Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Touareg TDI - Has anyone seen this problem?

I watch and use the MFD mpg since refuel all the time. Unfortunately, the mpg resets by itself, just like the vehicle has been refueled right around 1/4 of a tank. For the first 3/4 of a tank the (as an example 24mpg) will be displayed everytime I start my vehicle, then (---)!

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I've noticed a similar issue on my 2010. I usually keep the MFD set to the Avg MPG 1, which is the trip average. It will automatically reset to --- after sitting for about 2 hours as expected. I occasionally push the roller button to display Avg MPG 2 which, according to the manual is the rolling lifetime average. If I read it correctly, it should only reset after 9,999 miles. But occasionally it will reset upon pushing the roller button.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yep, I've seen this . . .

I figured I accidently bumped something and didn't worry about it. When it happened a 2nd time, I went in and checked to make sure I was still set to reset after refill rather than at start up and it was still set to refill. Doesn't mean I'm still not accidently hitting something though . . .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank You!
Unfortunately, I have been told VW dropped this feature (since refuel memory) for the 2010 model. I have also been told everything checks out fine and it maybe a "logic" issue. What "enigma" stated, "should only reset after 9,999 miles" I believe to be the "logic" issue but for some unknown reason I can't quite seem to get 9,999 miles between refuels, so I don't really think this is the problem. Forgive my sarcasim! Another thing I have done is to only add about $20 of fuel, 5 or 6 gallons, which raises the fuel guage needle just above the point where it resets by itself. I may drive 100 miles or less before it resets again.
So far the cluster module, plus both (2) tank sending modules have been replaced and still the problem exists.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Mine has the monochrome MFD (non-Nav model). So mine has two memory storage areas (1 and 2) for mileage data. Here's what page 28 in booklet 3.1 Controls and Equipment states about each memory storage area:

"The Since start memory (storage level 1) collects the driving and fuel consumption data from the time the ignition is turned on until it is turned off. If the trip continues within two hours after turning off the ignition, the new data received are included in the memory. If there is more than a two-hour break in the trip, the memory is automatically deleted.

The Long term memory (storage level 2) collects the driving values for any number of single trips (including if the ignition has been turned off for more than two hours) up to a total of 99 hours and 59 minutes of driving time, or a distance of 9999 miles or km, or 999 gallons or liters of consumed fuel. When one of these values is exceeded, the memory is automatically deleted."

So I was missing some of the trigger points that would clear the memory storage area 2 (long term) :rolleyes: .
Cheers

·
Registered
839 Posts
I need to drive more each week . . .

So, if you take longer than 100 hours to burn up a tank, you lose your reserved calculation.

That explains it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It is worth noting that the avg 2 will reset if you press the button and hold it for a few seconds. On my '05 I've never noticed it resetting itself over a week. Actually, memory 2 never reset itself other than when I press and hold the button, so I use it for per tank calculations.

Also, the hour count on memory 2 is driving count. So, if you leave your car parked for 10hrs after driving 2 hours, when you turn it on it'll show a 2 hours trip time. It only reset after 100hours trip time.

I hope that made sense.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is worth noting that the avg 2 will reset if you press the button and hold it for a few seconds. On my '05 I've never noticed it resetting itself over a week. Actually, memory 2 never reset itself other than when I press and hold the button, so I use it for per tank calculations.

Also, the hour count on memory 2 is driving count. So, if you leave your car parked for 10hrs after driving 2 hours, when you turn it on it'll show a 2 hours trip time. It only reset after 100hours trip time.

I hope that made sense.
BrShootr, Enigma and Canon_Mutant

With the 2009 Touareg there is a Since Refuel Memory, which states "the since refuel memory collects the values until they are automaticly deleted by a refueling." To me that means only one thing, this doesn't reset by itself, doesn't reset after 100 hours, is impossibe for my vehicle to get over 9,999 mpg and then should only reset when I refuel the vehicle.
I understood what Enigma was saying because he quoted the same info for the other memories listed in my book, minus the Since Refuel Memory which is listed in the 2009 model.
At first I didn't understand what Canon_Mutant was saying about the 100 hours answering his question on his vehicle reset in relation to my encountered problem!
Then the way BrShooter stated the 100 reset made since and at first I saw it as a possibility of an answer to my problem. I was going to go fill up mine and try one more time and check the hours to see if that was the reason for the self reset.
However, now I realize there is a problem with my vehicle and I doubt anyone will not convience me otherwise. I don't have to go fill my vehicle up and try again. This problem has nothing to do with a logic function. Since they have worked on my vehicle I have only put between 5 to 7 gallons of fuel, $20 to $25. Just in case they need to work in the fuel tank again. Which raises the fuel guage needle just above the 1/4 tank point where this reset occurs all the time. I have done this a couple of times now. The cluster module has been replaced and both sending modules in the tank have been replaced. When after driving 50 to 90 miles or so the mpg since refuel resets by itself. I have not even come close to driving more than 9,999 miles or 100 hours.
Now did I have this problem before they replaced the comfort module for alarm problem?

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
BrShootr, Enigma and Canon_Mutant
Now did I have this problem before they replaced the comfort module for alarm problem?
That's an interesting point. I haven't had my comfort module replaced yet (and yes I have the annoying alarm problem sporadically). I'll see if mine automatically resets after going down past a quarter tank of fuel left. But I don't think mine has the auto-reset after refuel feature.
Cheers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alarm problem

That's an interesting point. I haven't had my comfort module replaced yet (and yes I have the annoying alarm problem sporadically). I'll see if mine automatically resets after going down past a quarter tank of fuel left. But I don't think mine has the auto-reset after refuel feature.
Cheers.
Enigma Just about everytime I got out of my 2009 Touareg and pressed the keyfob to lock the vehicle the alarm would go off! VW replaced the comfort module for this problem and it has not gone off since!
I found this problem mentioned on another thread within Club Touareg and someone stated this also could be caused by a poor ground. Not sure about this but maybe so!

As I said before, I was told the 2010's don't have the Since Refuel Memory. So you probably don't have this type of problem and I hope you don't! I'm not sure why they told me this, since I have a 2009!
The other last thing they told me was everything checked out fine and that the VW rep thought it had to do with a logic function. Personally, I am beginning to think the rep can't or won't fix this problem! I know those are strong fighting words and I'll probably tick someone off but....
I'm getting a little ticked off myself...
VW wanted to see pictures of what I was talking about (what you don't believe me) so I took picture on my phone but couldn't send them. So I went out and bought a camera to do this. Then I sent the pictures to the dealership who sent them to VW. When I checked back with the dealership they stated VW had lost them and wondered if I could take more and send them again, which I did. I can prove there is a problem and I can prove everything doesn't check out right and I can still do so today! The next thing I might do is to a video of this if I can bring up a date stamp.
Unfortunately, I'm getting the feeling they'd just like for me to go away! Unfortunately, I probably won't!
I'd sure like to know all the things that are in the fuel tank so I could try to figure out this problem.
I have never had this problem before and I believe both past Audi's had this since refuel function (but not worded that way)and I also believe the GLX and Corrado did also because I write this info down eveytime I fill up and have done so for the past 20 to 25 years or longer. The only time the MPG reset was when I filled the vehicle up.
I guess the problem has been big enough VW just got rid of this memory function for the 2010's or maybe it's just called something else.

Hopefully, the alarm problem is the same and you can get it fixed!

·
Registered
839 Posts
2010s have it

2010s have the "since refuel" mpg setting. And, per my previous post, I've seen this problem too. I also have the intermittent alarm problem. Neither has risen to the level of pissing me off yet but I do intend to continue to work with my dealer to resolve them each time I am in. Dealers can be a PITA but you just have to be persistent or try another service department.

good luck . . .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bio Bill, I have the same problem with the since refuel reset. never noticed it happened at 1/4 tank though just thought it was random. And I have the alarm issue. And my adBlue warning didn't work until it was at the not let you start the engine point. Sure its all related, electrical problems. . .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
rosenbma

It's been a while, though I did try to answer this before but I guess I spent to much time writing and when I tried to post what I had written I had been kicked off the system and had to sign back on. Only to find everything I had written was gone. I was a little angry so maybe it was better, I had been signed off.
To answer your question, No , the resetting of the mpg since refuel has not been corrected and it doesn't look like it's going to be.
I have been told everything has been changed that may cause this problem. If it is a logic problem, which the VW service rep believes it is, the only way this could be corrected would be to contact Germany and the person who wrote this program.
Since I am the only person with this reported problem, they didn't think this would be addressed.
So my next step, if I can, is to post a new thread. Asking all to respond if they have this problem and I will send it to VW. This way maybe VW will realize that my Touareg is not the only vehicle with this problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts