Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MmmBoost's Touareg Adventures Photo Thread

Hey everyone,

I'm a reasonably new member here but a long-time lurker as I've wanted a Touareg ever since they first came out. I do a lot of mountain biking, fly fishing, backpacking, and backcountry camping and when my last car was written off in an accident (not my fault) I ended up missing out on a deal on a TDI T-reg and bought a 2010 Audi A4 Avant S-Line instead. Big mistake for my lifestyle.... So to make a long story short, I traded in the Avant for 2009 TDI T-reg in Galapagos Grey. SOOOO happy with my decision. I've always been into fast cars, and as much as I miss having a quick vehicle that looks sharp....I love my touareg's looks and the freedom to go anywhere I get for it.

So..... I though I might start a thread to share some photography of some of the adventures that I never would have been able to go on with any of my previous low/fast/modified cars :) I hope that it might inspire some of you to try and get out of the city more and make use of the incredibly capable machines we all love.

The previous 2 non-adventure-friendly cars...

2005 Audi A4 Avant Ultrasport. 1.8T w/GT2871R turbo/715cc injectors and tons of other mods. Putting down about 325 hp to the wheels. SO much fun!

The 2010 Audi A4 Avant S-line. Had a pretty fun little 2.0T with 210hp/265tq. Great car with tons of space.....just too low for any real practicality for me.

So enters, the mighty Touareg! Fully capable of taking the kids to soccer practice (I'm single with no kids. lol) ........yet mighty enough to offroad/wade/climb with the best of the lot.

Alright enough intros.....on to the adventures! The first major trip I took with the beast was out to one of my favorite areas of the province about 3-1/2 hours from home. I set out to spend some time exploring some roads I would never dare drive down before in search of some amazing camping and fishing spots. Needless to say, I was not disappointed.

My co-pilot for all of my adventures :) Wiley (why-lee). He's a 2-1/2 year old Hungarian Vizsla

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Our next adventure happened to be a bit of perfect timing somehow. The universe was in my favor and lined up a new moon + the Perseid meteor shower at the begging of my trip. I spent the first night out on a huge peninsula camped under the stars where I spent most of the evening doing some night photography. The next days plan was pack up camp at dawn and set out to explore in depth some of the places I had found on my last adventure. The weather was amazing for the first few days....and then it poured for 2 days straight. Didn't stop me from fishing, but it sure put a damper on the camping portion of the trip. It also made the roads to get out TERRIBLE. Huge puddles of unknown depth, deep ruts, and slimy/greasy mud that made staying on some of the roads a little interesting.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Nice collection of photo's, good to see the Treg being used (mud). One thing I noticed that you have apparently covered up the "USA only (mostly)" amber reflectors in the front bar. Looks 100% better.

That dog has his own driver and photographer, smart animal.

Stuart

Reactions: MmmBoost

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Stuart! I love getting this thing dirty. I'm a little OCD so it has to be either really clean or REALLY dirty. Haha. I'm good with either one :)

Yes I blacked out the front amber reflectors. I always thought they were really distracting and took away from the looks of the front end. I think they're a silly requirement in N/A. the back ones I don't mind as much.

Anyway I used plasti-dip to hide them. They mostly match the texture and color of the plastic lowers on my non-sport version, and it is 100% reversible should I ever choose to do so.

·
Learner
5,023 Posts
Thanks for sharing, top shots and envious lifestyle! Wish i was there doing the same!
Keep it up :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sod the cars, love the dog. This is my favourite:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Great photography - great locations. Well done. Dub

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Am I correct to observe that the man who goes out fishing, ends up cooking steak on his camp fire?

Stuart...

Attachments

Reactions: TheStig

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
that is for the dog the potatoes are either for the shot or he really like spuds on their own

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
wow! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comments guys.

Haha Nooby. yeah i love that photo of him. He doesn't like when I point things at him.....even fish apparently.

Haha, Stuart, you're correct, it's a steak. I'm not into fly fishing to eat, I do it for beautiful places that it takes me and the thrill of landing a big one. A lot of the rivers I fish are catch & release only for most species of trout anyway. I also have to hike in several kms to many of the places I go, so keeping the fish just makes things way to complicated (and dangerous with all the grizzlies and black bears). There are some amazing places to fish here in Alberta and BC, but a LOT of anglers as well, so we need the regulations to protect the trout populations from being wiped out.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Am I correct to observe that the man who goes out fishing, ends up cooking steak on his camp fire?

Stuart...
Seems eminently sensible to me. I mean, you CATCH fish, but you don't actually EAT the tasteless bony things . . . do you?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing!

I can read Wiley's mind. "You want me to eat THAT? Do I suddenly look like a cat dude?!?" :)

Cheers - Andrew

·
Registered
85 Posts
great thread. i also came from a tuned audi avant, but am thoroughly happy with the touareg. i just wish i could take mine as far away from civilization as you. keep it up...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your dog is AWESOME! I've been wanting one for a loooong time now. Pictures are amazing and I love that you actually take the Treg where most don't. Very beautiful scenery out there, making me a little envious. Hopefully you post a lot more pictures!! :wave: \\:D/

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hah! So many comments about my dog. Too funny..... yeah he's pretty awesome. Best camping partner I could ever ask for. I honestly don't think I'll ever have a different breed of dog ever again. Vizsla's are bonkers.....but they are 100% worth it.

Maybe I should post a few more photos of just him? Haha.

He's king of the outdoors.....

and king of my couch...

And truly the most loyal of best friends...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
.......But enough about Wiley, I have to post my last big adventure for the summer :)

I spent 4 days this fall traversing old logging roads and old oil rig service roads. Wiley and I put on over 400 hard kms on the TDI and we stopped to fish every single stretch of water we came across :) We found some amazing scenery, some beautiful rivers, and a few roads I hope I never have to drive on ever again. Haha.

"Did somebody say, Roadtrip??!?!?!"

Beautiful fall colors in the mountains. The trees turning golden yellow and the muskeg turning bright red!

chucking out some flies on gin-clear water

Trying out my new 6 wt. setup for the first time this trip.

Wiley watching for bears while I fish :)

This canyon was an incredible place to be!

It seriously takes me so long to get anywhere when the scenery is this good. I ALWAYS have to stop for photos.

Found an incredible hidden waterfall where we sat and watched the sun sink below the clouds. The sun shining through the spray coming off the falls was incredible.

Right in the middle of a mayfly hatch! A fly fisherman's wet dream...

Found a beautiful place to park the tent for the evening on the North Ram River. I love going to sleep with the sound of rushing water so close.

Mornings like these :) 'Nuff said...

Being up before the sun certainly has it's advantages.

Winter is definitely on it's way with all the snow hanging around on the peaks. And those are just the baby-mountains. I didn't even get into the big boys.

We drove about 40-50kms on HORRIBLE roads to get to this point which was supposed to go up and over the mountain range. We found out that flooding had washed out the road the hard way......so back we went, 50kms at a top speed of 30 km/hr. At least the sunset and scenery were worth it. The fishing sure wasn't, haha.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts