Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the setup I just completed on my V8, I'm sure the same would fit the V6 -1 air box.

After about the fifth time cleaning my K&N they started to look a bit mangled. Like my neighbors cat. I decided it was time to change them completely instead of cleaning. I really like the look of the cone air filters but I know there is no setup for the Treg. Or at least what I would want to pay.

I cleaned my MAF sensors, ever since the piece connecting to the air box has been fragile. It looks like a trumpets end. It easily breaks out of the air box with enough force. Hey, clean that MAF sensor while you're in there too.

I went to Advance Auto and picked these filters, by measurement, they were they best fit. Please take my many fit and fails to your advantage. Also, if you find these online, it'll tell you if your local Advance Auto has these in stock and you can add them to cart and buy them online with a 30% off coupon like I did and pick them up in store. So cheap!

I left the main air box in, you can take them out (10mm bolt) but they have a air flow director to direct air from the front of the car to the air box. The passenger side has some tubes for the secondary air injection and other bits. I just directed these towards the air flow and glued them in place, or you can clamp and drill them in place. Better yet; do it the right way and drill them directly into the cone. I didn't have time for this and well that's a process. In the end, I did notice a noticeable power increase and mpg gain. I don't think these are too big or too small either. I've included pictures of the parts and some of the process. It's a very tight fit, in the end I added some red led strips (comes with 2, $18.99) to the engine bay and painted the intake black (high temp black engine paint). Welcome to any questions and comments. Enjoy, hope this helps anyone.

2x Spectre Air Filter from Advance Auto - $26.99. 8132 is the item no.

TRT30 is the 30% off code for $50+. Which will add up to be two of these. There is an option to buy online and pick up in store, if they have it in stock. (To be able to use the coupon).

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Where is the "cold" intake? These are sucking straight from the hot air in the engine bay. Nicely done though if you just want to delete the standard air filters.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where is the "cold" intake? These are sucking straight from the hot air in the engine bay. Nicely done though if you just want to delete the standard air filters.
There's tubes coming from the front, if you angle these correctly they can suck air from those. It needs more tubing and duct work but is definitely more breathable. Hence the "cold air intake". Make what you want of it. Basically what you see in other models; just made yourself.

This is one for the V6- http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/NEU651095.htm
https://www.vividracing.com/catalog...e-system-volkswagen-touareg-0310-p-74381.html

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It looks nice!

But I, too, think you're sucking in a lot more hot air from the engine compartment. Even with 1/2 of the airbag intact, it looks like you are still pulling heat coming off of the exhaust manifolds and heads.

You could verify/disprove that by looking at your intake air temp in your OBD II monitors.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What if you were to put them down lower away from the engine and maybe put a small enclosure but open at the top to still showcase the filter. Cause I've been wanting to do this but fear il loose more than il gain

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What if you were to put them down lower away from the engine and maybe put a small enclosure but open at the top to still showcase the filter. Cause I've been wanting to do this but fear il loose more than il gain
I'll reload vcds and look at the readings. Just from throttle response and mpg gains I've been happy myself.

This could be done very easily. If anything you'll need extra tubing in the middle to aim downwards. I was looking into this later on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll reload vcds and look at the readings. Just from throttle response and mpg gains I've been happy myself. This could be done very easily. If anything you'll need extra tubing in the middle to aim downwards. I was looking into this later on.
I've got a buddy that ran complete cold intake set up with the metal pipes and all but I don't trust his judgment on wether or not he felt a difference cause he's from Russian and his texts don't translate correctly haha but all in All I like your idea. I was looking to test out AEM air filters but I haven't seen anyone review them on here

·
Registered
314 Posts
In my opinion, you need to remove the bottom portion of the air box. They are serving 0 purpose at this point, other than blocking any potential real cold air from your fender well.

Like FSJ said, all you are doing is pulling all the hot air off your exhaust manifold.

You may like the sound, and you may feel a lil better throttle response. But it is the furthest from a cold air intake.

Take a gander at what I did, and maybe you could do some tweeking to your setup to get a lil better result...

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f92/custom-intake-setup-219194.html

If you utilize the website that I used to source some of my parts, I bet you would be impressed with your second attempt... :)

Just my two cents...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts