Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to plan an upcoming Moreton Island trip but am concerned about lack of ground clearance on my 2012 180TDI (not 4xmotion so no low range or air suspension). The plan would be to head across to the eastern side, up to the cape and across to North Point campground then back along the inland track to Bulwer and Tangalooma. Has anyone done this trip without air suspension and how bad is the central track across to the Eastern side? I have 18 inch wheels and am planning to reduce tyre pressure to 18 psi, ESP off?? traveling with a mate in a Jeep Wrangler so hopefully he could pull me out if I get bogged.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm trying to plan an upcoming Moreton Island trip but am concerned about lack of ground clearance on my 2012 180TDI (not 4xmotion so no low range or air suspension). The plan would be to head across to the eastern side, up to the cape and across to North Point campground then back along the inland track to Bulwer and Tangalooma. Has anyone done this trip without air suspension and how bad is the central track across to the Eastern side? I have 18 inch wheels and am planning to reduce tyre pressure to 18 psi, ESP off?? traveling with a mate in a Jeep Wrangler so hopefully he could pull me out if I get bogged.
Last year I followed a Landcruiser with the rear under mounted spare wheel (standard mount, not latest model). It scraped most of the way across from west to east. But not sure what clearance there was with that wheel on like that.... it seemed to be perfectly angled to act as a scoop (very poorly designed I thought). I was in my work Prado at the time and had no issue, no scraping and from memory the Prado has around 220mm clearance. Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks Paul, do you think the lack of low range will be an issue if I have tyres aired down?
No, tyre pressures is the most important. Should also as always take some recover options like MAXTRAX, or this new one (a 2 kg portable winch you can throw it the back of the Treg). Haven't used mine yet, but I think it's a great recovery option.... Aussie made too.

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,983 Posts
Hi,
Did Moreton last year, went all the way up north and south... did not need low range at all, rode mostly in normal suspension and occasionally in high, that's in my v10 though.
Came across another Touareg, a 7p with no air or 4xmotion, seem to go around okay.
Just have good ATs, keep the pressure low, switch off traction control everytime, keep good momentum and keep max Trax handy just in case

Reactions: Mark Staggs

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,983 Posts
this recommended reading is throwing me out, all these old posts from years ago come up fooling me to think these are current and relevant.....can someone change this so we only get fresh posts....?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts