Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Touareg world, i bought one that doesnt run for an amazing price and im having trouble figuring out the issue. Maybe someone here has seen it before?

2004 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 126,000 miles.
Misfires on Cylinders 1,2,3,4,5, and 8.
Codes are as follow
P0301/2/3/4/5/8
P0300 Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0381
P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0113 Intake Air Temp Circuit High Input

Starts up, might run for a min horrible misfire and shuts off.

Any ideas would be super helpful.

So far ive only replaced the broken plastic pieces on the Vacuum pumps in the front

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you get the misfire sorted, do make sure that, if you are not 500% certain the cambelt has been changed, you change it ASAP along with the tensioners, water pump and thermostat.

The life of the belt is 80,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.

If the belt lets go the engine is toast.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you get the misfire sorted, do make sure that, if you are not 500% certain the cambelt has been changed, you change it ASAP along with the tensioners, water pump and thermostat.

The life of the belt is 80,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.

If the belt lets go the engine is toast.
It was all changed at 80,000, car is at 127k now.

So you have over 15,000 posts and no idea on this? :( thats not a good sign

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Another 'not-so-good sign is that you got it at a "good" price. Probably shouldn't assume that Nooby's post count is even mostly on the subject of massive V8 engine misfire.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another 'not-so-good sign is that you got it at a "good" price. Probably shouldn't assume that Nooby's post count is even mostly on the subject of massive V8 engine misfire.
Well when i say good i meant great, 1800 delivered to my house 127k miles, 04, clean title, really nice and clean, brand new tires, brand new air suspension from dealership etc.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Hi, you already have the fault codes to start with, but at that milage you have to look at the spark plugs and coils, also cleaning the MAF and IAT sensors will help ( make sure you will let it dry throughout before putting it back together and do not touch anything with your fingers)

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Start with P0106 fault

The first thing I would deal with is the P0106 and the P0113 fault codes. Once you figure out these two fault codes I would see if the vehicle runs any better.

16490/P0106/000262 - Manifold / Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71) / (F96): Implausible Signal

Possible Symptoms

• Erratic Idle
Possible Causes

• Wiring and/or Connections from/to Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96) faulty
  • Leak in Air Intake and/or Exhaust
  • Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96) faulty
  • Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96) wrong part installed, see notes.
  • Engine Control Module faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Engine Control Module Software Version
    • See Special Notes for Details
  • Check Timing
  • Check Wiring and/or Connections from/to Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96)
  • Check for Leak in Air Intake and/or Exhaust
  • Check/Replace Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96)
  • Check/Replace Engine Controle Module
Special Notes

• On certain smaller Engines we've seen cases where a buggy Engine Control Unit Firmware can cause these fault codes, additionally there are known Problems with the Timing Chain Tensioners which can also result in these fault codes. Please refer to the related TPL/TSB for more instructions.
  • The F96 can be an internal part of the ECM.
I have personally seen a Timing Chain Tensioner fail on the a 4.2L only a few times, but will cause the vehicle to run with a misfire.

16497/P0113/000275 - Intake Air Temp. Sensor (G42): Signal too High

Possible Symptoms

• Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
Possible Causes

• Fuse(s) faulty
  • Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Intake Air Temp. Sensor (G42) faulty
  • Intake Air Temp. Sensor (G42) faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Fuse(s)
  • Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Intake Air Temp. Sensor (G42)
  • Check/Replace Intake Air Temp. Sensor (G42)

Once these two fault codes are address, see how the engine runs, if you continue to have misfires, perform a diagnostic procedure for causes of misfires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for posting this, Can anyone tell me what the PN is for the Manifold / Barometric pressure sensor, Ive been looking all over and I cant find out what it is or where it is on this. I do know that I have two MAF sensors, but im not sure those are the same things

The first thing I would deal with is the P0106 and the P0113 fault codes. Once you figure out these two fault codes I would see if the vehicle runs any better.

16490/P0106/000262 - Manifold / Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71) / (F96): Implausible Signal

Possible Symptoms

• Erratic Idle
Possible Causes

• Wiring and/or Connections from/to Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96) faulty
  • Leak in Air Intake and/or Exhaust
  • Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96) faulty
  • Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96) wrong part installed, see notes.
  • Engine Control Module faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Engine Control Module Software Version
  • Check Timing
  • Check Wiring and/or Connections from/to Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96)
  • Check for Leak in Air Intake and/or Exhaust
  • Check/Replace Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96)
  • Check/Replace Engine Controle Module
Special Notes

• On certain smaller Engines we've seen cases where a buggy Engine Control Unit Firmware can cause these fault codes, additionally there are known Problems with the Timing Chain Tensioners which can also result in these fault codes. Please refer to the related TPL/TSB for more instructions.
  • The F96 can be an internal part of the ECM.
I have personally seen a Timing Chain Tensioner fail on the a 4.2L only a few times, but will cause the vehicle to run with a misfire.

16497/P0113/000275 - Intake Air Temp. Sensor (G42): Signal too High

Possible Symptoms

• Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
Possible Causes

• Fuse(s) faulty
  • Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Intake Air Temp. Sensor (G42) faulty
  • Intake Air Temp. Sensor (G42) faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Fuse(s)
  • Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Intake Air Temp. Sensor (G42)
  • Check/Replace Intake Air Temp. Sensor (G42)

Once these two fault codes are address, see how the engine runs, if you continue to have misfires, perform a diagnostic procedure for causes of misfires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, you already have the fault codes to start with, but at that milage you have to look at the spark plugs and coils, also cleaning the MAF and IAT sensors will help ( make sure you will let it dry throughout before putting it back together and do not touch anything with your fingers)
Thanks for the good advice i'll give it a try.

Where is the IAT located on this engine? I cant find many good diagrams on the 4.2

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Touareg CEL issue

Thanks for the good advice i'll give it a try.

Where is the IAT located on this engine? I cant find many good diagrams on the 4.2
PM me your VIN and I run it in my workshop manual and find a few diagrams.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Have you pm'd ringking?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
If you buy it from the dealer, the friendly parts guy or gal will surely be able to tell you where it is, or direct you to someone who knows.

In my GM TBI (throttle body injection) experience, the system will barely run with a bad MAP sensor. I'd look there first. And it's probably cheaper than the O2 or MAF sensors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts