Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Toaureg; purchased used. There is no section in the main MFD that displays speed. The only digital speed read out is in the bottom right of the dash console read-out in KM/H. What is the procedure to change to MPH and possibly move into main MFD?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just move to a metric country. Problem solved.
I think you'll find the switch in the Car Setup section of the central infotainment unit.

·
Registered
658 Posts
2008 Toaureg; purchased used. There is no section in the main MFD that displays speed.
There is. You just have to rotate through the different things (panels) it can displays, by rotating the wheel-like menu button ("thumb wheel") on the right side of your steering wheel. One of the panels is the speed. This has two modes, denoted by a 1 or 2 in the top right corner of the display. One of them displays an average speed and the other the actual speed of the car. Obviously it's the latter you need.

The only digital speed read out is in the bottom right of the dash console read-out in KM/H. What is the procedure to change to MPH and possibly move into main MFD?
The units on the MFD can be changed by going into the MFD menu (by pressing the "right" button on the right side of your steering wheel) while the car is stationary, scrolling down to "Units" and then changing it appropriately. There's also an option called "Alt. speed disp.", which allows you to have the speed displayed at all times in the MFDs lower right corner, albeit in rather small font.

Notice however, that any changes to the units will only affect the digital/MFD display, and not the analog speedometer. So, when then arm on that will point to like 80 (and you've a European model with km/h label on it), it will mean you're actually driving 50 mph (=80 km/h), regardless of you having changed the units on the digital display from km/h to mph.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is. You just have to rotate through the different things (panels) it can displays, by rotating the wheel-like menu button ("thumb wheel") on the right side of your steering wheel. One of the panels is the speed. This has two modes, denoted by a 1 or 2 in the top right corner of the display. One of them displays an average speed and the other the actual speed of the car. Obviously it's the latter you need.

The units on the MFD can be changed by going into the MFD menu (by pressing the "right" button on the right side of your steering wheel) while the car is stationary, scrolling down to "Units" and then changing it appropriately. There's also an option called "Alt. speed disp.", which allows you to have the speed displayed at all times in the MFDs lower right corner, albeit in rather small font.

Notice however, that any changes to the units will only affect the digital/MFD display, and not the analog speedometer. So, when then arm on that will point to like 80 (and you've a European model with km/h label on it), it will mean you're actually driving 50 mph (=80 km/h), regardless of you having changed the units on the digital display from km/h to mph.
Thank you for offering this information.

There is indeed a "Speed" screen on the MFD. But both selection 1 and 2 on my Touareg are clearable averages. I'm guessing a "from start" and "long-term" average respectively. The only digital read out of speed (which is in Km/h) remains in the bottom right screen under the speedometer along with odometer.

As for changing the units, I do not have the option to change km/h to mph in the menu. I can change mpg to kpg for fuel mileage and F to C for temperature but nothing for speed. And there is also no option for "alt. speed disp."

I posted this thread in the Vag-Com section because I figured it would be a programming fix.

·
Registered
658 Posts
If you don't have the Alt. option in the MFI, then you have to recode your Instrument Cluster control module's country code to Europe. Then you should have this option. Also, if you set the country code to US or UK, all your units should charge accordingly (however, you'll still be able to change back to kms in the MFI Units menu, as described previously).

I'm not sure about the US country setting, but the UK setting definitely hides the Alt. speed display setting. The country settings might also affect other behavior , like the warnings (chimes) for seatbelts when turning the ignition on.

And of course don't forget to write down your original coding value, so you'll be able to restore it to whatever is was, in case something goes wrong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
MFI digital speed display

2008 Toaureg; purchased used. There is no section in the main MFD that displays speed. The only digital speed read out is in the bottom right of the dash console read-out in KM/H. What is the procedure to change to MPH and possibly move into main MFD?
Hi Friend! I was just looking for a solution for this problem myself. I posted a topic under the mobile electronics section. Did you make any progress on this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts