Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007.5 V8 FSI Touareg. I do love it. But I just hit 70,000 miles. I drive a lot around remote Colorado and Wyoming. Far from any dealership. Im worried about the driveshaft or "carrier bering". Ive been reading all the posts and I'm not real clear if they have updated this part. It seems all the problems reported are 04,05,06. Does anyone know if the part has changed on the T2 or if the V8 FSI has a better lifespan then the older T1's? Im not experiencing any problem, but I don't wan't to break down somewhere crazy this winter. Ive been under the truck and the bering looks OK. A little degradation on the rubber and it moves slightly if I push hard.

Should I swap it out before it fails? Any advise? Thanks Treggers.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
No, it has not been upgraded as far as I am aware. VW deny there is a problem!

I'd change it if I were you as quite a few people are now regarding it as a service item to replace at your own convenience rather than be stranded somewhere.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I haven't heard of a lot of T-2's having driveshaft issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
I haven't heard of a lot of T-2's having driveshaft issues.
That's a very good point. Why don't we conduct a survey to see if the problem is T1 or T2 based or both.. From my observations the forum members who I am aware of with drive shaft problems are T1 owners. This may be simply an age factor, but the results would be very interesting...

Moderators....any thoughts?

Stuart..

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I suspect that most T2s haven't yet got to the 60-70K mileage so even if you asked, you'd need to know what miles the car had covered before you asked if the bearing had failed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts