Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently had the software updated on for my transmission. Ever since the update I have experienced delayed upshifting after driving up steep hills (I live in San Francisco). The engine revs normally while going up the hill, but once I get back to a flat surface the transmission revs well above where it normally upshifts. This goes on for 4-5 blocks before it returns to normal.

After dropping it off at the shop, the service manager explained that this is normal and is part of the "mountain shift" mode. Has anyone else experienced this with their Touaregs? Is there such a thing as "mountain shift mode"?

· Administrator
4,378 Posts
Never heard of mountain shift mode, and I live in the mountains.

· Registered
104 Posts
I have had the same happen after climbing in San Francisco. I've also experienced temporary throttle and gear "lag" after a multi-hour journey on I-5. It seems our electronic throttle and tranny "map" response to recent use. Try driving hotly on a winding road, and then easing it thru traffic. You'll be more "jumpy".

Having played with Tiptronics for years, this is the best out there. You get a mapping throttle and tranny, Drive or Sport auto, manual gear selection with safety overrides, and a modern "jake brake" type of hill decent control.

Porsche makes more money licensing its Tiptronics to quality manufacturers than it will ever make selling cars and trucks. This is for good reason.

BTW, just wait until you hit 5000 miles, and the treg comes into its own. Drives is more like Sport, and Sport....ee gawd...

· Registered
1,294 Posts
PVilly. I live on Russian Hill. My V-8 drives the same way you are describing. But it does not go on for nearly as long. I just end up driving in triptronic mode on the hills and tell the car when to shift. It seems to have a little trouble understanding the shift points after the hills.

· Registered
6 Posts
i live in the hills in los angeles and experience this same problem. i have to climb a hill to get up to my street - when i reach my street, which levels off, my engine is whining so loudly it sounds like i'm accelerating.
annoying and not right.

· Registered
27 Posts
I also live on a steep hill

I live up a steep hill and tip it into second going up in the snow. I have noticed that although it stays in 2nd it also changes "gears" in so much as the rpms change radically once i get up the steepest part but it does not changes at least according to MFI from 2nd. do we have a split or two speed differencial in this car? (V-10)

· Registered
28 Posts
My does the same thing and I like it a lot. :dance:
Most automatic transmissions shift way to early uphill and when I want to accelerate it is always in the wrong gear.
Try driving highway 1 north of San Francisco and you'll know what thies feature is good for - pure fun.
This feature is GREAT for me, but maybe that is because I tend to drive rather fluid/quick. :crazy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.