Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently took a trip to Stanislaus and Merced counties in California and I was surprised (or should I say not surprised) to see that most if not all the roads in those county were missing. All that was visible were the main roads with their points of interest. When I was on roads that it did not know, it said that I was driving off road. Just so you know, the roads I was driving on were pretty old roads, not new ones that I would expect to not be in the Nav system. To confirm that NavTeq had the roads in their base map, I check with the Garman MapSource CD set as well as Microslop MapPoint, both of which show the correct information. Has anyone else run into problems like this? I just got off the phone with VW Customer Service and they had no idea about this. I also made mention about the fast clock in the instrument cluster and they did not hear of that either. Now I am off to call NavTeq and my VW Service center about this.

Mark

2004 V8 Touareg

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Best thing to do is to use the driver's feedback page on Navteq's website. Give them specifics. They will respond pretty quickly (24 hours or so). I have the same issue in when I travel in VT. I submitted feedback last year about this and they told me this would be on the new CDs which are due out very soon.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have submited that to them already and got a canned response back saying that they update their maps 4 times a year and that there is usually a 3 to 6 months lapse on the updates. The fact that the information is lacking on the Nav unit is not a screwup in the map, but a screwup in the programming. Since garmin and microsoft both use the same map information from navteq and they both show the corret information, I would only assume that problem is with the implementation and not the maps. With this in mind, I believe that VW or Navteq should provide the update free of charge for short changing everyone on the first revision. I have a ticket open with VW right now and am trying to get through to my VW dealer to find out if they know of any known problems with the Nav unit.

Mark

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
mkadlece said:
I have submited that to them already and got a canned response back saying that they update their maps 4 times a year and that there is usually a 3 to 6 months lapse on the updates. The fact that the information is lacking on the Nav unit is not a screwup in the map, but a screwup in the programming. Since garmin and microsoft both use the same map information from navteq and they both show the corret information, I would only assume that problem is with the implementation and not the maps.

Mark
Same situation with VT. They had the data but it wasn't implimented on the VW discs. I thought this was a major flaw given that the Touareg makes a wonderful ski vehicle.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just talked with VWoA and they are absolutely no help at all in getting issues rectified. They keep pushing issues back on their dealerships to have them go through TechLine. Unfortunately, I do not have much faith in TechLine if their Customer Care department cannot even help me file a formal defect in their software and they cannot even admit to the problem. That is a problem in itself. I just want properly updated CDs that have the correct information, and I do not feel that I should pay for them since they have have serverily misrepresented their capabilities. If I get them to replace my CDs I will be sure to let everyone know.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has been two weeks and I have not heard anything back from the dealer on the missing roads and towns. The last time I talked to them, he mentioned that they may replace the CDs for the next revision.

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.