Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this error message today. I jiggled the shifter a bit, but that does not work either. The car is physically in Park, because I get the press foot on brake to move out of P. Talk about conflicting messages!!!

I found a couple of other threads on this subject, but they were for older models. I did activate the gear display a couple of months ago and did not have any problems until today.

Anyone has an idea of what this could be on current model (2014).

Thanks
Marc

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ran a VCDS scan and cleared the error codes for ACC/Start Auth, CAN Gateway, and Central Conv. After this I was able to lock the truck. If anyone else is having this issue, please let me know how to resolve.

Thanks
Marc

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just picked up truck from dealer, they had to replace the entire shifter assembly 7P1-713-025-D. Total parts and labor $1,162.69, Fidelity pick up all except my deductible. I am happy for now.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to my 2013 VW TDI Sport, July 11th, 2018. Except I was unable to remove the keyfob from the dash on the Sport model. It took VW over a MONTH, after initial diagnosis, quoting 7 hours to R&R and about $770 for the 7P1-713-025-D part. Quoted about $1800.

A week to order the part, about 8 working days to receive the part from Germany to the dealership, and another 8 work days until they had someone to R&R the part. About 30 days, total. 2013 had 41,000 miles on it, garaged almost every single day of it's life.

There was not a single part in stock in all the 5 VW parts warehouses in all of the USA.

It's my opinion that this is a heat related failure of a plastic part, happens in the summer time after the heat has been here a while, that VW "improved" in the 2013 model, making it more modular and much cheaper, than it was before. So, now, when one switch fails, the whole more expensive part fails, instead of just a singular switch failing, as before.

Due to me owning so many previous VW's and mine failing at such a low mileage, just inside of 5 years, VW did cover the repair under Good Will, though the 2013 does have a 10 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Actual time to R&R the part was probably 2.5 to 3 hours. It's my guess that's what VW paid the tech for the work. I also got the impression that the service writer padded the hell out of the estimate for hours to do the job. Maybe capngrouch can redact his name and address and post up a picture of his actual service invoice and price of part and billable hours.

I've had a DEF heater fail on my 2014 Passat at 47k miles, one fail on a 2012 Touareg at 44k miles, 2013, probably a little early for it to fail, and still wondering when the 2014 Lux is going to go, at 42k miles. DEF heater failures are known issues on these Touaregs. If you keep your's stock, it's covered under the extended warranty for the dieselgate fix you got. If you tune or modify, you'll probably not get it covered under warranty.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Just FYI: The warranty work is paid by VW to the dealer based on flat book rate. Also VW Corporate does not pay the same per hour charge that we pay. Last time I had good figures, VW warranty work reimbursement was right at half (50%) of what the posted Customer per hour rate was at the dealer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just FYI: The warranty work is paid by VW to the dealer based on flat book rate. Also VW Corporate does not pay the same per hour charge that we pay. Last time I had good figures, VW warranty work reimbursement was right at half (50%) of what the posted Customer per hour rate was at the dealer.
Which would explain why VW independent dealerships have every incentive to try to get the customer to pay for warranty work, and say it's not covered under warranty. 2.5 to 3 hours at flat book rate versus 7 hours at $150 an hour.... do the math. Not a good way to keep VW customers loyal, when a dealership tries to pull a fast one like that. I asked the service writer if he thought it was rather odd to pay 10% of a the value of a 5 year old car to fix something this minor, a basic plastic part, that broke, on a VW. He was silent, when I put it in those terms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
TurdBurgler
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing