Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of us have been talking getting together for Moab in October. We did this a couple years ago and it was an excellent time to visit - fairly cool and just before winter sets in.

This will be a weekend-centric type trip - the key trails - Fins, maybe Hells, etc. Its possible we may do some stuff on a Monday afterward or Friday before. I guess it depends on which way the wind blows; its mostly decided the morning of.

With Moab, its generally expected that everyone has Touareg off-road experience. You'll want to have that vehicle confidence before playing on the slickrock. Doing the Touareg Rally in Colorado is highly recommended before coming out.

All this is based on only a couple phone calls and emails; I dont even know what Touareg I may have by then.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moab has some wonderful mountain biking, hiking, rafting, and scenic boat ride activities. Plan a honeymoon! :)

I'll try to get more specific information as we get into the summer.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not done much more with this... We'll need to select the weekend - most likely no later than mid-October since the weather will begin to break down for winter. I'd like to make a run east to Telluride / Imogene /Ouray on the departure, but we'll see.

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
Karl, are you for sure making this happen the third weekend in October? If I can make this with out using any days off work I am in. Only issue I have at the moment is my full size spare is a tad smaller then my daily use tires and I am not sure if I can pick up the correct size one before I get there. I am not interested in the obscure trails you guys did where stuff was questionable in a steel suspended treg. If it is an air only trail ride then I may just stay home. I just don't want to incur anymore damage than what I have on it so far from Ouray.

It is a good call in saying that if you have no previous offroad experience at all in your Treg, this is not really the place to learn how you and your Treg react to terrain. You must be totally in tune with the experienced people on the trail with you and realize they are not going to put you in any harm at all. You truly need to listen to the more experienced people with you also.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Sorry, I am firmly out this year. :(

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Karl, are you for sure making this happen the third weekend in October? If I can make this with out using any days off work I am in. Only issue I have at the moment is my full size spare is a tad smaller then my daily use tires and I am not sure if I can pick up the correct size one before I get there. I am not interested in the obscure trails you guys did where stuff was questionable in a steel suspended treg. If it is an air only trail ride then I may just stay home. I just don't want to incur anymore damage than what I have on it so far from Ouray.
Hi Yeti,

The date has been set up by Hap - weekend of October 17. He has already reserved the same house as last year.

The steel has been noted - Just about guaranteed we'll be doing Fins n Things and that is generally Steel-Friendly. We'll let you know about any specific lines/sections to watch out for as well as any work-arounds. (VegasMatt has the playbook). Moab Slickrock is essentially petrified sand dunes and has mostly rounded profiles. We wont take you on Porcupine with steel - as we tried last fall and the gang completed this spring.

A couple of us are planning to arrive Friday morning (planning, reality may be different) and if we do, we'll keep our high clearance exploration to that day.

Matt and I plan to be departing late Sunday afternoon to make it back to work Monday morning.

Thank-you for repeating the warning on experience.

Saturday and Sunday should be lots of fun. Looking forward to seeing you out there!

Chris -
Miss ya out there. Hope to see you in 2010.l

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on Moab..

There will be at least three Touaregs in Moab this coming weekend October 16-18. If you have experience offroading Touaregs and would like to join us, drop a note here or PM me for contact info. A couple of us will be arriving Friday before noon. Trails for the weekend may include Fins and Things and Elephant Hill - but nothing is in stone. Just a bunch of Touareg offroaders playing on the slickrock.

For those near SoCal, I'll be making a trip to the Anza-Borrego Desert east of Escondido for BorregoFest the following weekend, hosted by OAUSA.net.

Then Hump-n-Bump in Logandale NV a couple weekends later right after SEMA. Its run by my home club.

See you on the trails!

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
I am too busy at work right now and will have to work the weekend. Sucks I will miss it this weekend, but more OT money for the new TDI. :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am too busy at work right now and will have to work the weekend. Sucks I will miss it this weekend, but more OT money for the new TDI. :)
Thank-you for the update,

Yeah, sucks we'll miss you out there.. so damn close.

But you have a new Touareg on the way! The group will probably schedule another trip out to Moab in the late Spring and we'll be expecting to see the 2010 out there, ready to kick some butt!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts