Club Touareg Forum banner

421 - 436 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Trevor Sawyer & Steverwrx,

I can tell you this much. I have an ‘08 VR6 Base w/ steel suspension. I have no lift...just yet. And, I have a set of 17x7.5 +53s wrapped in 265/65 Toyo Open Country ATIIs that work out to about 30.5 in over all diameter. I have zero rub. But, just by the skinny, skin, skin of my teeth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2010 TDi with air suspension and the 19" Terra wheels. I quickly found out (like everyone here) that tire choices at 19" SUCK. So my question, and I apologize if I missed it somewhere in the thread, is this: Will a 255/55/19 fit my Treg without major issue? I have found a set of 17" Canyons for a decent price and I am not entirely opposed to going that route but I do so love my current wheels...
Anyway, frustrated with all this and hoping for some insight, Thanks...

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
122 Posts
I have a 2010 TDi with air suspension and the 19" Terra wheels. I quickly found out (like everyone here) that tire choices at 19" SUCK. So my question, and I apologize if I missed it somewhere in the thread, is this: Will a 255/55/19 fit my Treg without major issue? I have found a set of 17" Canyons for a decent price and I am not entirely opposed to going that route but I do so love my current wheels...
Anyway, frustrated with all this and hoping for some insight, Thanks...
It will fit without any issue. The maximum tire size that would fit in a Touareg without rubbing, modification or spacers is 31.5". 255/55/19 is just 30", so yes it will fit. I would suggest either 275/55/19 or 255/60/19 tire size for more sidewall to protect your wheels a bit more. They both have the same height and same sidewall number. One is just wider.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It will fit without any issue. The maximum tire size that would fit in a Touareg without rubbing, modification or spacers is 31.5". 255/55/19 is just 30", so yes it will fit. I would suggest either 275/55/19 or 255/60/19 tire size for more sidewall to protect your wheels a bit more. They both have the same height and same sidewall number. One is just wider.
Excellent, thank you sir! I’ll post what I end up going with 👍🏼

·
Registered
5 Posts
265/60/18 cooper discovery AT +53ET
2008 v8.
About an inch clearance on the inside. Probably as big as I'd want to go with factory setup.

Loadheight:

Normal (auto height)

Offroad height:

Extra height:

·
Registered
2010 TDI w/ air
74 Posts
Just wanted to post this up because it's a size that doesn't get used a lot around here. I'm going bigger eventually, but I got a good deal on this setup from a friend, and it looks great for now. 285/60R18, roughly 31.5" diameter.
2010 TDI with air suspension, stock/auto height, currently. 1" spacers out back, 15mm in front maybe?
They rub the intercooler vents/fender liners when turning but not bad enough to care right now and I'm comfortable driving it as is.

Untitled by Pat, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
2010 VW Touareg TDI V6 - W/ Air
30 Posts
Hey Pat, did the spacer help the rubbing or make it worse? I have a 2010 TDI that i just put 31.6" tires on and have issues with rubbing and not sure what i can do at this point to get more room. Id like to be able to use normal and sport mode hight without rubbing. I was told by the tire shop I got them from that spacers would actually make it worse. Im about to make a full post in this tread with photos and such as well to see if anyone else came up with an easy solution.

Just wanted to post this up because it's a size that doesn't get used a lot around here. I'm going bigger eventually, but I got a good deal on this setup from a friend, and it looks great for now. 285/60R18, roughly 31.5" diameter.
2010 TDI with air suspension, stock/auto height, currently. 1" spacers out back, 15mm in front maybe?
They rub the intercooler vents/fender liners when turning but not bad enough to care right now and I'm comfortable driving it as is.

·
Premium Member
2010 VW Touareg TDI V6 - W/ Air
30 Posts
Hello all, I have a 2010 V6 TDI that i just put on some BFG KO2 that are 265/70R17, 31.6" diameter. I has slight rubbing and decided to cut off as much plastic as i felt comfortable. It wasn't much, but gave me an extra 1/2 maybe. It solved the problem with rubbing o the passenger side, but still a little on the driver for some reason. I would like to be able to drive in "sport" hight without rubbing as well, so try to figure out the best solution. I believe i have narrowed it down to 3 options to sold the problem.

1. Move intercooler to behind front bumper.
I saw someone of a FB group mention this.

2. Get a small lift (My favorite option)
Is there a lift option for 2-3" with air suspension?

3. Wheel Spacers? Probably the easiest and cheapest option?)
I was told by the tire shop i bought them form that spacers would make it ever worse, which i never thought was possible. After seeing the tire fully turned in though i could see how it would essentially push it into the wheel well more.

So, has anyone done any of these and/or would record a certain one. If so, please share cost. I would love to just get a little lift and call it a day, but have concerns about how much that would cost.
IMG_7551.jpg

IMG_7552.jpg
IMG_7553.jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
IMG_7543.jpg

IMG_7549.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

·
Registered
2010 TDI w/ air
74 Posts
Hey Pat, did the spacer help the rubbing or make it worse? I have a 2010 TDI that i just put 31.6" tires on and have issues with rubbing and not sure what i can do at this point to get more room. Id like to be able to use normal and sport mode hight without rubbing. I was told by the tire shop I got them from that spacers would actually make it worse. Im about to make a full post in this tread with photos and such as well to see if anyone else came up with an easy solution.
The direct answer to your question and the solution on the TDIs is to swing the bottom of the intercoolers forward and either reshape the vents/fender liner, or cut that section out and put mesh in place of the vents to still allow airflow and protection for the intercoolers.
See this thread about a V10 on 33s for a more extreme case, but the point stands.

Wheel spacers don't help rubbing. They only help with upper ball joint clearance... and looking more aggressive. I've been down this road before and I simply don't care about rubbing and beating up fender liners. In fact, my plan is to later make 33s (possibly 34s, but I've yet to figure that out) fit at stock/auto height.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Guys,

Shok Here....Just wanted to report I have a 2010 v6 tdi with steel spring suspension. I just put on Falken Wild Peak AT Trails at 255/60/R19 with zero rubbing after 300 miles. 31.1" diameter. I have just over one finger space between the top bolt and the inside edge of the tire.

as an aside - These tires our awesome....nice sidewalls, virtually no road noise, The grip the road and corner well, and the tread pattern is aggressive enough for mud and snow. From the research I have done they perform far better then the current Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventures, and all for just $160 per tire.

I know there has been some debate on this thread regarding this size tire fitting with a v6 tdi. Just wanted to let you know this tire is good to go to add to the tire spreadsheet. Thank you by the way that sheet helped me a lot. This is my everday driver wheel set.

This is my 4th Touareg, I've owned the v6 petrol, the v8 petrol, and the v10 diesel. I have to say this is my favorite of the four by far. the 3.0 V6 Tdi is a beast of a machine and I am getting mid 24's for gas mileage. I have logged a ton of offroad time on these Tregs, both overland and rock crawling all over northern and central california. My jeep buddies are blown away at what these machines can handle. In the Tregs with air suspension I have been able to go anywhere and everywhere a jeep Rubicon can go. I am hoping the same will be true with my newest steel string version, 31's, and a 2.5 inch lift.

Next I am going to get a 2.5 inch spacer lift and then go with a second set of 18 inch rims with maximum allowable tires for that increase in sidewall height when offroading. I also plan to add a top rack, a trailer hitch spare tire holder, and possibly some off road lights.

I'd love to hear from others about their experiences with the work I plan to do to my treg and how your choices have fared?

Here's to sunsets over happy trails !

Shok

·
Registered
2010 Touareg TDI
6 Posts
So I just bought a 2010 TDI with air suspension this past Saturday. Yesterday I found a deal on Cayenne wheels and Nitto Grappler 265/65/18's and put them on. No rubbing at all. Even in sport mode. Happy camper.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
yeah that was where i was going to get mine until i went for a TDI

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
ha !! just noticed ... you are flying the NZ flag... that it explains everything... at first i thought you were in Oz and had a T2 V8

421 - 436 of 436 Posts