Club Touareg Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Problem solved! Code did not return and it idles smoothly.
Some pictures below show how disgusting the injectors looked. This vehicle is from Minnesota and I never thought of carbon building up in the injector bores it was impossible to remove the old ones intact without cracking them. The tips were rusted to the head on a few injectors.
Engine is still smoking and I need to fill transmission and drop her so I can go drive around and break her in. The rings need to sit properly and she's burning oil like crazy

Attachments

· Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,456 Posts
I was not expecting to see the injectors in such bad shape. Glad that the error code is gone and the idle is smooth.

What the heck did the previous owner do? Fill up the tank with diet soda?

Fingers crossed for a good engine break in experience.

· Registered
2,241 Posts
Another good reason to use top tier gasoline. It dosent surprise me that if the owner used cheap oil he probably used cheap gasoline too. I use BG 44K in a tank every 6 months or so to keep the fuel system as clean as possible.

Let us know how it runs after you break it in.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Another good reason to use top tier gasoline. It dosent surprise me that if the owner used cheap oil he probably used cheap gasoline too. I use BG 44K in a tank every 6 months or so to keep the fuel system as clean as possible.

I kissed my wife good bye and drove the touareg out and it was smoking sooooo bad that I was afraid of getting pulled over or even worse , stuck!. Very thick plumes of oil all over the neighborhood and straight to interstate where I stomped the gas super hard and took it up to 90 miles per hour. Shifts like butter, all indicator needles look great and at normal ranges. Had some very minor hesitations here and there but boy is the take off power there!
I kept looking in my rear view mirrors and smoke started dying down after half hour driving. Got off an exit and the smoke was clearly dying down some. Then at the light I stomped it and did a u turn back to interstate and punched that pedal. Went through all the tip gears and exiting the highway I took a country road and dogged it some more. Stopping suddenly and taking off suddenly. It took a good two hours but finally the smoke cleared and when I got home I was so happy to see this vehicle on the floor and purring like a kitten. Very smooth ride and surprisingly I don't even need an alignment. She steers straight.
No smoke whatsoever now. No over heating or abnormal ranges on all indicators.
So anyone that rebuilds this 4.2 FSI engine code BAR ... do not get scared with the huge plumes of oil smoking at star up. It takes a while to set the piston rings. Intake was super clean so I know oil was not getting into it. I was terrified that maybe a valve stem oil seal came out. I put them all new. And did a nice valve job lapping them all by hand.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

I agree and after this experience I came to the conclusion that cheap conventional oil and cheap gas with ethanol was the culprit. Previous owner did not do proper maintenances. Maybe the payments left him no choice.
Anyway because of this experience I will never skimp on high octane gasoline and cheap oil. Which reminds me that I need to flush the radiator and put the genuine pink stuff in this week.

· Registered
2,241 Posts
We’ve seen pictures of the engine apart. How about some photos of the inside and exterior of your Touareg?

· Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,456 Posts
We’ve seen pictures of the engine apart. How about some photos of the inside and exterior of your Touareg?
That is a thought. What a crazy ride engine has had with this.

He finally got to sit inside of it, probably for the first time in months! >:)

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
That is a thought. What a crazy ride engine has had with this.

He finally got to sit inside of it, probably for the first time in months! >
Three months since the day of purchase.

Yes I will load some pics later. I need to detail it first because it's really nasty inside out with grease and dust.

I would NOT do all this engine work on a vehicle if the body and interiors are worn out or ugly.

Never had a beautiful painted and rebuilt engine on an ugly ragetty car.

Everyone here has a nice treg so I didn't think anyone was interested in pics, but it's all stock and black exterior with charcoal gray interior but I will post some pics later when I get done detailing.

If anyone knows where I can get a bull guard please provide link. I I think that's the only thing I would add to give it more bulk and aggressive stance in the front nose area.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Some more before pics three days after purchase.

Attachments

· Registered
1 Posts
Ok, today I found out that the brake vacuum pump uses two 404 relays and I had my relays installed incorrectly.
Engine still didn't start.
I disconnected the evap hose at firewall that goes into manifold just in front of throttle body. Used a small empty water bottle to squirt gasoline into this vacuum hose in hopes that gasoline makes its way into the cylinders by suction.
Did a Hail Mary and turned the key.
Started right up!
Smoked like crazy but that is expected after an engine rebuild because piston rings need to sit properly.
Let it idle to operating temp.
Engine miraculously stays running and injectors seem to be operating because I hear the ticking sounds.
The code for injector group a circuit open still exists and comes back after erasing
Looked it up and there's likely a bad injector or bad wire.
Also has a bad Ignition coil because I swapped it and it came up again at another piston. It's idling slightly rough but it turns on every time.

Lesson learned with this engine is that you need to bleed the fuel system or the gasoline will never make it to the injectors
You can crank all day long ...and there's air in the lines.
So put a little bit of gasoline in that bad boy and I will turn on like the sprinkler system after a long time sitting

Going to go to the auto parts store and get an ignition coil later on tonight and I'm going to buy one fuel injector.

Otherwise the engine does crank on every time I don't hear any funny noises or chain rattles resumes to run solid with a slight misfire. Does rev up to 4000 and only but that's because it standing still and the computer won't let it rev past 4,000 rpm

It is smoking like crazy... engine oil is coming out the exhaust on both sides. It has died down some and only comes when you are accelerating it.

But I have done rebuilding on other vehicles in the past and they all smoked like crazy after initial start up ...you have to drive the car and break it in.... I know I put those valve stem seals on brand new and correctly so I can't be that.

Or maybe the PCV unit is no good. I did give it a good cleaning and looks in great condition. When I remove the valve cover gasket oil cap it has strong suction when I put my hand over the hole.

Entonces, de alguna manera, está succionando aceite hacia la cámara de combustión, pero no me voy a preocupar demasiado por eso hasta que deje caer el vehículo y conduzca alrededor de la cuadra unas cuantas veces y ahora mi prioridad es cuidar este ralentí áspero. de y ese código para Entonces de alguna manera está succionando aceite en la cámara de combustión, pero no me voy a preocupar demasiado por eso hasta que deje caer el vehículo y conduzca alrededor de la cuadra varias veces y ahora mi prioridad es obtener este ralentí áspero se solucionó primero y ese código para el circuito del grupo A del inyector abierto el circuito del grupo A del inyector está abierto ...

Si alguien sabe lo que eso significa con más detalles, hágamelo saber que no sé qué es el circuito del inyector del grupo A.

Y si de alguna manera se pueden probar los inyectores sin tener que quitar el colector de admisión nuevamente
[/CITA]
He seguido tu hilo todo este tiempo, tengo una pregunta para ti: tengo un audi q7 3.6 gasolina y reemplacé la junta de culata, después de muchos problemas monté todo y el auto no arrancó, desmonté todo nuevamente y Noto que la leva izquierda del ajustador del eje (lado del conductor) tiene mucho juego (me permite darle casi 90 grados con mi mano) la pregunta es, ¿esto es normal? el otro ajustador no tiene ese conjunto. ¿Puedo dejarlo arreglado?

También agradecería sus comentarios.

Attachments

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.