Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a Touareg Execline R-Line 2014.

Is there someone who find a way to mirror a Iphone 6 display in the radio display. The main purpose is to use my Plans appl for navigation because I want to be up to date on road modiffication and traffic. It's seem the Nav updade from VW are not so frequent. Of course, I understand I sitll have to control the Nav by my Iphone or may be there is an option to use the touchscreen on my RBNS850 to set the destination.

Till now I' not ready to install a Pionneer radio with Carplay integration, It's too expensive.

Since I canceled my radio Sirrius subscription and replaced it by Spotify, I wish to do the samething with Traffic from Sirrius.

·
Registered
321 Posts
you will need
RCA to MMI cable
HDMI to RCA converter
Lightning to HDMI cable from Apple

you will then be able to mirror your phone to the nav screen via AUX channel, but you won't be able to control it via the nav screen or steering wheel.

to solve the problem, I jailbreak the phone and installed BT Mouse tweak from Cydia and then paired the Magic Trackpad to the phone. I can then leave the phone in the center console box and use the trackpad to control the iPhone. But using a mouse or equivalent pointing device while driving is very dangerous. Even after uploading an enlarge pointer icon via iFile on to the phone, it will still take your eyes off the road for a very long time for every click (find where the pointer is, look for where to click, move the pointer and make sure it is on the button that you want to click. Feels easy while sitting in a room, but you've already traveled 1/4 miles in a car with you eyes off the road..) I don't recommend doing something like this.

it is still the best to buy a vent mount and interact with the phone using your fingers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carplay integration in touareg 2016 not yet available, it's a shame !

Hello, I don't try the suggestion because, I don't want to jailbreak my IPhone. Sorry.

One more thing, I received a wonderfull big annoncement last spring from VW Canada, they now offer CarPlay integration in their 2016 line-up but don't mentioned it's not available on Touareg.

I think they forgot it's the most expensive line-up in VW or may be touareg is over.

As I sent a comment to VW Canada, I asked why you don't offer CarPlay on Touareg at 75K CDN, it's simply a shame. You can now have it on low line-up model from any car builder. IT's time to wake-up. Till now, I don't see anything on Carplay integration on 2017.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Or you can Airplay to RNS850,

you will need
airport express, older version since it's smaller. or a 4G hotspot
apple tv, also older version is smaller, easier to tuck under or behind somewhere.
HDMI to RCA converter
RCA to MMI cable, (the VW part sold by the dealer)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello, I already have an airport express that I'm not using it. So can you give me more information.

Also, I already have a connector from VW call " Digital Media Adapter Cables - Lightning Charger - Black
Part Number: 000051446Q. So From there can I use the cabe Digital Media or I still have to use my Airport express ?

then what I have to do.
Thank's for your help

·
Registered
783 Posts
CarPlay isn't offered in the Touareg because of the level of integration between the head unit (radio) and the rest of the vehicle. The current head unit (RNS-850) is running QNX - which is software made by Blackberry (of all companies). It's widely regarded as the best out there. However, it's obviously a major (cost and time) undertaking to re-do all the software.

My guess is that you will see Car-Play in the new Touareg / Blue Motion next year - with a whole new radio. Its just simply too tough, too expensive, and they don't sell enough Touareg's to justify the change.

As an iphone owner, it would be nice....

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes , I suppose too. I bought that car because I was fed-up to have a pick-up to tow my trailer camp of 6.5k lbs, that's why I have a Touareg diesel.

On the other side, they don't sell anough of them to introduce update regardless it's an expensive car as Porche Cayenne as the same issue I think.
Anyway, I figure out that one day it will be offer and finally it will be definitly over the crasy thing about to ask expensive options like nav when it's available with IPhone and much more up to date regardless in Canada we get update later as usual. Back country.....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hello, I already have an airport express that I'm not using it. So can you give me more information.

Also, I already have a connector from VW call " Digital Media Adapter Cables - Lightning Charger - Black

Part Number: 000051446Q. So From there can I use the cabe Digital Media or I still have to use my Airport express ?

then what I have to do.

Thank's for your help

You do not necessarily need to use an airport express, the 3rd Gen apple TV can airplay via Bluetooth or wifi on the current firmware. You will still need the hdmi to rca converter and the mmi to rca adapter. The lightning cable one does not have the same functionality to my knowledge.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hello, I already have an airport express that I'm not using it. So can you give me more information. Also, I already have a connector from VW call " Digital Media Adapter Cables - Lightning Charger - Black Part Number: 000051446Q. So From there can I use the cabe Digital Media or I still have to use my Airport express ? then what I have to do. Thank's for your help
That MMI TO LIGHTNING cable only connects the 'iPod' part of your phone. You will need a new cable. Search 'MMI TO RCA CABLE' on google image to see what it looks like.

You will also need a converter to convert from HDMI to RCA, not the other way around.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You do not necessarily need to use an airport express, the 3rd Gen apple TV can airplay via Bluetooth or wifi on the current firmware. You will still need the hdmi to rca converter and the mmi to rca adapter. The lightning cable one does not have the same functionality to my knowledge.
Can you airplay video through bluetooth? Not sure if BT4 has enough throughput?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Can you airplay video through bluetooth? Not sure if BT4 has enough throughput?

It works, we use it that way in our conference room at work.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289

Use peer-to-peer AirPlay

With peer-to-peer AirPlay, your iOS device and Apple TV don't have to be on the same Wi-Fi network. To use peer-to-peer AirPlay, you need one of these devices with iOS 8 or later:
iPhone 5 or later
iPad mini or iPad (4th generation) or later
iPod touch (5th generation) or later
You can stream content to your Apple TV (3rd generation rev A, model A1469 or later).
Make sure that both devices have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on. If you want to stream iTunes Store content, you also need an Internet connection.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It works, we use it that way in our conference room at work. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289 Use peer-to-peer AirPlay With peer-to-peer AirPlay, your iOS device and Apple TV don't have to be on the same Wi-Fi network. To use peer-to-peer AirPlay, you need one of these devices with iOS 8 or later: iPhone 5 or later iPad mini or iPad (4th generation) or later iPod touch (5th generation) or later You can stream content to your Apple TV (3rd generation rev A, model A1469 or later). Make sure that both devices have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on. If you want to stream iTunes Store content, you also need an Internet connection.
Right! Forgot about that p2p thing. Data is still transferred via wifi, but apple uses bt to do a handshake first.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As I sent a comment to VW Canada, I asked why you don't offer CarPlay on Touareg at 75K CDN, it's simply a shame. You can now have it on low line-up model from any car builder. IT's time to wake-up. Till now, I don't see anything on Carplay integration on 2017.
Couldn't agree more here. My thought would be upgrades from the top of the line down. However, I can see why putting upgrades in the higher volume selling cars makes more sense from the company's perspective. Just look at the number of cars on the lot. Just a few Tregs, but so many Jettas, Golfs, etc. Unfortunately the higher end customers get shafted a bit over the masses. But I'm certainly in the same boat and would have loved to have an upgraded unit in my new 2016 car. My 2012 GTI had a better head unit.

CarPlay isn't offered in the Touareg because of the level of integration between the head unit (radio) and the rest of the vehicle. The current head unit (RNS-850) is running QNX - which is software made by Blackberry (of all companies). It's widely regarded as the best out there. However, it's obviously a major (cost and time) undertaking to re-do all the software.

My guess is that you will see Car-Play in the new Touareg / Blue Motion next year - with a whole new radio. Its just simply too tough, too expensive, and they don't sell enough Touareg's to justify the change.

As an iphone owner, it would be nice....

Hope that helps.
Looks like you and I are on the exact same page. Great info here btw. I didn't know the background as to why they weren't changing out the software in the unit itself. Now it all makes sense. I just hope whatever head unit they put in the 2017 models is something we can put retrofit to ours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im thinking about doing this to my Treg.

Mighty Car Mods did something similar a while back.

I cant link their video because i do not have 5 posts or more, but if you go on Youtube, type "Install Airplay In Your Car", look for the video by mighty car mods.

They showed how to remove the power supply from the Airport Express and use a voltage regulator instead to provide 12V directly to it.

Its pretty involved so i'd say its not for the faint of heart

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know how to mirror the RNS850 screen to an external monitor? I have enabled Video in motion and want to run video to a seat mounted monitor.

·
Registered
321 Posts
one work around is to do this

phone HDMI adapter > HDMI splitter > HDMI to RCA converter > RCA to MMI cable that came with the car.

from the HDMI splitter, route 2 cables to rear monitors.

You won't be able to watch DVD using the player in the glove box, but you could rip the DVD and store that on your phone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts