Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to test drive it and look it over real well. If I am not completely thrilled, I will pass. If I am completely thrilled, I will take it home tomorrow.

I'm leaving now, so I will post latter.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm going for it! The V-10 was smooth and powerful and quiet.

Thanks for the check lists etc.

I really did not check the year, but I will tomorrow. Although the dealer did charge me sticker, he did up the trade in value of my F-250 by another $1500 over the amount first offered.

I'll update this more tomorrow.

I will be taking delivery @ noon EST.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spockcat said:
Check the VIN to be sure it really is a 2005 if that is what you want. Official word was that 2005 V10s woudldn't hit the street until January.
You are 100% absolutely correct. It’s not the 2005 model year, it is the 2004 model. The dealer said they would be lucky to see them in January, said more likely in March. It doesn’t matter to me, as I took the 04 anyway.

I have to say it does have a lot more thrust than the V-8. Up front, it is very quiet; in the rear (out side) you can't even hear it running. Funny thing though, the exhaust smells like alcohol or sterno, kind of sweet candle wax smell.

I will post more particulars tonight as I want to "tool around town" for a while and get more familiar with it.

· Registered
170 Posts
Big Joe, smart move!! Even when the 05's finally arrive, VW will import only 420 of them for the entire year. Only 420 2004s will reach our shores. So you can feel good about the price you paid, too.

Congrats! Despite the long wait, you won't be disappointed! The V8 is no match for the V10.

· Registered
9 Posts
V10 SUVW said:
Big Joe, smart move!! Even when the 05's finally arrive, VW will import only 420 of them for the entire year. Only 420 2004s will reach our shores. So you can feel good about the price you paid, too.
What I'm hearing from my colleagues in Germany is that they will be importing 420 '05's early.

Because the '04 was only 45-state certified (EPA), they are bringnig in some of the '05's early to meet the demand in the other 5 (CARB) states (California, New York, etc.) Those states will receive '05's early, and in fact should already be arriving, but the full realease is not planned until beginning of the new year.

I was also told that there will still be a fairly limited release, but I was unable to get any hard numbers. I will keep poking at them and see if I can't get the scoop.

· Registered
170 Posts
V10s won't be 50-state compliant until '06 models are introduced at the earliest because the technology used to make them compliant isn't compatible with the high-sulfur fuel currently produced in the States. And the new fuel regs won't kick in until mid '06.

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
V10 SUVW said:
V10s won't be 50-state compliant until '06 models are introduced at the earliest because the technology used to make them compliant isn't compatible with the high-sulfur fuel currently produced in the States. And the new fuel regs won't kick in until mid '06.
One was already spotted on a dealer lot in Danbury, CT according to this post: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1680648&postid=17068495#17068495

mdjak on VWVortex Forum said:
I don't know about the v10 you are inquiring about, but TODAY I saw a V10 on the lot of Danbury VW in Danbury, Connecticut. The sticker was 57, plus the extras, it topped out at 63. It was a 2004 -- yes, that's right, a 2004, and it clearly said on the window sticker (which was laying on the dashboard) that it was "California and East Coast Emissions Certified." That did add $250 to the price. It was Venetian Green with dark interior, fully loaded. I'll be calling the dealer on Monday.

· Registered
9 Posts
V10 SUVW said:
I can't speak for the T-regs, but another VW model was recently made 50 state compliant with an ECU flash.

Generally in the auto industry that's all it takes, and just to go conspiracy theory for a second: That's most likely where the power differential is derived from. Chances are that nothing else has been done to the engine. :-$
Ok, I'm back ... I feel better now.

· Registered
3 Posts
Re: 05 V10 availability

Just got off the phone with a dealer in florida, according to a VW bulletin, 05 V10 production will START the 45th week of 2004 (which was last week)

Still looking for an '04 V10 on 19s, any suggestions on dealers in your area, in KC, and willing to fly!

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
There are two V10s on eBay right now. I don't know if they have 19" wheels but you can add those later anyway. Besides, if you get snow in your location, you will want the 18" wheels to use as winter wheels. There aren't any decent all season tires for the 19" wheels last I heard.

· Registered
170 Posts
One was already spotted on a dealer lot in Danbury, CT according to this post: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1680648&postid=17068495#17068495

mdjak on VWVortex Forum said:
I don't know about the v10 you are inquiring about, but TODAY I saw a V10 on the lot of Danbury VW in Danbury, Connecticut. The sticker was 57, plus the extras, it topped out at 63. It was a 2004 -- yes, that's right, a 2004, and it clearly said on the window sticker (which was laying on the dashboard) that it was "California and East Coast Emissions Certified." That did add $250 to the price. It was Venetian Green with dark interior, fully loaded. I'll be calling the dealer on Monday.
[/quote]

This information is definitely inaccurate. An '04 V10 that's CARB approved? Impossible. I have seen invoices that contain universal or boilerplate statements that don't necessarily apply to the particular vehicle. They use the same template regardless of how a vehicle is equipped. What really matters is if the emissions placard on the vehicle (underhood or in door jamb) states that the vehicle meets CARB requirements.

· Registered
170 Posts
bsinaa said:
I can't speak for the T-regs, but another VW model was recently made 50 state compliant with an ECU flash.
I can see how this would reduce NOx emissions by reducing fuel injection pressure (and resulting engine power) but I don't see how it would address the exhaust particulate issue since that is also a function of fuel quality.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.