Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. New to this, but can't find answers anywhere else. Ive a late 2015 3.0 262 R-Line, with 21in Mallory wheels. The car has standard suspension, so no adaptive dampers or air. The ride quality is choppy at best, and crashy at worst, to the extent that its just annoying to drive.
Is there a solution? Im thinking adjustable shocks but no one seems to do them? or winter tyres? Im currently driving around at 2 bar in the tyres to ease the harshness, but not a realistic long term solution.
Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sell the 21s and buy yourself some 19s! Or 18s, depending on how much flexibility you want in tyre types available. Not much else you can do. Just running your tyres at low pressure is going to be one helluva expensive long-term solution.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the same issue my 2012 has 20 inch wheels with sport suspension. Definitively a ride difference from my previous 2005 with 18 inch wheels. My winter wheels are 18's and the ride is much less rough. Get some 18's prob the cheapest option.

·
Registered
960 Posts
ZThere are more Porsche rims on craiglsist than Touaregs and some nice ones for cheap. I got some 18's with TPMS 6/32 Contacts for 400 bucks in Madison. It was 70 bucks to rebuild 2 TPMS as the valce covers rusted on. Stupin to run metal on metal stems in salty states

·
Learner
5,166 Posts
21s are for looks, makes ride harsh. Best to drop down to 20s or even less.
Much better ride and less gutter rash

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sell the 21s and buy yourself some 19s! Or 18s, depending on how much flexibility you want in tyre types available. Not much else you can do. Just running your tyres at low pressure is going to be one helluva expensive long-term solution.
Not 19 - too few tire choices and they can be expensive.

Go to 18 - bigger choice of tires and better prices.

Fitting winters to 21s won't make any difference, you need a deeper sidewall.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Not 19 - too few tire choices and they can be expensive.

Go to 18 - bigger choice of tires and better prices.

Fitting winters to 21s won't make any difference, you need a deeper sidewall.
It's up to him. 19s certainly have less selection of tires, but you can still get several well-performing types. You can now get Nokian, GY, Pirelli, Toyo, and others. Effectively zero selection if you want AT tires though. I agree that 19s are too expensive for the slight aesthetic benefit of the bigger wheels, but the subby might disagree, especially since he is rocking 21s at the moment.... ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts