, 165k miles, and at transmission rebuild.
My feeling is next thing to go wrong are going to be DPFs. Few times got the DPF light on, and went off after refueling at other station, caused by fuel quality.
Probably need to replace hydraulic shocks, but at 1k/each just for the part, I am going to wait for a while.
Love the car, has been great car. Hope the was interesting and useful. Regards

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks for that, it was a ripper read and good to know that you're doing all the right things and keeping it going.

Interested to hear further from you about the DPF plan if they become problematic.

Regards Pete.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yep great to see from someone who intends to run the Treg Looong term as i intend to ... i hope 😕

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I love the fact that you're keeping it going, and it's definitely not something that you see often, but it is costing you a lot and not many of us would "invest" that kind of coin to keep a unicorn alive..... I would strongly suggest doing all the wrenching yourself going forward to cut back on all those costs.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It was good to read that you hadn't yet done the camshaft replacement job which is read about on here often. Many V10s suffer from premature cam wear (
Pete

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I'm actually quite surprised that the DPFs are still going.... and that his cylinder plasma coated sleeves are holding up

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yes, indeed Turbo ABA. It would be interesting hear from the OP to hear of what his driving habit is like, is it largely freeway or city driving or a mix, towing lots or whatever and confirm which oil used.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the interest. Most of mileage is highway driving. Not much towing, maybe 3000 miles. I hope I will avoid any camshaft replacement:) I have been doing oil changes, disc and break pad and some other simple jobs. Does anyone know if the turbo electronics is replaceable? I have been using oil from dealership, nothing else. Looks now they switched to Mobile 1 from Castrol oil.
For last 5000 miles I have used 2 bottles of DPF additive in gas tank and the regen smoke has been around very few times. Best

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hi Areg, thanks for the update there. I am curious about the DPF additive in the gas tank. I have a 2009 V10 (R50) and it has a separate reservoir for the DPF regen fluid - an expensive fluid (not to be confused with Adblue fluid - it is not the same stuff even though my local VW dealership tried to tell me it was!). VW Part number is G052 143 A2. There are some alternatives out there (Ford and Peugeot I've read) but it was ~$250AUD per litre for the VW stuff when I checked earlier this year! It lasts a long time ~70,000kms for a full reservoir and my car had been filled just before I bought mine so good for some time yet.

Does the 2006 V10 have this same system for regen fluid? Not sure.

The article here may provide some further insight.

DPF additive

Pete.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Crispy. My 2006 model doesn't have any reservoir. The computer senses how much buildup is in DPFs, and it starts regen cycle. For a minute or two it shoots heavy smoke and people behind me for several occasions told me that my car is on fire:) This is the additive I started using: Amazon.com: AUTOPROFI DPF Clean (for Diesel Particulate Filters): Automotive
I guess it just burns some additional crap in the dpfs. I am glad that mine doesn't have the extra German engineering that yours has.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Right, I see thanks for that. I think maybe around 2008 with a shift in Euro emissions standards was introduced was when the altered regen system (with reservoir) was introduced. I am glad that the additive that you're using seems to work for you.

I would be seriously considering a DPF delete if/when they give me any trouble - for now they're behaving and the occasional tow of the heavy caravan will get it well hot to do a proper burn off regeneration.

Pete.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
OMG... Discussing deletes on this forum.... Hide before the gods notice

Reactions: Crispy3

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Just saying... There is a huge difference in between deleting a dpf at a quarter of a million miles for a failed filter and just taking a working dpf off at 40,000 miles cause you want the 0.25% of hp added back.

Please to keep us updated on the entire vehicle. Many of us want to see how far this one can go. Personally it would be wonderful to see over half a million.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Just saying... There is a huge difference in between deleting a dpf at a quarter of a million miles for a failed filter and just taking a working dpf off at 40,000 miles cause you want the 0.25% of hp added back.
I'll be deleting my 2L TDI once the emissions warranty is up for the MPG gains and failure\complexity reduction, and probably looking to do the same to the 3L TDI once it reaches that threshold as well..... but I won't mention it here... I get in enough trouble already around here ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi there, I have been using Castrol 5-30, LL03 oil, what was sold by dealerships - at around $10/quart. Now they say they only have 0-30 Mobile One that replaces the previous oil. Still have to do some research before deciding what to use. I got that 0-30 for my 2012 Jetta Sportwagen tdi, but still reluctant to use it in the Touareg.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks for that info, the important spec for oil in the V10 is the 507.00 part, if you have DPF fitted. The oil you stated is correct for your car and meets that spec.

Pete.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Thank you Areg for posting this. We love our 07 V10. I bought it about 4 years ago with 107k on the clock. It was perfect and the turbo's had just been replaced. I have every record since new. It was the featured car at the VW display at the Cleveland auto show. Sticker price was $72k. We mostly use it to tow our 1967 Airstream that only weighs 3500#'s. Now it has 147k and so far I have replaced the front air shocks. Oil was changed today I use Motul Specific 5/40 with a VW filter. We were in Hamilton Montana when I discovered a major leak and it was from the O ring in the oil filter canister. Big scare but we fixed it. I'm told that this is not uncommon with after market filters. It was a Mann. Today I learned that I need to replace the particle canisters which are $1500 each ( 2 ) and they need to be replaced every 120k. It's such a wonderful vehicle I hope to get 500k out of it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts