Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone offroaded in the Maze District of the Canyonlands, Utah?

My friend pulled a permit for May, so we are headed over there.

This information from the Utah site says:
http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/upload/maze_web.pdf

Four-wheel-drive roads in the Maze are ex
-
tremely difficult, present considerable risk of
vehicle damage, and should not be attempted
by inexperienced drivers. A high-clearance,
four-wheel-drive vehicle is
required
for all
Maze backcountry roads.
All the videos on Youtube don't look that bad at all, coming from 4 wheeling @ 9000ft in Colorado where I live. I have much more clearance then the Ford pickup in this video. :) Any input on the area?

Part 2

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have day tripped into areas of the Maze and most everything should be doable if you have air suspension. Like all 4wd roads in Utah some spots are more difficult then others and some are only doable with a modified vehicle. The only difference here is that it is more remote, less traveled and limited cell signal if any.

Be sure to take a 4wd trail book and Nat Geo map for the area, a gps, full size spare, and extra fuel and water depending how far you plan to go and stay. Top off tanks in Green River or Hanksville. Also may want a book on canyon hikes for the area as well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Be sure to take a 4wd trail book and Nat Geo map for the area, a gps, full size spare, and extra fuel and water depending how far you plan to go and stay. Top off tanks in Green River or Hanksville. Also may want a book on canyon hikes for the area as well.
Thanks for the input. We are trekking in for 4-5 days at the end of May. It will be my Touareg, a Sportmobile 4x4 van, and a Toyota pickup. I have everything you said I need and more. Actually looking for a metal skid plate to replace the plastic whatever they want to call it under my Touareg. That might or might not happen. The USA rep from Asfir in Israel is checking to see if theirs will work with the Lux Limited model. I know the Antec model won't work because it wraps around the lower front end which is different on my model.

Front skid plate diesel 05-10

My front end:

It seems like the Asfir will tuck behind the bumper:

Standard front end with Antec:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL. I plan on running 2 video cameras with car mounts and two digital SLR's. One on the Sportmobile looking back at me, One pointing forward on my roof, and one on a tripod to set up to get the hill climbs and descents.

I have the ability to live stream, but I doubt there will be any 3g/4g service.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright. I made it out of the Maze in one piece with only slight damage on the bottom edge in front of my rear drivers tire. I will take pictures of that after I wash it. This trip was pretty major rock crawling for me. I had two friends to help me through the rocks. I have lots of video and 1000's of pictures. I will start with these four pictures from our campsite for three days at "The Dollhouse".

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We only went halfway down to the river. I will work on pictures in the next couple days. I actually have dashboard HD footage of 90% of the drive, and two angles of a really hard section that I will make into a 5 minute clip.

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
So you are running 18" wheels off road? What brand and size of tire did you go with?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Impressive pics. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
nice pics.I also went to the dollhouse in june of 2012, in an 01 jeep cherokee,it was stock so it hit the bottom several times! that is a very knarly trail! I'm not sure I would take my touareg there for fear of damage, maybe with skid plates I would. What a beautiful area !would love to go again sometime but with a group, I was the only vehicle when i went, would be a bad place to break down! what way did you go? I came from hans flat down the flint trail and went back out to lake powell. anyway nice to see that you went there with your touareg as I just bought mine for travel to these kinds of places!:D

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts