Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had enough of eating through tires so I'm making the jump to an LT class tire. Tomorrow the BFG T/A K02's get put on - and then the following day we are running them from Houston, TX to Denver, CO.

If anyone has some been-there/done-that experience with this tire on the Touareg and cares to comment about starting pressures, I am all ears.

I chose that specific tire over others based on:

• LT class tire, Load-Range E
  • Snow/Ice rated (has mountain/snow flake stamping)
  • A ton of positive reviews on every site I can find (granted none in Touareg)
  • A knarly off-roady looking tire to help the cosmetics
Pics will follow when I get to the tire shop on Saturday.

Reactions: C.Hood

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got them balanced and started with 45psi F&R. Thus far have added more Psi to the fronts to get the tide feeling right at about 52 cold.

Very happy with the initial road feel and low noise. I was expecting a lesser quality ride and and happily surprised.

Will report back in the next couple days after we put 1,000+ miles on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
265/60's fit the Touareg way better than the OE size in my opinion. I went with Toyo OC's and love them. The wheel wells are filled out better.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: 1k miles in and we are very happy with the way these ride and handle. The LT-Tire (Load Range E) really performs well under these heavy machines. MPG was variable given the head-winds, ski-box and uphill run into CO from TX.

But on the whole we were getting 19.5MPG indicated, and the speedo is exactly correct now too.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update - we are back home in Texas after driving in Winter Storm Kayla for waaaaay too many hours. I learned that these tires are simply fantastic be it pavement, packed snow, loose snow, hard ice or rain.

Truly wonderful technology and finally a tire that I feel has a great bang for the buck and lives up to the capability of what the Touareg can do. I probably sound like I am selling them - but it's just honest feedback having run through 5 different sets of tires over the last 100k miles and being annoyed at the compromise every time.

MPG average Steamboat, CO down to Humble, TX: 20.5 - still with the ski box and of course lots of road condition changes. But this direction we had a tail wind!

Down sides? The ONLY one I see is that there is a slight wobble to the steering wheel that was not present with normal road tires. A knowledgeable buddy chalked it up to tread design; but my on-road experience says that balance may still be an issue. I am going to have the shop re-do and switch to clamp-weights on the inner and outer rim vs. sticky-wights. I am suspicious that the varying nature of the vibrations that come and go indicate a harmonic situation that the stick weights centrally mounted cannot over-come.

The only other thing I can think of is that a steering damper is needed, or if one exists it's perhaps a bit tired.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for this review. I've been debating this exact tire/size for my '13.

·
Registered
464 Posts
thank you im putting these on my t3 come fall

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Dogs' whatsits!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here is a pic of my 245/70R17's on my T3:

I went with the 30.5's on 17" Canyon rims. This still gives me plenty of sidewall for off-road capability and isn't quite as much tire mass to spin. It's a tiny bit narrower than stock, but again I'm favoring off-road use with these tires.

Getting these mounted and balanced was an adventure. First, I wanted the TPMS sensors removed because the rims came off a T2. Turns out they were badly corroded on and required about an extra 1 1/2 hours to get off with WD-40 and various tools.

Then the problem was that the brake calipers restrict the ability to put weights on the outboard inner surface of the rim, and these rims can't accept the ones that go on the outside of the tire in the bead. I knew this before going into this and even told the guy about it but I guess he didn't believe me because he initially put the weights on anyway and then had to take them back off. In the end, he spent so much time on the tires that he basically gave up and put them on without getting a perfect balance, then put 33PSI in the front and 38 in the back per the sticker. Wrong!

So after a couple of days of having a shaking steering wheel I went to Bruce's Tire where they deal with a lot of trucks and non-stock tire replacements. They were able to successfully balance the tires and now all is good. They also looked up the tire inflation chart and set them at 48-lbs, which matches the stock 255/55/18 specs for load.

Ride is noticeably harsher and noisy, but I didn't get these tires for the ride. I have Blizzak's for winter and the original set of 18" rims I can put all-season's or summer tires on if I feel like it later.

The speedo is 2 mph slow now with the 30.5" tires. I think it was 2 mph fast with the 29" original tires, so with a difference of 4 mph I have to watch my speed now. Factoring in the difference in tire circumference, I'm thinking my average MPG has dropped about 1.5 to about 26.5 on my usual Tahoe up-and-back run. I'll have a better idea once I fill it up and do a hand calculation.

I feel like acceleration is slightly reduced, but that's hard to quantify without a speed trap. The shift from 2nd to 3rd seems a little boggy compared with before.

Overall, I love the look of these things. Not overly tight in the wheelwell, but still beefy. The parking lot attendant at Kirkwood noticed them and said "Wow, those are some beefy tires!".

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
To the OP: you will love these long term. I am running the old K/Os (you have the newer K/O2s based on the newer sidewall design). I purchased mine back in 09' and now have just over 50k on them with just under half life remaining. They blow my mind as they wear like iron and grip well in all conditions. Plus are made in USA, not by an 8 year old slave in some overseas factory.

Try a different pressure for the steering shimmy, they are ok running at a lower psi, but I find they are smoother and have better on road manners with right around 50psi...you should have a max of 80psi on these if they are still rated like mine (verify before you add pressure). Lastly, I have no TPMS...not sure if this matters upping the psi.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Any update on the K02?
I'm planning on getting them in 265/60/18.
I was looking for a 20" set but I changed my mind and am looking for some aggressive look since I saw another thread with a good looking 265/60/18 fat boy wheels setup.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I currently have two Tregs with KO2s. One of these had the original KOs prior to reaching end of life for age. The KO2 tires are a big improvement over the original KOs, the onroad manners are improved handling and reduced hum and the off-road grip seems to be better too...especially in sand where aired down there is now some sidewall tread. Wear seems slightly more on the KO2, but the KO's had around 70k miles on them and an abundance of legal tread when they reached their end of life due to years of service (8 years per manufacturer), so a faster wear for better onroad performance is fine for me.

I personally drove the 70k miles on the KO's and collectively have another 10k miles on the ko2 tires (only one of my Tregs ever had the original KOs). I like them enough to buy them again if I needed.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Thanks for the update. I just ordered a Fat Boy wheels set 18" i plan to sand blast and paint in black then mount them with a new set of k02 on my vr6. The set was 270€ shipped from germany. Missing two ridiculously 'expensive' caps :) around 40€ the cap !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts