Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The snow is flying; Temperatures are really frigid; Winter will rage for the next couple of months; What better time to plan a summer rally in the mountains!

As many of you know, in 2005, a group of 8 Touareg friends who met on this forum and VWVortex got together in Lake City/Ouray, Colorado. The group ran mountain trails, shared great family comraderie, and enjoyed the beautiful San Juan mountain scenery. While missing 2009, the rally has convened each July and has grown to as many as 20 Touaregs. While most are from Colorado and Texas, participants have ranged from Washington to Long Island, from San Diego to Florida, and from San Jose to North Carolina. Families with young children, old fogeys like us, as well single adults have attended. The youngest as been less than a year and our eldest has been 95.

The 2011 Colorado Touareg 4x4 Rally will get together in Ouray on Sunday, July 24, 2011, with a Meet and Greet afternoon event. The general plan is to run mountain trails on Monday and Tuesday, enjoy Wednesday as an off day for families to take advantage of other activities in the area (as example, The Durango-Silverton Narrow Guage Railroad), then run trails on Thursday and Friday. Folks are invited to join all the week or any part of the rally.

No off-road experience is necessary for the event as there will be plenty of experienced off-roaders to help on the trails. The trails will begin with easier roads with some pretty challenging tracks coming later in the week.
This is an excellent opportunity to learn your Touareg's capabilities and expand your off-road abilities. This is not a macho, chest thumping, competitive event. Women and teens will also be driving.

You will be required to equip your Touareg with a full-sized spare tire and wheel and certain other off-road safety items, but more on that will come later.

Accommodations in Ouray are widely varied. Some participants will rent houses, cabins, or condos for the week. Others will stay in a large range of hotels or motels. There are also nice RV parks available. Camping is also available, although camping in the summer afternoon rains for a week may be a bit trying.

A starting point for vacation housing may be:

Ouray City, Ouray County, and Ridgway, Real Estate and Vacation Rentals - Ouray Realty & Investment and Ouray Rentals, Inc.

I think many would agree that the Colorado Touareg 4x4 Rally can be one of the most enjoyable, adventurous, educational, historic, and scenic vacations that is available.

So, get your calendars out and mark down the week of July 24th thru 29th for the rally, then get your road atlas out and mark out a route to Ouray, Colorado.

This is not a formal event....there is no fee or charge....and is only a gathering of friends. We will ask you to register later on so that we will know who and how many are coming.

Feel free to ask any questions, make any comments, or PM me.

See you in Ouray...

Rick

·
Registered
119 Posts
Awesome! I just discovered this forum a few months ago, and after viewing pictures from some of the previous CO Rallies, I've been eagerly anticipating the next one. I have some wheeling experience (mostly in the Southeast) with my TJ and a previously owned Unimog 404, but I've never made it to CO. It's one of the most beautiful states in the lower 48, I don't know why I didn't get around to it sooner.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I really want to say, "IN", but the 24th is my wife's birthday and she might prefer to be surrounded by her children (four of them, 22-16 years old), rather than a bunch of rough and tough, Colorado mountain adventurers. I will have to check with the boss.

Maybe the wife and I could drive over after a BDay Party. We'll see and let you know.

But, I can put a good word in for the area. I also ride Adventure Bikes and three times, this area of the San Juan Mountains has been the host location for Gatherings. The roads to Lake City and to Telluride are phenomenal. Its kind of like explaining the Grand Canyon to someone who has never been there. There is a reason this area is called, "The Alps of the US."

Don't miss this rally.....do your best to attend.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, mark your calendar VooDoo. You'll be our first Kentuckian. we will certainly add a little more vertical to your driving. Keep watching this thread for further info

Rick

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really want to say, "IN", but the 24th is my wife's birthday and she might prefer to be surrounded by her children (four of them, 22-16 years old), rather than a bunch of rough and tough, Colorado mountain adventurers. I will have to check with the boss.

Maybe the wife and I could drive over after a BDay Party. We'll see and let you know.

But, I can put a good word in for the area. I also ride Adventure Bikes and three times, this area of the San Juan Mountains has been the host location for Gatherings. The roads to Lake City and to Telluride are phenomenal. Its kind of like explaining the Grand Canyon to someone who has never been there. There is a reason this area is called, "The Alps of the US."

Don't miss this rally.....do your best to attend.
I understand about being with the kids....but we ae hardly rough and tough. Lots of families, good food, good spirits, good trails, even an occasional good cigar. C'mon over on Monday a spend the rest of the week with us in any event

rick

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
As Rick said, come monday and play! This is a come as you can event. While we prefer you to be with out group all week, many arrive late and leave early as their schedule allows. Either way, come be part of this fantastic family event!

·
Registered
52 Posts
As Rick said, come monday and play! This is a come as you can event. While we prefer you to be with out group all week, many arrive late and leave early as their schedule allows. Either way, come be part of this fantastic family event!

Yeah, we'll figure something out. I just don't miss opportunities to ride or drive in this area.

Here are a couple of pics to help entice.

I bet some of you can identify these jeep trails..??

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I'll bite....

1. Looks like the road up to Yankee Boy Basin before you get to Camp Bird?

The 2 passes are obvious.....obviously

4. Looks a lot like Corkscrew Gulch....probably within a couple of hundred yards of the Silverton Railroad turntable right across the gulch?

5. The roads in the lower left also remind me of Corkscrew Gulch but after the switchbacks at the top.

Arkarch is the best I have seen at identifying these type places....He picked out Black Bear road on the Jeep commercial and the Gladstone location of Shawn White's secret half pipe.

What do you say, Karl?

Rick

·
Registered
394 Posts
I purchased off road tires just for things like this.

Count me and the Mrs. IN.

Those of you who are planning to rent a home, if there are any spaces available for a young couple 25yrs old. Im an engineer, she is a doctoral student. We are house broken and keep a clean home. of course willing to pay our fair share.

Will there be opportunities for mountain biking?

Im looking forward to this!

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Plenty of time to figure out the housing situation. Some of us rent multi bedroom houses and split the cost, others do the hotel thing. As for biking, LOT of opportunities. If the Mrs. is into driving, she can always drop you off at the top of any pass for a fantastic ride down. Cheating, I know. ;)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome ENGINEer

We are always happy to add another Texan to the group. We are biased, but we think you are in for one of those "times of your life". Lots of water has to go under the bridge before next summer, so there is plenty of time to plan.

I just noticed your new thread on off-roading impressions. Good to see you unafraid of some mud and raising a wheel. We will show you some good places for that in Ouray. I am also glad to see you are in the "When in doubt, GAS it" philosophy although everything has to have good judgement.

You will need a full size spare and wheel for our rally as I did not see one in your pix.

Rick

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I hope someone brings their 2011 along so we can get a head to head impression of the off-roadability
Patience my friend.... patience.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Working some logistics out right now... so can't say for sure yet.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nope... I snoozed :( I'm still trying via certified and used, but '10s with air are hard to find. Did you score one?

1 - 20 of 398 Posts