Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Michelin Crossclimate 245/45/20 for my T-rex I love the aggressive tread and very grippy. I did think of going to 18 inch vredestein, but decided against it.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Excellent choice. That was actually going to be my next tire of choice but I'm going with a much-needed AT. Great purchase - I think you'll be exceptionally happy with them. What types of terrain do you endure?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent choice. That was actually going to be my next tire of choice but I'm going with a much-needed AT. Great purchase - I think you'll be exceptionally happy with them. What types of terrain do you endure?
Basically it my "glamping" vehicle. But it sees fair amount of trips to Tahoe and Yosemite all year round. So basically no offloading. But plenty of tarmac, moderate snow and gravel. Next month will be heading to Mt Zion and Grand canyon.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I have a feeling these tires will be great for you. Please keep us posted on them in the future too!

·
Registered
2011 Execuline TDI - Toffee Brown Metallic
54 Posts
Unique, but sharp looking tires. Notwithstanding the Crossclimate branding, I doubt they will be much good in Tahoe snow. Dedicated winter tire for snow; however, I anticipate these 4 season tires are better in snow than all seasons.

Nice ride.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unique, but sharp looking tires. Notwithstanding the Crossclimate branding, I doubt they will be much good in Tahoe snow. Dedicated winter tire for snow; however, I anticipate these 4 season tires are better in snow than all seasons.

Nice ride.
You are right nothing beats dedicated snow tires. Will keep the forum updated how these perform later this year.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts

Nice ride.
They're 3 peak mountain snowflake rated tires. They're excellent in the snow.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Yes they do have the 3 peak sign on them, that was one of reason why I thought they would be ok in mild to moderate snow. Well I will find out later this year.
If they're anything like my WRG3-SUV they'll be killer in the snow, and as far as I'm concerned the cross climate is in the same class.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This video helped me make my decision on crossclimate tires. I thought it was unbiased ( even though it was sponsored) and explained some key points clearly.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Yes they do have the 3 peak sign on them, that was one of reason why I thought they would be ok in mild to moderate snow. Well I will find out later this year.
From experience, although the UK doesn't get big dumps of snow, they work well in up to 12 inches of snow.

Like any tire, especially winters and ATs, performance falls off a cliff at 4mm when they are 50% worn.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
This video helped me make my decision on crossclimate tires. I thought it was unbiased ( even though it was sponsored) and explained some key points clearly.
I've seen that. He's an interesting guy to follow and has sound reasoning.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The big reason I run a dedicated winter setup is because of tire wear. Big performance drop-off of tires in the snow and slush once they get below 5 or 6 mm. While a tire with that depth would have a lot of 3 season life left, they become useless in the snow. I've been running the same summer/winter setup for 75,000 miles and have 20,000 miles left in the set. If I was running 1 set I would have had to replace them 30 or 40,000 miles ago due to winter traction.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,194 Posts
The big reason I run a dedicated winter setup is because of tire wear. Big performance drop-off of tires in the snow and slush once they get below 5 or 6 mm. While a tire with that depth would have a lot of 3 season life left, they become useless in the snow. I've been running the same summer/winter setup for 75,000 miles and have 20,000 miles left in the set. If I was running 1 set I would have had to replace them 30 or 40,000 miles ago due to winter traction.
It all depends on your local climate - where winters are more severe, it's better to use dedicated summer/winter sets of tyres but in more mild climates it's more practical to run All-Seasons all year round.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It all depends on your local climate - where winters are more severe, it's better to use dedicated summer/winter sets of tyres but in more mild climates it's more practical to run All-Seasons all year round.
Agreed, I commute through the most active lake effect snow band in the US. Snowiest non mountain area in the US. I'll never go back to all seasons in the winter. The only reason I run a/s in the summer and not a true summer tire is the random out of season snow storms. Heck, it snowed here last night so I woke up this morning and my yard was white!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts