Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where else to put this so I'm putting it here.

There are at least three different MDI cables that work with Apple devices & the RNS-850 in the T3/T4. But some cables don't offer full functionality including displaying the album artwork & iTunes Tagging. This thread is a place for users to share what they know about these ******* MDI cables.

• VW P/N 000-051-446-J, has the old-style wide Apple connector and a PURPLE collar around the MDI end. This cable does work with the RNS-850. It does support album artwork & claims to support iTunes Tagging. But if your iDevice has a Lightning connector you will need the Apple 30-pin to Lightning Adapter. That adapter may not fit your iDevice if it has a case.

• VW P/N 000-051-446-Q, has the new-style Lightning connector and a WHITE collar around the MDI end. This cable works with the RNS-850 but it does not display album artwork, and probably doesn't support iTunes Tagging. (This cable does not work at all with the Gen 1 Composition Media system found in 2015 Golfs etc.)

• VW P/N 5N0-035-554-H, has the new-style Lightning connector and a GREEN collar around the MDI end. This seems to be the latest-greatest version of the cable. It works with the RNS-850, including displaying album artwork and probably iTunes Tagging. (This cable also works 100% with the Gen 1 Composition Media system in 2015 Golfs etc.)
NOTE: I recently ordered the "GREEN" cable from Amazon, but received some other cable. The sealed bag with the cable inside was mislabeled. Beware if you try to order from Amazon.

I guess I should mention that my testing was done on MY 2015 Touareg & GTI, using an iPhone 6 running iOS 9.2. Also, a shout out to CT user Fincher who helped me navigate this MDI cable obstacle course.

Feel free to add what you know to this thread!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can officially confirm the "green collar" MDI cable does support iTunes Tagging. Too bad the RNS-850 still doesn't have the tagging feature.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
What about using a 30-pin to lighting adapter when using the purple 30-pin cable? I would think it should show album artwork.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Oh. So what is meant by 'tagging'? Is it saving a song you hear on SAT and have the info link to your phone? I've never understood it.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't understood "tagging" until a local HD station started including Artist & Track information with the music they play. Then I realized tagging works with SiriusXM too.

If the radio recognizes Artist/Track data, and the radio supports "tagging", it displays a "tag" button on the screen. If you like the song the station is playing you press the "tag" button. The radio keeps a list of the songs you've tagged.

When you connect your iPhone or iPod to the car, the list of tagged songs is automatically transferred from the radio to the iDevice. Or the tagging data is sent to the iDevice instantly if it's connected to the car when you press "tag".

Next time you connect the iDevice to your computer and run iTunes, a playlist called "Tagged" appears, containing that list of tagged songs. It matches them up with the tracks on the iTunes Store, where you can preview them or buy them, like any other song.

Even if you don't use an iDevice, the radio will store the list of your tagged songs for later review if you want.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
So tagging works on your other VWs?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Interesting. I'm gonna guess that this feature will never be available on the RNS-850.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting. I'm gonna guess that this feature will never be available on the RNS-850.
The Touareg & RNS-850 (at least in NA) has fallen way behind in terms of "modern" tech features. No VW Car-Net or App-Connect, no tagging, no Apple CarPlay, no Android Auto, no USB connection.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The lack of USB is really terrible. My Fiesta had two, for example. My wife's Focus has two.

These are econo-box Fords. Also, the connectors were in the console, not in the glove box. Both have cable pass-throughs for the lid. Proprietary connectors for such things would be forgivable in 2005 or 2006 vehicles, but its almost as bad as not having 12V connectors or Bluetooth nowadays.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
No question the RNS-850 is behind the times. Missing a few things. I do like the interface for the most part. Don't think we'll see anything better, or enhancements, until a model redesign.

·
Registered
848 Posts
At least with my 2016, the RNS-850 has some pretty serious bugs in it. The start up of it, I feel, is ridiculous. Takes way too long to boot. Sometimes will be stuck on a load screen for up to a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
At least with my 2016, the RNS-850 has some pretty serious bugs in it. The start up of it, I feel, is ridiculous. Takes way too long to boot. Sometimes will be stuck on a load screen for up to a minute. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, this is typical. I leave on an AM/FM station in lieu of SAT most of the time so the boot time is quicker. Isn't always slow but I would guess half the time. Doubt this will be addressed in an update.

·
Registered
848 Posts
We shall see. They are allegedly working on a fix for the voice command issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts