Club Touareg Forum banner

301 - 320 of 398 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
Yeah, I got to watch about 5 mins or so of the first trail they got off on but it was pretty chop.
That was due to signal going away. Arkarch is running an amplified antenna, but that will only go so far when the signal goes away.

·
Senior Trex-Tamer
312 Posts
Yep, it was great while they were in town and through the first tunnel I got to hear all the commentary Arkarch was going through as well as the radio chatter, I'm amazed it was all coming through so cleanly.

Really pretty cool, still regretting I couldn't make it out. I'm going to have to quit watching the feed before I try a romp through the woods locally lol.

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
I wanted to go as well, but since I have been laid off since May I did not want to spend the money on fuel to go down even though I only filled up twice while there. TDI is so much better for that trip then gas. :)

·
Senior Trex-Tamer
312 Posts
I wanted to go as well, but since I have been laid off since May I did not want to spend the money on fuel to go down even though I only filled up twice while there. TDI is so much better for that trip then gas. :)
:(Don't remind me... my tank of a treg only gets 15mpg...

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
I am doing 21-22 with mixed around town driving. I don't do any real highway driving, but will find out soon what it will do at the end of the week when I head to PA. Schubie has told me he was doing about 600 miles on a tank and 23-29 mpg when he traveled to the Rally from NY last year. I am expecting the same or a little better since I will not have really anything with me other then my spare and luggage.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Some of us are in Silverton at Handlebars for a bite. The rest returned to Ouray. Raining pretty good now but the weather held well for most of the day.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Back in town.

From the webcam control point of view, we had coverage up to near the first compost restroom on Corkscrew. A few spotty points at the peaks but we were finding those areas crowded and could not stop. Coverage resumed as we passed Sunnyside Mill heading back toward Silverton. It appears coverage maintained all the way up 550 back to Ouray.

Not sure where we are headed on Tuesday. Weather plays a significant part in that choice - but most likely west to the Camp Bird trails. If Yankee Boy, there is little chance getting that far down the canyon. If Imogene, past experience shows we should be able to get good connection from near the top and definitely into Telluride. Yes, plan is afoot to go all the way down that side.

On Wednesday, Rickanns will be giving a tour of the Red Mountain district. Based on today's coverage. I think we can cover that tour very well by webcam. Its all mostly in areas that seem to work for us.

·
My God,it's full of stars
5,765 Posts
Great coverage! BTW who's the person with the tire carrier? Need to ping him some questions. Thanx

siberian

·
Registered
68 Posts
siberian

There are 4 hitch tire carries at the rally. 2 of them are out of production., the other 2 are by CBI offroad Cbioffroadfab. schubie has the custom setup(see his thread on it) and I have their basic model that I picked up on the way to the rally. They all seem to do the job.

Bruce

·
5,765 Posts
Thanx for the info Bruce. Question:

Do you find that the carrier moves around? Obviously as if it has to slide into the receiver there is some play. Did any of you order the anti-sway sleeve to prevent this? How much did they charge you for shipping?

Have fun and thanx for the help

siberian

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Thanx for the info Bruce. Question:

Do you find that the carrier moves around? Obviously as if it has to slide into the receiver there is some play. Did any of you order the anti-sway sleeve to prevent this? How much did they charge you for shipping?

Have fun and thanx for the help

siberian
Rickanns and I have the Bonarue - the company that appears to be out of business. I got mine a few months ago - new in box - through a private party who never used it.

As to the carrier movement, the Bonarue has a bolted plate that tightens against the carrier. One other nice feature of the Bonarue is that it can be unlatched to tilt outward, giving clear access to the hatch. I have not taken a close look at the CBI to know if that works the same way or is simply further out.

·
5,765 Posts
I ordered the sway preventer (for want of a better word) as the basket I have is just the pits. If I need it for the tire carrier I'll have it if not even better. Now I shudder to think what they'll charge me for shipping...

Thanx again, and sounds like a rally is due in AK next year! Course it can't impact fishing season (or just be a fishing rally - that would work!)

siberian

·
Senior Trex-Tamer
312 Posts
Thanx again, and sounds like a rally is due in AK next year! Course it can't impact fishing season (or just be a fishing rally - that would work!)

siberian
I'm game, but you may have to put up with me for an extra week if I'm going to come that far, I'm making a vacation out of it not just a trip! :p

·
Senior Trex-Tamer
312 Posts
As long as it's not under the path of one of the faulty jets losing o2 to the pilots, but close enough that I can still yell "BEAR!" I think we'll be ok. ;)

·
5,765 Posts
It took several months to even find where the pilot's body was let alone the plane. The number of pilots (and we have the highest number per capita I guess in the world) who simply vanished into crevasses or ... is vast. So we have space... :)

siberian

·
Senior Trex-Tamer
312 Posts
Sounds like I need to look into a GPS anklet lolol...

301 - 320 of 398 Posts