Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a problem with a 2013 V8 4.2 TDI Left Turbo, the actuator arm is missing from the actuator. Has anybody had this problem. Does anybody have a spare actuator arm?
Regards Peter Kinne

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Peter, Mark here we met at Ravenshoe CP a few weeks back, hows the trip going?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Peter, Mark here we met at Ravenshoe CP a few weeks back, hows the trip going?
Hello Mark
Still going, have been up as far as Cooktown then took a flight up to the Tip. Then down to Port Douglas and then on to Cairns. Had another incident with alarms on the Touareg, called in to see a mechanic in Cairns with Turbo experience. Was confident he could copy the right turbo actuator arm and fit to the left. Got it up on the hoist and the right turbo arm was missing !!. Made a few more calls and contacted an ex VE mechanic, apparently it is a well documented fault that is not well liked with VW. I have now contacted VW Australia to complain, will see how we go, Still limping along OK. Have had some great fishing and snorkelling trips. How are you all going?
Regards
Peter & Anne

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
333 Posts
Hi Peter,
I actually had this issue with one of my turbo actuator arms a couple of months ago. In my favour though was the fact that the arm had dropped onto the underbody plastic shield and hadn't vibrated off, luckily. It was found because I noticed that all of a sudden when you put your foot down it was like stuttering until it got up to around 3k revs per minute. Luckily I was only a couple of days out from a service which is where they found it. I drove around for about a month following the service while my mechanic searched to find a solution to the little split pins which had obviously dropped off or rusted off or whatever. As long as I was on light throttle duties it wasn't going to hurt the car. After about a month of trying my mechanic actually had me come back in and they managed to use something to sort of manufacture a split pin solution. I was advised that had I lost that actuator arm, I was going to be up for a new turbo because they don't seem to just sell the arm as a part, so I am really hoping for your sake that VW Australia come to the party and assist you. Please let me know how you get on.

Reactions: Mark Staggs

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Peter,
I actually had this issue with one of my turbo actuator arms a couple of months ago. In my favour though was the fact that the arm had dropped onto the underbody plastic shield and hadn't vibrated off, luckily. It was found because I noticed that all of a sudden when you put your foot down it was like stuttering until it got up to around 3k revs per minute. Luckily I was only a couple of days out from a service which is where they found it. I drove around for about a month following the service while my mechanic searched to find a solution to the little split pins which had obviously dropped off or rusted off or whatever. As long as I was on light throttle duties it wasn't going to hurt the car. After about a month of trying my mechanic actually had me come back in and they managed to use something to sort of manufacture a split pin solution. I was advised that had I lost that actuator arm, I was going to be up for a new turbo because they don't seem to just sell the arm as a part, so I am really hoping for your sake that VW Australia come to the party and assist you. Please let me know how you get on.
Hello Snerlo,
Thank you for the information, Your mechanic was correct can’t buy a spare part for these turbos. Have tried wreckers, ebay, overseas re-manufactures, no joy. Have asked for the centre to centre measurement of the arm but nobody is willing or able to send me the info. Have asked someone on Ebay UK who is selling twin turbos if he can send me a measurement to get them made. Will let you know how I get on
Regards Peter

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
333 Posts
OK mate. No worries. Hope you have some luck. The problem with them though is that they have two very slight bends in them. They are not perfectly straight. Not sure if that makes a difference or not as I am far from an expert on them.
I did hear that the V10's had a similar problem and that there was a replacement part and new clips but from what I was led to believe, it was different from our V8's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK mate. No worries. Hope you have some luck. The problem with them though is that they have two very slight bends in them. They are not perfectly straight. Not sure if that makes a difference or not as I am far from an expert on them.
I did hear that the V10's had a similar problem and that there was a replacement part and new clips but from what I was led to believe, it was different from our V8's.
Thanks Snerlo
If my other arm had not fallen off as well, would have just copied it and problem solved. No such luck so far.
Regards Peter

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
207 Posts
Copying the arms cannot be to hard if you can get photos of a sample. But VW should come to the party if an arm comes off due to what is obviously a design problem and supply a replacement, not require you replace the whole turbo.

You could always order a turbo from VW take the arm off and return the unused turbo for a full refund --- just tell them the arm fell off all by itself so you threw it away and why should you replace it :)

cheers
Rohan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts