Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Malone chip in a V10 and I would like to take it out and put in another V10. How difficult is this to do?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
A chip? Malone does software flash tuning of ECU's I wasn't aware of a Malone chip.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
the
Can't you just swap the two ECUs?
If I recall correctly, there are two ECUs on the V10.

They are a matched pair with one being master, the other being a slave.

And like swans, once matched, that's it for life.

·
Registered
682 Posts
You can tell if it is Malone, because the programmer usually removes the ECU (and leaving/cutting off security bracket)...

VW can also tell if you have a tune.

Get your original file from Malone if it is indeed his flash. Then you can now flash through the port like with Engine - Performance & Chip Tuning - Page 1 - KermaTDI (not affiliated)

They can package on one box:

Your current tune (Malone?)
Kerma tune
Original File

Addon: You can get the orginal file flashed back on, at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in a situation where I have one V10 that has major issues, suspected cracked block. This is a car I purchased on eBay in September. It came with a Malone installed. eBay's buyers protection plan will refund the purchase price which is wonderful as the seller said it was just had the 100k service and all was good. Not so and the seller cannot produce valid paper work. My fault for not demanding it early on.
I bought another V10 and before eBay picks up the car I would like to transfer the Malone to my current car.
My mechanic is telling me that the Malone system with the added torque and hp is going to be harder on the already stressed transmission. Having driven both, the car with the Malone does get better mileage and is much more powerful.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Have you called Malone, told them you own two V10s and the one with the tune now has a dodgy engine and you'd like to return that to standard spec and use the tune on the other car?

Failing that, the Malone tune is $800.

Swapping ECUs is probably going to land you in a world of pain at a far greater cost if you should find you have TWO V10s each with TWO ****ed up ECUs!

Although you get another 50 gee-gees, the torque on the tune only increases by 50 thingummies to 600. The Aisin box, from memory, is good for 700 whatsits.

I'm ignoring the little matter of removing something from a car which technically you don't really own if e-bay or the previous owner are taking it back and refunding you . . . . .

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point about the car going back to eBay. I had not considered this. I will call Malone, most likely I will start fresh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts