Club Touareg Forum banner

361 - 380 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am thinking of putting 285/50/r20 Radar Renegade RT+ on my 20x9J Ayers Rock alloys 60mm offset.

I think I am gonna need 10mm spacers to get this. Does anyone know if I will have issues with the tyres being outside the arches, or if I can get away with smaller spacers?

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am thinking of putting 285/50/r20 Radar Renegade RT+ on my 20x9J Ayers Rock alloys 60mm offset.

I think I am gonna need 10mm spacers to get this. Does anyone know if I will have issues with the tyres being outside the arches, or if I can get away with smaller spacers?

Thanks
No you are not going to have any issues. To avoid rubbing, 10mm spacers is the smallest size you can use. I have 285/50/20 Michelin Latitude Tour HP on 60mm offset wheels on my 05 with air with 10mm spacers on. The 10mm spacers is really unnoticeable. No one would tell you have spacers on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So got the new tyres fitted. Radar Renegade RT+ 285/50/R20

All I can say is they fit, just! With 10mm spacers. If you want to go with this size be very careful what type of tyre you pick. These ones are 'rough terrain' rather than all terrain so are chuckier than an AT but not as chunky as an MT. These ones clear the upper wishbone bolt by a matter of millimeters!!! I lucked out.

I will attach pics when I am a pc.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Whoa! that's really close. 10 is the smallest you can go. And just to correct myself up there, I have 12mm on mine and not 10 and I have no idea why I said 10 and again it is unnoticeable. I would advise to go with 12 to avoid complication and have more clearance. That might not seem like much. You could even put 15mm

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think 15mm would be too much, the front are already starting to protrude out of the arches. I would have got 12mm if I could find them. At moment there doesn't appear to be any issues with rubbing. But I guess time will tell. I need to get them re balanced though. The garage has done a crap job, claiming their machine can't handle the tyres.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
See if you can find someone with Hunter balancing equipment which can also do "road force". It's a bit more expensive than normal but it is worth it.

Get all 4 wheels done but do NOT refit them to the car until after all 4 have been balanced.

Then pick the best two - lowest weights and least run off/buckling - for the front.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think 15mm would be too much, the front are already starting to protrude out of the arches. I would have got 12mm if I could find them. At moment there doesn't appear to be any issues with rubbing. But I guess time will tell. I need to get them re balanced though. The garage has done a crap job, claiming their machine can't handle the tyres.

Hahahah I got 15mm. I see some 12mm on Ebay and Amazon but I don't know if they ship worldwide.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think if I had stuck with 'road' tyres I would be OK with 15mm, that being said, if I had done that 10mm would have been fine. But as these are rough terrain they are tad chunky. At the moment there is no rubbing, but I don't know how much that gap between the tyre and the bolt changes, if at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah, I understand. You should be able to put your hands in the wheel arch and place your index finger between the tires and the bolt; I can do that on mine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah that's a whole lot more space than i have, I must have literally 1-2mm of clearance with the tyres I have, they must be slightly over the stated size I think. Still keeping a close eye on it, and may move to 12mm spacers in the next month or so when I get the money together to have the wheels refurbished.

But, so far at least, I havent ripped any chucks off the Touareg or the tyre so that good! :grin2:

I wonder if yours has so much more clearance because you have air suspension, where as I have springs.?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think it should be the same clearance but I don't know much about the clearance level of Touaregs with air suspension vs springs? I drive mostly on default height which is level 3 on the instrumental cluster display. I think steel spring suspension has 8.3 inches of ground clearance. It should be about the same ground clearance if the air height is on default preference.

361 - 380 of 398 Posts
About this Discussion
397 Replies
154 Participants
Touareg slo
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing