Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so we leave in a few hours. But while I wait for the girl to get off work, figured I'd make a thread.

Our trip is about 650miles which could be made on a tank with the Touareg 3.0 TDi. But I'm guessing I'm going to be stopping more. Haha.

We rented a trailer from a place, at $54 a day we got it for 4 days. Loaded it up yesterday and leave today, and drive it back up, empty, Tuesday morning.

Here is why I chose this rout over a uhaul:
Uhaul Truck one way rental $900 plus gas, milage and insurance.
Penske was cheapest at around $700 with unlimited miles.
Then looked into Enterprise trucks to do a round trip. $700 plus milage, Nice lift gate.. Diesel.. Said it got 14mpg but who knows.

The trailer I got was $54 a day, x4 days $216. Plus the fuel in my treg. It's a 8x16, dual axle rated at 7000lbs

The Treg has been averaging 20mpgs with how I drive and I have had codes pop for the DPF. So I'm sure it's robbing me a little. With the trailer empty on my way back to the house on the hwy I was getting 13mpg! What the hell! Haha.

So it will be interesting to see how it does loaded down.

Trailer is 1700lbs empty
Tool box 1500lbs full of tools
Maybe another 1500lbs of stuff in there.
Just a couple of flat screen tv's and light boxes in the back of the treg.

What do you guys think? Air suspension aired it up quickly so I'm sure it's not too much Tongue weight. The heavy tool box is over the axles. And everything packed around/under it haha.

I wish I could lock it in off road mode to help with the wind drag. Also had to buy mirror extenders to see around the darn thing haha.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stuff in the front is a couch and love seat and a bunch of lighter boxes. Doesn't get might lighter. The fridge it just in front of the axle and everything else heavy is over the axle.

I'm also sitting on a steep driveway, and the Touareg is leveling it self making it sit that way. I think I will put it on the level street and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not too bad, I drove it around the block, it pulls it nicely stops it good.

The level of the trailer is due to the height of the hitch, I might go buy a drop hitch to flip up and a new ball. If you think being level will help.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would put the fridge next to the toolbox where you have your bike and other furniture...

The hitch looks marginal, I would recommend a weight distribution setup on the trailer, that will help with the tongue weight. If you can put more weight over the rear axle, then that will level the trailer too and put less load on the tongue.

With the setup you have now, the trailer will have a tendency to sway and you won't have a big margin of error to correct it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
hmm... I would be uncomfortable with that load.. The heavier the load, the more I would want to see that trailer level to distribute the weight across both axles.

please be careful towing down GA...

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Be mindful of pulling into driveways and parking lots etc. The hitch may drag on the ground.

To me it looks kind of like you need the tongue to be maybe 2" higher. Ball mount a little higher. I'm no expert though.

Be sure the ball itself is rated for that load.

Drive careful. Good luck.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
After you have been running for half an hour, pull over and stop.

Get out and check the trailer tire temperatures and the hubs with the flat of your hand.

Cool to slightly warm is fine. Hot is not!

Check again at the fuel/coffee/pee stop too.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The photo might be misleading due to lightning but to my eye the trailer tires look underinflated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I plan on stopping at the wawa and checking all the tires.

I just picked up a 2" raise hitch to compensate for the trailer level.

And yea I've had bearings go bad before no fun haha.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 2" lift receiver helped. Could have went 3" I suppose, but it's close enough. I think 3" would have been too much.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I'm glad someone pointed that out, I didn't think about it, but I'm sure it will handle much better now. I will post up tomorrow what kind of milage I get based on fill up to fill up. Not the bs on the mdi haha

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went pretty well, got an average 13mpg. Which is not bad. Of course my girl in her 2013 golf Tdi is averaging 50mpg following behind the trailer hah.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We made it to st George, Sc and I might try to find a scale of one is open on the way down tomorrow. I will keep you all updated!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts