Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after parting with 5.0 Mustang with offroad exhaust on it, I felt the itch to proceed with some exhaust work for the Touareg. She is a 2005 V8. I first thought of doing the test pipes for the secondary cat/resonators, but after some rusty bolts, that is put on hold. The bolts were so deteriorated that there was no way of getting them off short of cutting the down side flange and hammering the bolts toward the top. Since I currently don't have the funds or the resources to properly and safely get them off I decided to put that on the back burner.

After a quick start up with the catback undone, my buddies thought it might be fun to do a quick muffler delete for a couple weeks then put a x-pipe and mufflers on. I can say that I dumped exhaust sn95 mustang is about a 6/10 noise wise, and the Touareg is about a 8/10 on my scale right now. This exhaust set up is alright for a fair weather S4, but for a daily highway cruiser/ripper, this is just plain nuts. With the tip shift, down shifting, is up there with the "wicked awesome" sounding cars. I still need to get a video of that as it was late tonight till I got around videoing with the Iphone. I am still on the fence if I want to go with borla stingers "s-type" to get some of the harsh tone out or go with a more conservative multi-chamber such as magnaflow XL.

muffler out

mock and tack

welders

piecing 2.5 in pipe from all sorts of projects, the exhaust flanges to ~2.5" going into the muffler, and then the tips around about 2.75", so we knocked out the 2.5" pipe to slip into the tips.

fresh black paint

The right exhaust pipe is about .75" offset toward the center, when the mid pipe gets work on it that will get adjusted so the angles on the mufflers are symmetric when they get put on. There is enough room to fit a 14-18" muffler depending on what style I go with.

Someone needs to buy the test pipes so my wife will allow recouped "fun money" for next month. :rolleyes:

Videos from iphone 4.
Short idle and rev video.

Highway windows up, with cruise control on, slight increase, then held button for hard throttle. Daily use type noise.

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
Thanks for sharing to start of with!

Definitely sounds very raw without the muffler on, I'll even call it "truckish" sounding.
By the sounds of things, as far as my taste is concerned anyways, I'd prefer some refinement on that rawness, whilst somehow still trying to maintain it, if that makes any sense at all, but I think you are on that same wavelength with me anyways by your writing. The Borla stingers would be an interesting approach, considering the secondary cat backs are still in place. You also mention the addition of an x-pipe in your introductory post. Does it not already have a H-pipe(not true X) in place? I posted a pic of the stock H-pipe on this forum somewhere before...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This does have the stock H-pipe, a x-pipe will definitely smooth out the sound especially if I do go with magnapacks or borla stingers. The best comparison is like a modular ford motor with a h or a x pipe with stingers... Very popular. I need to get some video of down shifting with this set up, definitely sounds like a s4 with off road exhaust.

Also wanted to note that the muffler a direct path from inlet to outlet with partial perforation before the 90 and full perforation after the 90 on exit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a comparison to a S4 with a x pipe with muffler delete and x pipe, and touareg with muffler delete and h-pipe.

Touareg

B6 S4

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I added a couple more videos on my youtube of driving around. Started to clean up the tips today, these definitely run pig rich. I really wish I would have listened to everyone had did it before the were welded on...lazy..:(

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
more videos of muffler delete to make this a one stop shop. In traffic this week, a guy yelled at me if I did a lsx motor swap... Found that amusing. Also with this set up it almost sounds like a new camaro with o/r exhaust or a boat.. I am planning on ordering these next Magnaflow x-pipe 10791 and magnapacks 10416.

If I decide money isn't an issue borla s-type "stingers" are on the table.
Food for thought, this is the noise that stingers can make.

·
Banned
7,167 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I ordered a tru x pipe and magnaflow magnapacks of the short variety pn-10416. I was talked into saving some on this project and for still being probably almost too loud, this will work. Hopefully I'll be making less noise by next weekend..

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nice use of the shoulder for a turn lane lol. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:cool:Thanks, we use it as a acceleration/deceleration/passing lane. There wasn't enough money for deceleration lanes, so 14' shoulders were spec'd. All the local roads are ruined with all the edge line rumble strips, if you couldn't tell...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well hopefully going to get some work done tomorrow, this rain in the northeast and lack of a open garage bay hasn't been working for me. This is what is going on..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah tell me about it... The running with a muffler delete and a automatic transmission was definitely getting old. I actually had a couple different panels start to vibrate to the point that they were audible when slowly driving on the highway ~55mph. I did have a lot of fun messing around with the sport mode on the transmission that has euro coding. I figured out the sweet spot of 'wicked' throttle blip on down shift, which is right over 2,000 rpms. Driving through downtown Harrisburg made for some fun drives to and from work hogging on it between lights and just listening to the echo. I think total I had 11 people yell from their car, 'what exhaust is that', 'that sounds crazy', or 'that is way to loud'. Time for some much needed refinement. lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've the "now usual" mangaflow muffler and 2nd-ary cat delete exhaust and the wife loves it. I'm pondering about putting in magnaflow's sleek x-over pipe to get rid of some of the raspy-ness - but the missus (of all people) is weary of the noise reduction :devillook:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I am really eager to see how the x-pipe makes this sound. This is a pretty good comparison video for various mid pipe designs for those that haven't stalked my youtube. I think with you're set up that a x-pipe would sound pretty good with those mufflers.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really need to turn off auto correct, I have a whole lot of grammar fail. lol

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got some work done today .... saving some more for next weekend. We only got the mufflers on today since we didn't have access to anything to expand the factory exhaust pipes to do the x pipe. It could have got done but rain passing over, starting cutting and filling big gaps later in the afternoon probably wouldn't have got me home for dinner:mad: Also I didn't get around to make a drive by since it was pretty windy today and the sound wouldn't have been that good. I will get the tips lined up with moving around when putting the x-pipe on or re do the hangers at the tips. I plan on truck bed coating the pipe and mufflers black, like how the pipe was before. Total sped on mufflers, x pipe and labor and beer has been ~$320, thats what friends are for. Here are some pictures and a quick video for reference.

pipe pieced together from a couple past projects=free

factory H-pipe for reference

This is what was getting worked on also today.. brother n laws street and strip cavalier..

Older pictures of his car

Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts