Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have been having an issue with my memory seats. When I first got the vehicle, when I would shut off the ignition, the drivers seat would return to a relaxed position (all the way down and back). Typical for any "luxury" vehicle now a days. As soon as I set my seat memory I lost this functionality. When I reported it to my dealer, they said it was a software problem and they were waiting for the upgrade. Great!. So the upgrade came in and sure enough when I got the vehicle back when I tuned off the ignition the seat would return to the relaxed position. As soon as I set the seat memory again it stopped working. AUGH!!!. So I called the dealer again and they said to bring it in and they would look at it. The service advisor tells me that this is not an option with my vehicle. When I explained that it was working twice before, the mechanic (who was listening to the conversation) piped in and said that no it never worked and that it was impossible. Basically he just said I was lying, so my wife steps in and explains, that indeed it did work and now it is not. He said he would check with the tech line, however they are on vacation for the next week (the entire department)???? I called around to two other dealers and they assured me that it is supposed to do this. My question is, has anyone else had this problem?

· Registered
93 Posts
Check the steering column, left side. There's a small round button, that's supposed to set whether the seats go back, etc. I've found that mine sometimes must get bumped---the seats don't move or reset on entry. I press the button mentioned and it all works again. (In truth don't know if I've bumped the button or it just loses the setting, but every time I "reset" it, it works.)

· Registered
81 Posts
Are you talking about auto return to the last position with the driver seat or returning to your personally programmed postion using the memory buttons because these are two different things. You can have the memory seat feature that should allow you to customize your personal seat setting for up to 3 people and not have the auto return feature on the vehicle. Like vinnylv and spock mentioned, in the premium package, there are controls on the side of the steering wheel colum that move the steering wheel up and down and back and forth, in addition to a auto return button. So when you put the key in the ignition and close the door the steering wheel and driver seat should position itself back to the last position before the vehicle was turned off. If you don't have the controls on the side of the steering wheel, then you don't have the auto return feature. But if your seats are programmed with the memory seat feature, that dosen't explain why your seats don't go into the postion that you have programmed. Are you programming your seats with the vehicle on? That may be the problem. Just my $2 dollars worth. Spock correct me where I need it.

Joe

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O.K. Here it is...I do not have a power adjust steering wheel. The seat memory buttons work and they work with thier individual keys (no issue there). What does not work is the auto return. You mentioned that my car does not have this option, however, both when I picked up the vehicle and after they did the software upgrade the auto return did work (until I set the seat memory). Should it not have done this?

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
ottawabrad said:
Ummm...yeah...I have memory seats (hense the entire topic)... ;-)
Sorry, I figured out why you don't have the button on the side of the steering column. This is only on V8 models with Premium Plus or Convenience package. It is part of the "memory II" feature that includes memory for the passenger seat, steering column and safety belts.

I can't answer your first question with 100% confidence. Frankly, I would have agreed with the dealer, it isn't on your car. Perhaps the seat programming is such that prior to the customer programming the seat, it takes a relaxed position so that the workers accessing the car do not have to move the seat back and forth too much. Then during normal PDI, the dealer is supposed to check the memory function and the customer normally never notices their seat moved all the way back.

· Registered
81 Posts
The auto return is a feature that is found with the premium package. If you don't have the button on the left side of the steering colum, you don't have auto return. I don't know why your seats returned to the last postion as you mentioned. Seems like they psyched you out! :confused2:
If I am wrong, someone please chime in.

Joe

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now I'm p/o'd at the dealer...it was sold to me with that being a feature...of course it was thier first one on the lot. No excuse for not knowing the product though....

Also looks like the service advisor didn't know what he was talking about (three times) requesting that I come in and have it fixed (and that the software update will fix the issue). The only one that was right, it appears, was the mechanic. :-/

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied...now if I could just get that darn transmission fixed properly...well...back in the shop again on Friday...another loaner, etc, etc, etc.

· Registered
81 Posts
Stay on this web site, listen to Spock and others and you will end up knowing more than the dealer rep. A few weeks after I owned mine, I went back and showed a few of the reps some features that I learned. These were things that a good rep should have known.

By-the-way, I will be feeling your pain on Friday as I sit there for another agonizing day waiting for the Treg to be fixed. My dealer won't give me a loaner, but my rep has been nice enough to drive me around. Maybe I should send them a bill for all my sales that I am losing by sitting in there dealership.

Still love the Treg though! :giggle:

Joe

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi i am new in this forum, i purchased my Tauareg in Costa Rica, i need urgently a second ignition key, how can i get the second key, the dealer here sold the used tauareg only with one key, he told they took it in trade in and it is very usual here. he is telling me he could get one in from mexico VW but it will cost me 500$, i think the dealer lives in a different planet then me. Pleaase help.

Goki

· Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
Hi i am new in this forum, i purchased my Tauareg in Costa Rica, i need urgently a second ignition key, how can i get the second key, the dealer here sold the used tauareg only with one key, he told they took it in trade in and it is very usual here. he is telling me he could get one in from mexico VW but it will cost me 500$, i think the dealer lives in a different planet then me. Pleaase help.

Goki
Try Ebay.

· Registered
18 Posts
I would suggest not purchasing on eBay... a lot of dealers won't cut a key, or program the immobilizer on a key that isn't purchased from the VW dealer... I did some extensive research... called a bunch of locksmiths... every one of them said you have to go to the dealer... I mentioned to the dealer that I can get one on eBay for a fraction of the their cost... they wouldn't cut or program a blank purchased somewhere else... on the positive side, they discounted the cost of the key from $186 to $140... the programming was still $125.
The key comes precut from the factory when they order it...
Just my experience...

· Registered
2 Posts
First off, only the hybrid has the ele steering column adjustment and i suspect that is the confusion. The exec tdi does not have it but does have the memory seats. I know this because it was on the hybrid i test drove and not in the tdi i drove, when i called to say they didnt give me all the features, they showed me it wasnt an option on the tdi. Same with the rear sunshades.

And the problem is two fold. First, the key fob doesnt go back to the main memory position, the last position, or a predictable position. Everytime i get in the car i have to push my memory button and all three memory positions are set the same. Second, I've had both the drivers seat AND the passenger seat lay all the way back on their own after I lock the car. Even when no one is sitting in the passenger seat.

So i took it to the dealer and the service tec watched it happen, and verified that it did happen, and was unrelated to getting in and out of the car. He said he has seen it in other touaregs and that they had replaced the memory module. So after I had to prove to them that they were required to give me a replacement car by giving them a copy from their own service update.... I left comfident it would be fixed. When i went to pick it up, they told me because the service computer log didnt show the fault, VW would not replace the memory module. Are you kidding me right now? He assured me he wasnt and that it was their policy to not repair it if the computer didnt show the fault. So i told him to repair the module that tracks the fault because he personally saw it fail.

I made him put notes in the service record that he witnessed the fault and that it didnt record it and now i have to keep a log of the date and time of the fault. Basically every day i put same fault.

So far no fix. Service sucks. I've owned 7 Lexus and this is more expensive than both the rx models i had. They assured me their service was comperable. It isnt. Love the car, hate the service. I should have just gotten the gx.

· Registered
2 Posts
If they wont fix something they see is wrong and have had to replace in the past, what things are they not fixing that I don't even know about? I paid good money for a car that I want to perform correctly and reliably, I trust the dealership to do that especially when it is under warranty. I've lost faith in VW to service it correctly. No I don't hate it that much, I actually prefer it to the RX. Honestly, for a person that doesn't have an auto repair background, nor time to fight to get something repaired, trust in the reliability becomes very important. If the price and features are comparable, the service experience has a huge decision impact. Not all of us have the skill set or understanding to drive VW to service it correctly and have to put our faith in the service department to do the right thing. Unfortunately they have shown me that my faith in them was misplaced.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.