Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2009 VW Touareg TDI
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reinstalled my ECM with the Malone Stage 2 loaded. Deleted EGR functions and such as well. The power gain is so smooth. It's almost a little anticlimactic. My Jetta with 1019 nozzles and 11mm pump, but without a tune will push you into the seats when accelerating. The Touareg just gives a grunt and pulls away. Definitely need to keep my wife off the throttle though. Very pleased so far.

·
Registered
2009 VW Touareg TDI
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
09-10's need to be bench flashed. I sent my ECU to tunemyeuro.com. They were super quick too. 5 days from removal to install with shipping. The EGR delete really smoothed things out. I had a lot of flutter in the valve that you could feel specifically during acceleration. I'm really hoping to get some mileage improvement, but that skinny pedal just feels nice to push hard!

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Did you purchase or rent the flash tool?
How about the dynamic EGR option? Sounds like a blast!
No such thing as dynamic EGR on the 3.0

09-10's need to be bench flashed. I sent my ECU to tunemyeuro.com. They were super quick too. 5 days from removal to install with shipping. The EGR delete really smoothed things out. I had a lot of flutter in the valve that you could feel specifically during acceleration. I'm really hoping to get some mileage improvement, but that skinny pedal just feels nice to push hard!
Make sure to physically delete the EGR or you haven't diminished your potential for catastrophe one bit.

Reactions: PRY4SNO

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Totally understood. I removed the whole unit with the flash.
A popular question on here to ask is which delete kit you used? Coolant bypass?

·
Registered
2009 VW Touareg TDI
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point. I luckily have a mill and a lathe, so I made my own block off plates, adapter where the coolant hooks to the top of the block, and welded up a Y-pipe to connect the larger hoses.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Good point. I luckily have a mill and a lathe, so I made my own block off plates, adapter where the coolant hooks to the top of the block, and welded up a Y-pipe to connect the larger hoses.
That's awesome good work doing it right👍

·
Registered
2013 Touareg TDI Execline
103 Posts
Is it too much to ask if you have any pics from that process?

·
Registered
2009 VW Touareg TDI
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do not have any pictures while I was working on it. However, I did go back and take some that will hopefully explain it.

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive battery Vehicle Auto part

First, drain the coolant. Then everything circled in pink need to be removed. Turbo heat shield, intake flap actuators, the two solid coolant pipes running to the EGR and the EGR valve, not pictured. The flap actuators are above the coolant pipes, and while the passenger side could probably be moved without removing the actuator, it certainly made it easier. The driver side actuator needs to be removed to get the third coolant pipe enough room to swing clear of the EGR cooler to remove it. Additionally, remove the downpipe mounting bolt. This'll let you remove the downpipe from the turbo and swing it out of the way to get to the two pipes from the manifold to the turbo/EGR. I also had to remove the manifold-turbo pipe to get the manifold-EGR pipe off. Once you have everything disconnected and out of the way, the EGR cooler is only 4 bolts, 2 left/2 right. I unbolted the oil filter assembly to allow enough wiggle room to get the cooler out, but did not remove it.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Gas Sculpture
Tool Bicycle part Gas Auto part Machine

These are the 5 coolant connections that must be rerouted once the EGR cooler is removed. 2 on top, 3 on the bottom. I checked the flow through the cooler with compressed air to double check it before I started making the new connections.
Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Gas Electric blue

The Y-pipe was just some random pipe I had laying around the garage. 5/8" OD, .049" thickness. Simple cut/bend/weld.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive wheel system Gas

The green connection is definitely the trickiest, though not very tough. It is an O-ring plus that is held in place by the EGR cooler bolts. I machined a simple fitting/hose barb out of brass to fit in it's place. I didn't take any picture of it, but it looks like it sounds. Then I cut some aluminum angle to hold it in place, using the EGR cooler bolt holes.

Reassembly was the same as disassembly, minus the cooler obviously. I know I've missed stuff, but that's the gist. Ask away.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Looks great, solid write-up.

I bet if you were to manufacture this as a kit many on here would spring you buy it.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I'd certainly be willing to build some for folks who need parts.
There are a lot of people in here and on rennlist that would pay for a really well engineered kit

1 - 14 of 14 Posts