Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the MP3 option? It fits in the rear remote CD changer spot and holds upto 60Gig of disk space. It has removable disks that can be hooked up to your PC to download the music. It also has a speach capability that works through your speakers that tells you the album, song etc. I have seen this option for under $500 which is not a bad deal. Just wanted feedback on this option if anyone has installed.

Thanks

Terry

V8, all but Nav.

· Registered
715 Posts
Yep

It's called a Phatbox. I have one installed in my TReg.

It's absolutely awesome. 20gigs of MP3s at my fingertips. Intuitive menu system through the cd changer controls lets me find songs if I want by artist, genre, or album. I typically have it going random on all songs.

I installed it inside the cd changer area in the back and modified the removable panel to make it fit. The "correct" installation method is in the cargo area flush against the passenger side wall under the power outlets. This was not the "correct" method for me. A little precision cutting using a dremel and now the cartridge only sticks out about 1/2" - Perfect for when I throw luggage in the back - I don't have to be concerned about breaking the Phatbox.

I have pics that I will upload in a bit.

· Registered
715 Posts
Re: Navi

ilan said:
tbroadbent, Do you have NAVI ? lots of people complain about the phatbox when it's hooked up to Sound System II/Navi.

Good point - I've heard that too.

Something else that's interesting I heard - not sure if its true - those folks with the whining noise can reduce/eliminate it by adjusting the floor light intensity.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MP3

I don't have the Nav, which is about the only thing this car does not have. I think I would like to install it on the passenger side, since the drivers side space I use for odds and ends. I also herd that the Kenwood Keg is the same box and you can purchase additional storage in larger sizes. I looked at their website and they have a 60GB drive!! I have an Alpine MP3 head unit in my truck and the thing that I struggle with is organizing the albums in such a way that they are easy to listen to.

The other thing I was wondering about the sound system is; Does it have SAT Radio capability? I am assuming not because the dealer and the manual do say anything about this.

Thanks for the tips.

Terry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.