1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The multifunction display on my
Touareg 2003 V8
Fades on hot days.

It gets worse at the temperatures rise - but given that last summer we had 16 days straight where the temperature did not fall below 35 oC, series of hot days are a reality.

The display fades from red to black from the left hand side of the screen.
Often takes out the whole of the radio/CD display
Recently has taken out half of the gear selection display
The centre box, left hand side has disappered.

I dropped the car in for its 60,000 km service - and raised the issue with the service reception - but it is a 23 oC day here so they are not going to be able to recreate the problem.

Is this a problem for others too?

Cheers
David

·
Registered
10 Posts
This seems to be a common problem for some VW models. Both my '06 T-Reg and my '02Passat share similar heat related display issues. The T-Reg MFI display flickers at a high frequency during Summer days along with fading charecters across the top portion. My Passat's display fades almost to black on the hottest of Summer days. Your problem will be demonstrating the problem to your dealer's service writer, without doing so they will not be sympathetic to your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't need to be that hot.

My car is just coming up to 5 years old.
I was having a service done - just prior to the expiry of the extended warranty. I raised the issue of the fading MFI - but in the report back - "Unable to replicate".

When I picked up the car from the garage that afternoon - even though it was only 16o C, there was still some evidence of fading - so I called out the mechanic - and he confirmed.

He was suggesting that VW will have to replace the whole dash.

I will let you know what eventuates.

Kind regards
David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts